• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: Australia vs. Fiji (23/09/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
vTRhZ65.png

Australia.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Fiji.png

Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (23/09/2015, 16:45)
Pool A, Round 2

Referee: Chris Pollock
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png

Teams

Australia: Australia: 15 Israel Folau, 14 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 13 Tevita Kuridrani, 12 Matt Giteau, 11 Rob Horne, 10 Bernard Foley, 9 Will Genia, 8 David Pocock, 7 Michael Hooper, 6 Scott Fardy, 5 Rob Simmons, 4 Kane Douglas, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Stephen Moore (captain), 1 Scott Sio.

Replacements: 16 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17 James Slipper, 18 Greg Holmes, 19 Will Skelton, 20 Dean Mumm, 21 Nick Phipps, 22 Matt Toomua, 23 Kurtley Beale.

Fiji: TBA

Last edited:
Australia to run out comfortable winners after Fiji have a pretty tough opener against the English.

The Aussies have been slipping under the radar a fair bet, and if they top Pool A then there is evry chance of the first ever New Zealand vs Australia final. I have them down as 3rd favourites to win, begin the Kiwis and the English, and I look forward to seeing how they play in this game.

It's a big tournament for Folau too to really carry some momentum forward for the tournament and be the superstar we all know that he is.

Back row has to Pocock, Hooper and Fardy expecting for Fiji to get dominated at the breakdown. I see them having a great game against England (England still to win) then not being able to back it up much like Tonga at the last world cup.

Back row has to Pocock, Hooper and Fardy expecting for Fiji to get dominated at the breakdown. I see them having a great game against England (England still to win) then not being able to back it up much like Tonga at the last world cup.

That's how I'm reading it.

I think Fiji will put on a mighty display on Friday.
I actually think a Fiji win is entirely possible.
If I was betting money I would go for a 4 point England win, and I really hope they do.
After losing their first two games I'm thinking they might have given up mentally by the time we play them.

Nooooo. I bet that Pocock is the starter #8

Might be right although I'm a big fan of legit No. 8s playing that position. Against Fiji you need players who can make the advantage line. Pocock is a fantastic pillager and great to the breakdown but I wonder if he has the correct skill set to play 8 vs the Fijian boys. That being said if they wanna get their best 3 loosies on the filed then perhaps Pocock, Hooper, Fardy is the way to go. Time will tell.

Fiji did not play to their potential against England. Nerves got the better of them. That won't be the case with the Wallabies. This will be a great game but Australia is ready to rumble and will dominate in the last 20

Australia to run out comfortable winners after Fiji have a pretty tough opener against the English.

The Aussies have been slipping under the radar a fair bet, and if they top Pool A then there is evry chance of the first ever New Zealand vs Australia final. I have them down as 3rd favourites to win, begin the Kiwis and the English, and I look forward to seeing how they play in this game.

It's a big tournament for Folau too to really carry some momentum forward for the tournament and be the superstar we all know that he is.

Can't see that as they won't top Pool A IMO. NZ and AU will meet in the semi's IMO.

Tough physical game for the Aussie, they'll be right though, I expect a bonus point win for them. The Fijians will want to improve a bit on the England performance, it's a shame Nadolo won't see much of the ball, they must try their hardest to put him into a bit of space.

I hope Fiji improve their structure in attack - but the preparation has helped their set piece so they could compete until the last 20.

Still i expect the Aussies to win by 25-30.

Too quick a turn around for the Fijians, Aus to be quite comfortable this one as they'll be no opening night nerves like England had. Fiji to target the Wales game now and potentially auto qualification.

*Insert general comment about how messed up it is that Fiji only get a out day rest*

Australia by 10/15.

Australia: 15 Israel Folau, 14 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 13 Tevita Kuridrani, 12 Matt Giteau, 11 Rob Horne, 10 Bernard Foley, 9 Will Genia, 8 David Pocock, 7 Michael Hooper, 6 Scott Fardy, 5 Rob Simmons, 4 Kane Douglas, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Stephen Moore (captain), 1 Scott Sio.
Replacements: [FONT=arial, sans-serif]16 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17 James Slipper, 18 Greg Holmes, 19 Will Skelton, 20 Dean Mumm, 21 Nick Phipps, 22 Matt Toomua, 23 Kurtley Beale.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Probably the starting Wallaby side I'd say and it's a good one, it still annoys me that Nic White isn't anywhere near the side but it's not my team :p . Fiji have a serious battle on their hands, very few back lines in the world outmatch this one, and I can't see them gaining forward dominance against a very tough nuggety Wallaby pack[/FONT]

Australia: 15 Israel Folau, 14 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 13 Tevita Kuridrani, 12 Matt Giteau, 11 Rob Horne, 10 Bernard Foley, 9 Will Genia, 8 David Pocock, 7 Michael Hooper, 6 Scott Fardy, 5 Rob Simmons, 4 Kane Douglas, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Stephen Moore (captain), 1 Scott Sio.
Replacements: [FONT=arial, sans-serif]16 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17 James Slipper, 18 Greg Holmes, 19 Will Skelton, 20 Dean Mumm, 21 Nick Phipps, 22 Matt Toomua, 23 Kurtley Beale.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Probably the starting Wallaby side I'd say and it's a good one, it still annoys me that Nic White isn't anywhere near the side but it's not my team :p . Fiji have a serious battle on their hands, very few back lines in the world outmatch this one, and I can't see them gaining forward dominance against a very tough nuggety Wallaby pack[/FONT]

A bloody good side but for me Toomua is over Giteau and why Horne over Tomane/Speight? Just for his defense?

With the exception of Genia, and possibly Horne - that backline looks incredible. To ask Fiji to play England, the host nation, first up and then turn around and face the only team this year to beat the All Blacks is a giant ask. I know that point has been made to death, but just can't get my head around it. Not only is it a blistering backline, but Hooper AND Pocock are playing together? Yikes. Personally I see the Wallabies topping this pool of death. I rate them over England, Wales are in a world of bother with their injuries, and Fiji will surely be killed by the fast turnaround. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Wallabies put 40 points on them.

My only concern if I was an Aussie fan would be about the busy schedule of Hooper and Pocock. That pairing would have to be employed against England, Wales and the knock out matches imo. Palu should be back at some stage and there is the match against Uruguay but still. I'm not sure what Chekia has up his sleeve selections wise.

Just think its crazy that a super talent like JOC is not even in the squad yet you have a player like Horne starting, I doubt Horne would start on the wing for any other top tier nation.

Just think its crazy that a super talent like JOC is not even in the squad yet you have a player like Horne starting, I doubt Horne would start on the wing for any other top tier nation.

I think Horne is under rated actually; he seems to score a few tries, but I'm sure that they'll be a few changes for the England and Wales matches.

JOC didn't exactly set the world on fire in Super Rugby this year, did he? ... I know he was injured for a lot of it, but what did he do to justify selection?

If you are defending against him, you can pretty much guarantee that he'll run it back at you, and I'd just about keel over if he actually passed the ball to someone else

Latest posts