• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: Australia vs. Fiji (23/09/2015)

And as for fly half, its hard to categorize but quade cooper has more attacking ability than all the other top 10s put together...its just that you can't quite say that about the rest of his game.

Lol, he wouldn't event be our 5th choice 1st five, he hardly has any attacking ability at international level, he is just too ****.

Even struggles at super level.

At his best Will Genia is the best 9 in the world and definitely world class..
But the last few times I've seen him play something's not been quite right with him.

And as for fly half, its hard to categorize but quade cooper has more attacking ability than all the other top 10s put together...its just that you can't quite say that about the rest of his game.

The partnership of those two was at the heart of the reds' and the wallabies' successes a few years back - I'd like OZ to rekindle that spark.

In other news... The difference between England and Australia's breakdown ability is...utterly terrifying. I have a huge amount of man love for Pocock in particular .

A couple things:
At his best Will Genia WAS the best 9 in the world and WAS definitely world class.. He hasn't shown that form for several years though so unless something changes he is not the player he once was.

"Quade cooper has more attacking ability than all the other top 10s put together?" Mate just because the guy tries to throw miracle balls, no look passes and all the other flashy crap doesn't make him a good attacking player, let alone qualify your ridiculous statement. Quade for sure has some great natural abilities but his execution for several years now has been really off. I'll one up your statement and say that not one of the tier 1 teams would swap their current #1 first five for Quade not overall or for his attacking ability. If you can't execute it matters not what potential you might (or might not) have.

Look, I agree with you that Genia and Quade together were good, and it would be lovely for OZ to have that back, but it aint gonna happen. Genia might get the starting half back spot, but I don't believe he will ever be the player he once was, and I think Cooper will be used as a backup 10 at best this world cup.

You guys need to work with what you have got, and thats a solid, 10 in Foley, and a couple average half backs. The game breakers are in the backs and the loose. If they can explode, then OZ are in with a chance at winning most games.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, he wouldn't event be our 5th choice 1st five, he hardly has any attacking ability at international level, he is just too ****.

Even struggles at super level.

On current form he would be lucky to make seem of our ITM cup sides. He certainly wouldn't get a Super Rugby starting spot.

Remember when Phipps was World class that one season way back last year? lol...

After watching the game last night there were some great positives but some big negatives as well.
The positives were Hooper and Pocock, Genia looked ok in the first half and got around the park well and delivered some quick ball. Giteau was good in both attach and defence and will be better for this game. Simmons was good around the park and did a lot of work off the ball. His line out calling was missed when he went off.
Douglas as just a pass mark but didn't dominate at all.
Foley was just a pass mark, made some poor decisions that caused turnovers and a penalty, kicking was a bit off as well, missed some opportunities. Cooper may have an opportunity yet.
Folau was good but not used well by Foley and for that matter neither was Kuridrani for that matter.
I expect that we will get better building into the cup and by the time we meet England we should be playing well enough to get pass them. Bonus point will not mean anything in this pool.

LeaLiifano and Nic White should have been the 9 and 10 combination...

I am a big fan of Lealiifano and agree he should have been at the cup but Nick white is very hot and cold! You can't have a 9 like that in knock out football. Much rather Will and Nick Phipps over Nick White
Matt Toomua is the reason he was left out, Matt had a great year and played well in the Wallabies when given the chance.

I am a big fan of Lealiifano and agree he should have been at the cup but Nick white is very hot and cold! You can't have a 9 like that in knock out football. Much rather Will and Nick Phipps over Nick White
Matt Toomua is the reason he was left out, Matt had a great year and played well in the Wallabies when given the chance.

Mate, you just described your other 9 and 10's. Nic White put in a match winner vs the AB's. I guess the following week he had a howler. But they worked well at the Brumbies, I felt they were the Aus team to beat this year, not the Tahs.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Cheika will rue not taking, Horwill and Higginbotham and sticking Cooper over Lealiifano, he's going to come away looking like a right tool.

We got the win but a lot of work to do in areas like our line out. Fiji are a great team.

I don't believe Genia has been hot and cold. He has been bad over a while now. And I am a Reds supporter! However he has shown that he is playing far better since getting back into the Wallabies. Just remember a 9 and 10 are only good for they getting front foot ball from the piggies. This was the problem with the Reds this last year. It was the AB's problem is Sydney. If Australia can get ascendancy in the forwards and quick ball then all is good with the world. This is going to be the AB's biggest issue this world cup looking at the way the Refs are demanding that there is no slowing down of the ball coming out of the ruck. I think the SA team will also have problems.

