• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership Final - Tigers vs Saints

Today has made a mockery of the game.

Just going to drive players to play for the team that'll pay them the most tbh, if the price of passion is a red card, why bother???

The saddest thing is this mistake by Hartley will cost him more than any mistake or bias by a ref has cost a ref in the last 10 years. THis onesided public school esqe dynamic in what is supposedly a professional sport can only hold it back.

Just going to drive players to play for the team that'll pay them the most tbh, if the price of passion is a red card, why bother???

The saddest thing is this mistake by Hartley will cost him more than any mistake or bias by a ref has cost a ref in the last 10 years. THis onesided public school esqe dynamic in what is supposedly a professional sport can only hold it back.

Dont be so soft . I like Dylan Hartley as a player but you have to control you temper . If the refs allow it to get out of hand the whole team will be chasing the ref like in footballs
also does anyone know Dylan Hartley personally ? Ben Kay said on tv he's a really nice guy but too competitive for his own good . Just wondering if anyone has a specific reason to question his personality ?

Last edited:
Dont be so soft . I like Dylan Hartley as a player but you have to control you temper . If the refs allow it to get out of hand the whole team will be chasing the ref like in football

I doubt the whole team would ever be chasing the ref. I don't think the circumstances of his 'offense' are really anything to do with a lack of self control, in the normal sense of the words.

Well done Tigers. If Dylan swore at the ref and called him a cheat well he deserves to walk. The minis and youth teams are taught respect to refs and he should know better. I like the guy but bloody heck you can't keep defending the half-wit. Again well done Leicester feel a little sorry that Hartley is the main talking point and not the record win for them

Today has made a mockery of the game.Just going to drive players to play for the team that'll pay them the most tbh, if the price of passion is a red card, why bother??? The saddest thing is this mistake by Hartley will cost him more than any mistake or bias by a ref has cost a ref in the last 10 years. THis onesided public school esqe dynamic in what is supposedly a professional sport can only hold it back.
What a ridiculous justification. If I call you a ****ing cheat, its okay because I'm angry? If you want to see what the effects of letting entitled shits ridicule refs, juat look at football. So, sending a player off for being a twat will make them move abroad? Look at Delon Armitage. He moved abroad and he's still a twat.

I'm not usually bothered by Cockerill, but today he has been a top class ****.

His ridiculously over the top reaction to a perfectly legitimate tackle, and subsequent concussion caused by a stray knee, along with his insistance after the fact are embarrassing.
As Dorian West rightfully pointed out. Someone at Leicester needs to get him to wind his ****ing neck in.

When players disrespect the ref then they deserve a card. That is one thing which rugby has that many other sports do not, the ref is King and his rule is law. Respect him like you would respect your father. He is in charge. Hartley has been in the game long enough to know never to have a go at the ref, especially in a final.

There's no problem showing some passion, but calling the ref a 'fu**ing cheat' isn't showing passion, it's being abusive. He'd already been warned, and as a captain he should lead by example and act like a professional. It's Hartley that is making a mockery of the game by being a foul mouthed thug (combination of today and all the previous incidents he's been involved in).

Mistakes made by a referee are comparable to a player knocking the ball on, not verbally abusing someone.

Rugby is a game built on respect, it is wholly unacceptable for a player to abuse that. I'm sure most refs will let a reactionary comment like 'Oh fu**ing hell' slide the one time (probably what Barnes spoke to Hartley about in the first place), but to do it more than once, and call the ref a cheat is 100% a red-card offence, and Hartley should see a ban of some description from it as well.

What Hartley did wasn't passion, it was uncontrolled frustration. Having been a captain for a long time, Hartley should know that answering back to the referee is silly. But to accuse of cheating is a much higher offense and it's just stupid of Hartley to do that. He failed to control his frustration, he paid the price. Myler was the one penalised, and he didn't feel the need to insult the ref. Guys like Foden and Burrell, for me, showed much more passion than Hartley did. They took that frustration and didn't let it get to them, and just played really well.

Respect for the ref is a very important aspect of rugby. Penalise it hard, and we can avoid the flamboyance and drama of football.

What a ridiculous justification. If I call you a ****ing cheat, its okay because I'm angry? If you want to see what the effects of letting entitled shits ridicule refs, juat look at football. So, sending a player off for being a twat will make them move abroad? Look at Delon Armitage. He moved abroad and he's still a twat.

Yeah and he's got a Heinekin medal, big fat paycheck, and can probably do whatever he likes, because he knows that Mourad and his lawyers/managers have his back. More than he'd get in the UK.

