• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia 27 vs England 17 FT

Ah, i didn't really see much S14 this year, so haven't seen him play for a while
How's his tackling? I imagine Shontayne Hape is pretty hard to put down

Big loss. As you said Barnes has been pretty scrappy this season. To be honest I'd like to see James O'Connor at inside as I believe it is his best position. He has always been a play maker I don't see too much merit in Robbie's obsession with playing him at fullback.

I agree with you wally that his best position is 12. i havent seen that much of him there but when he was there he impressed. he is a pretty good defender olyy but i think he has been caught out more for his positioning then his execution when he was playing 12 so maybe thats why they wont play him there.
i'm fairly nervous about the game. the first australian scrum will determine how we go.

Alrighty all in here now, match 2 of 6 for the day. This is definitely a marathon today.

What are the other two matches? (the four being Ireland/England/France/Scotland)

The media have been talking up the England scrum too much. Just because the Aussie front row doesn't have many caps doesn't mean they aren't going to be good/better than Tim Payne

What are the other two matches? (the four being Ireland/England/France/Scotland)

The media have been talking up the England scrum too much. Just because the Aussie front row doesn't have many caps doesn't mean they aren't going to be good/better than Tim Payne

rugby first then the football, to be honest the Scotland match wasn't even on my radar although it does clash with the football.

Ah, i getya,
I'll be doing the same (Watching the three world cup matches)

Aussie commentators think Australia by 16-18

By picking 100kg + centres Hape and Tindall, it points to England scrapping their (impotent) side to side game to be direct tonight. They'll try and smash Horne and Barnes, kick for territory, back their four strong lineout jumpers and try to gain points.

For me Toby Flood at flyhalf doesn't impress. He plays deep and has poor vision but has a long kicking game, so the preference for him over the more multipurpose Jonny Wilkinson is interesting.

The contest may well be the old England; field position, direct, points accumulation, against a Wallaby outfit full of verve and creativity. The Welsh referee becomes the key. If there is quick ruck ball, the Wallabies to win by at least 15.

Flood has a shorter kicking range than Wilkinson and has been standing flatter too.

Flood has a shorter kicking range than Wilkinson and has been standing flatter too.

he may stand flatter but there's still times when the centres are way too far behind him for that to make a difference.

Has Lee Mears taken George Chuters place? It just showed him warming up :S

EDIT: Nope, he must be water boy or something

Last edited:
Thats very true but hardly Flood's fault.

I remember one game in the 6N where Flood comes on and stands flat... gets the ball and looks around, Riki Flutey is half the pitch away and Flood had no option but to take it in. Ridiculous.

And with coaching like that, that's why we're gonna lose!

I must've taken a blow to the head last night, because it looked like England just won the first scrum :shock:

England very lucky not to concede a try as Owens blows for a suspect forward pass from Cooper (which looked backwards on the replay, and the aussie commentators are baying for Owens blood now)

Last edited:
I must've taken a blow to the head last night, because it looked like England just won the first scrum :shock:

England very lucky not to concede a try as Owens blows for a suspect forward pass from Cooper (which looked backwards on the replay, and the aussie commentators are baying for Owens blood now)

The scrum's the one area I'm confident of an advantage in!

As for the pass, seen them called back and seen them not. Never heard commentators get in such a lather about it...

Elsom try :(
It was coming, really. We've been on the back foot for almost 20minutes now, Australia were going to get points somewhere, just wish it wasn't a try under the posts =/

It would be nice if we tried keeping the ball...

I predict 38 - 24 to Oz

And lol @ Shontayne Hape in the starting 15 for England.

Seen nothing encouraging so far for England, besides the expected advantage in the scrum.

Australian backs finding holes everywhere. tries are going to keep coming.

we need some possession for a while.
hope we don't get a cricket score..

It's a good job Australia put butter on their hands instead of grip wax before the match, they'd have a try or two more if they could hold on to the ball

Oz scrum is a shambles, i see a yellow card being issued quite quickly here.

Latest posts