I don't believe Genia has been hot and cold. He has been bad over a while now. And I am a Reds supporter! However he has shown that he is playing far better since getting back into the Wallabies. Just remember a 9 and 10 are only good for they getting front foot ball from the piggies. This was the problem with the Reds this last year. It was the AB's problem is Sydney. If Australia can get ascendancy in the forwards and quick ball then all is good with the world. This is going to be the AB's biggest issue this world cup looking at the way the Refs are demanding that there is no slowing down of the ball coming out of the ruck. I think the SA team will also have problems.

Yeah and to be honest a lot of the ball you won in Sydney wasn't exactly legal. I don't think you will get away with it nearly as much in England. I would like you guys to top the group, but I think home advantage is too much for the Poms. You should beat Wales though.

Just on Pocock - Fantastic player, one of the best in the world at the moment. But I find his technique at times illegal. He often gets over the ball and supports his body weight with his head. Also this centre of gravity makes him very hard to remove from rucks. Now I know why he wears head gear - as a cushion!

Last edited:
Yeah and to be honest a lot of the ball you won in Sydney wasn't exactly legal. I don't think you will get away with it nearly as much in England. I would like you guys to top the group, but I think home advantage is too much for the Poms. You should beat Wales though.

Just on Pocock - Fantastic player, one of the best in the world at the moment. But I find his technique at times illegal. He often gets over the ball and supports his body weight with his head. Also this centre of gravity makes him very hard to remove from rucks. Now I know why he wears head gear - as a cushion!

LOL Pocock, he has an exceptionally low centre of gravity an extremely strong over the ball, and if he is injured I don't believe we can win the World Cup. However if he remains injury free with Hooper then England will have have their worst nightmare in controlling them at the breakdown. This will be the difference between the two sides not the mighty English scrum that they are pining their hopes on.

Are you trying to tell us that you think Pocock is a cheat? :)

don't answer that :p

Ref was a mystery. I guess smartcookie will explain why no penalty for Fiji on the yellow card at 71 mins. And no knock-on advantage a few minutes later.

I haven't seen it.

Are you saying that a yellow card was awarded without a penalty? If so, that usually only happens when a try has been scored under advantage for a cynical offence or dangerous play.

Yeah, was expecting Ireland's Call - most successful team at that stadium. Apart from Wales' pint chugging team (women's division).

Ref was a mystery. I guess smartcookie will explain why no penalty for Fiji on the yellow card at 71 mins. And no knock-on advantage a few minutes later.

I thought he was binned for not rolling away and Fiji went for the Scrum

- - - Updated - - -

why did they need to in squeeze 3 games today anyway. There's only 1 game being played tomorrow the all blacks vs Namibia. (Unless it's different in NH time zone ). They could have had some of these games tomorrow. Esp the Japan game 4 days rest in a World Cup is ridiculous
They had to play Scotland v Japan yesterday due to Scotland playing USA on Sunday

I just think it's a bit of a d1ck move to turn up to a game where your team isn't playing and sing your team's song, don't you?

It's down to a lack of alternative - it's the most obvious thing they have to create an atmosphere.

How would that work? Either you have to lose 4 teams or gain 12 otherwise having an uneven number of pools brings its own problems (more luck of the draw for quarter-final qualification or repêchage games putting the sides that play them at a big disadvantage).
You could do it like in football where you often have the x best 3rd-placed teams qualifying. That sucks, but the current mode at the RWC probably sucks even more.

I'm kind of in two minds about Australia. Part of me thinks they could slip under the radar and get into the final (a lot of challenges along the way of course). But to do this they'll have to be consistently good, not get too sloppy, and try their best to remain injury free (beyond their control really). The last one is important because as was pointed out, Pocock is mammoth for them in so many ways. Regardless of whether his technique was always legal, he and Hooper in tandem were a major part in making our forward's job difficult in Sydney.

I would also suggest the Wallabies will want to avoid a situation whereby Quade Cooper has to come into play 10. That should be fine against Uruguay. But a nightmare against England, and very risky against Wales. The guy has an eye for holes in the defense and can put the foot down to create all sorts of havoc. But he can also botcher restarts when under pressure, throw crazy passes that don't work out, and be totally off with the placement kicks.

On paper the Wallabies have a fantastic squad though. Just amazing. But there are a lot of variables for them. I would also like to give Stephen Moore a mention. I think he's vitally important for them. When they come up against physical packs like England, Springboks, and the All Blacks then he's the type of guy they need. I'm also going to quietly observe how they perform when the pressure truly comes on. They won the Rugby Championship, but they had a very favorable draw where they played the Boks and ABs at home in a shortened competition. There's little doubt in my mind they go up a couple of notches at home. But now they don't have those comforts, so we'll see.

Latest posts