Its worth noting that Hartley maintains he didn't say it to the ref, and tbh its highly unlikely anyone would accuse the ref of cheating. All we have is a ref unrevealing camera angles and a redfaced, out of control Barnes.

That was one of the craziest matches I have seen in a while. Hartley is fool for saying what he said, especially after being warned by Barnes.

When players disrespect the ref then they deserve a card. That is one thing which rugby has that many other sports do not, the ref is King and his rule is law. Respect him like you would respect your father. He is in charge. Hartley has been in the game long enough to know never to have a go at the ref, especially in a final.

Yeah well this is the thing. There is a world of difference between the public school sporting ethos of rugby, and the reality of it as a professional (for pay) game.

Yeah well this is the thing. There is a world of difference between the public school sporting ethos of rugby, and the reality of it as a professional (for pay) game.

Not really it's an excellent quality to have. I know plenty of fans of other sports who are jealous of rugby having a good ethos.

There's no problem showing some passion, but calling the ref a 'fu**ing cheat' isn't showing passion, it's being abusive. He'd already been warned, and as a captain he should lead by example and act like a professional. It's Hartley that is making a mockery of the game by being a foul mouthed thug (combination of today and all the previous incidents he's been involved in).

Mistakes made by a referee are comparable to a player knocking the ball on, not verbally abusing someone.

Rugby is a game built on respect, it is wholly unacceptable for a player to abuse that. I'm sure most refs will let a reactionary comment like 'Oh fu**ing hell' slide the one time (probably what Barnes spoke to Hartley about in the first place), but to do it more than once, and call the ref a cheat is 100% a red-card offence, and Hartley should see a ban of some description from it as well.

What Hartley did wasn't passion, it was uncontrolled frustration. Having been a captain for a long time, Hartley should know that answering back to the referee is silly. But to accuse of cheating is a much higher offense and it's just stupid of Hartley to do that. He failed to control his frustration, he paid the price. Myler was the one penalised, and he didn't feel the need to insult the ref. Guys like Foden and Burrell, for me, showed much more passion than Hartley did. They took that frustration and didn't let it get to them, and just played really well.

Respect for the ref is a very important aspect of rugby. Penalise it hard, and we can avoid the flamboyance and drama of football.

I genuinely don't think rugby is at risk of becoming like football.

Again, Hartley said that he did not swear at a ref, but another player. There has been no video footage proving that Hartley directed it at Barnes. I don't see why a player would call the ref a 'cheat' anyways.

Not really it's an excellent quality to have. I know plenty of fans of other sports who are jealous of rugby having a good ethos.

Yeah but the difference between fan and player/team is massive.

And plenty of fans don't like the flipside of the rugby ethos tbh, like long international bans if you do what any other normal bloke does on a night out and takes a **** in a bush (see Danny Care).

So will Hartley have a chance to plead his case so he doesn't miss the tour?

Yeah and he's got a Heinekin medal, big fat paycheck, and can probably do whatever he likes, because he knows that Mourad and his lawyers/managers have his back. More than he'd get in the UK. Its worth noting that Hartley maintains he didn't say it to the ref, and tbh its highly unlikely anyone would accuse the ref of cheating. All we have is a ref unrevealing camera angles and a redfaced, out of control Barnes.
Riiiighhht, not really a response to my point, is it? How is that related to playerss moving abroad due to harsh refereeing? On the Armitage point though, that Heineken Cup medal is no cure for being a mouthy ****.

Yeah and he's got a Heinekin medal, big fat paycheck, and can probably do whatever he likes, because he knows that Mourad and his lawyers/managers have his back. More than he'd get in the UK.

Its worth noting that Hartley maintains he didn't say it to the ref, and tbh its highly unlikely anyone would accuse the ref of cheating. All we have is a ref unrevealing camera angles and a redfaced, out of control Barnes.
Read this as, "All we have is a ref unrevealing, camera angles ..." :mellow:

I wouldn't be devastated if Hartley decided to go to France...

Please take Ashton too.

It's two am so don't be to harsh on my unfocussed rant below.

Look even if Hartly didn't swear at the Ref he was repeatedly swearing due to frustration with the Ref, so in essence it was direct towards Barnes. I don't understand what Refing being harsh and players being dicks has got o do with all the foreigners in France Refs should (not that they are) be the same everywhere. Also rugby is a game of respect you bash the **** out of each other for an hour and a half and then shake hands, if that is lost ruby dies. Hartly should know better and will get what he deserves his record won;t do him any help so it looks like hes just pulled a Quinlin and ruled himself out of the lions before he even got to Aus.

Forget about Hartley since he doesn't deserve anyone's attention.

Well done Leicester. Whatever you think about Cockerill, he runs a fantastic club.

Latest posts