• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup - Pool 2, Round 3 (Castres, Harlequins, Leinster, Wasps)

What, and the French commentary wont be biased for Castres?

for a fact as a person who watches both on the regular, no. Our commentators will openly show what side they're for on occasion, but you don't hear the sarcastic tone against the opposing team you do from Celtic/UK or other (Aus, NZ) based networks. I was watching the Ospreys Racing match yesterday and the guys were BLASTING the Top 14 (with unjust, incompetent and ignorant remarks mind you) on repetition or making sarcastic remarks about Racing players (I remember on against Claassen for eg).

Anyways: Castres going to lose this..

- - - Updated - - -

lol about Lamerat "he's not a huge man, but he plays bigger than he is". You seen his body ?? His thighs are the size of my torso, each. He's a 105kg center..

- - - Updated - - -

"you don't see the Castres pack go back at Pierre-Antoine like that" they're playing Yohan Montès at TH and have had the worst front row injury list in all the country !

for a fact as a person who watches both on the regular, no. Our commentators will openly show what side they're for on occasion, but you don't hear the sarcastic tone against the opposing team you do from Celtic/UK or other (Aus, NZ) based networks. I was watching the Ospreys Racing match yesterday and the guys were BLASTING the Top 14 (with unjust, incompetent and ignorant remarks mind you) on repetition or making sarcastic remarks about Racing players (I remember on against Claassen for eg).

- - - Updated - - -

lol about Lamerat "he's not a huge man, but he plays bigger than he is". You seen his body ?? His thighs are the size of my torso, each. He's a 105kg center..

- - - Updated - - -

"you don't see the Castres pack go back at Pierre-Antoine like that" they're playing Yohan Montès at TH and have had the worst front row injury list in all the country !

Seeing as I'd not be able to understand a French commentary, I'll take your word for it

- - - Updated - - -

To be serious for one second.....I am not one of those who could possibly say that Sky have a decent commentating team but the most I could accuse them of is playing to their customers (ie being homers) and a general ignorance of Top 14 rugby that is gradually getting less due to their now showing Top 14 games.

It used to gall me when they (in particular Morris who trots out platitudes that he remembers being used years previously) were going on and on and on about Biarritz and how immensely strong and brilliant they were in the backs with a huge pack that wastes the talents available to the team in the back line.....this when week in week out I was watching them and the backs were cr*p and the forwards not much better!!!

In my opinion, the "sarcasm" that you hear is more in your reception than in the delivery of what they believe to be "humour"!!

Last edited:
Seeing as I'd not be able to understand a French commentary, I'll take your word for it

yeah like you'll hear Marc Lièvremont (remember, our previous coach) call a Wallabies vs Lions June game and you hear him get mad openly that Aus missed a try or missed a tackle leading to a Lions try, because the Lions for us is just UK, i.e. England. So we're for the Wallabies (which we respect and love anyways for their running style) and you hear him get agitated openly, no problem. But you won't hear dirty comments or weird jealous remarks about anybody's league or their players during a match or wtvr. That's UK/Celtic (again, amongst others). Not in the French culture..

The issue I have with Sky's commentators are with the "colour commentators". Barnes, Morris etc, they often show outdated, cliched or just unfunny opinions. The "play by play" commentators they use, Harrison, Gillingam, Robson are actually good and sound like they both know and are enjoying what theyre watching.

On that note BT wins because Kay, Monye etc are better at portraying their understanding of the game whilst making it entertaining

In my opinion, the "sarcasm" that you hear is more in your reception than in the delivery of what they believe to be "humour"!!

Claassen rolling a bit on the ground, Irish guy goes "rolling, rolling, rolling, rolling....hah, he won't be able to stand up he's rolled so much". That's not innocent, and he'd never make that comment about a Pro 12 club. Obvious bias is obvious.

Then talking about the Top 14: "yeah those Top 14 sides just play their style, they try to get you disinterested, get you bored to death". With an "eyes to the sky" tone in the voice.
That's pretty bad, man. :lol: amazingly unprofessional.

The issue I have with Sky's commentators are with the "colour commentators". Barnes, Morris etc, they often show outdated, cliched or just unfunny opinions. The "play by play" commentators they use, Harrison, Gillingam, Robson are actually good and sound like they both know and are enjoying what theyre watching.

On that note BT wins because Kay, Monye etc are better at portraying their understanding of the game whilst making it entertaining

Dewi has never had an original rugby thought in his commentating life......when he was on rugby club, all he did was to reiterate what had already been said and in his commentary, you are right, espouses only outdated thoughts he has heard others utter at some stage in the past without reference to the current form or players!!

Gillingham (who knows more about French rugby than any Brit) and Kaye would be my "dream team" commentators with Greenwood in the studio to analyse, preview and sum up!! Special mention to Cotter also but this is perhaps not the thread for all this!!!!

Been a better game so far than I thought it would be.

mmmyez...Castres looking their usual Euro selves. A complete motherfukking rollercoaster. Give away a try like they weren't on the pitch at all. Ripost with an amazing try themselves the very following sequence. Ridiculous...and Castrais. They don't know how to play a consistent 80min in the Euro Cup. They just don't.

- - - Updated - - -

watch for Babillot in the second half, flanker on the bench (mixed guy black/white). They only pull him out during Euro season, never Top 14, and he's super young but promising, very sound technically and a great defender. An 'espoir' for me for the future. Smart young kid, did judo so he's got that clever/technical approach. Needs tons more game time though..

Anyone have a site where you can see the attendance figures.............it would appear to me that overall they must be down as, apart from the Munster game, I have not seen a stadium anywhere near full (bear in mind I have not watched games shown on BT Sport where there may have been more games with fuller stadia!).

Interesting for a "rugby mad" (Gillingham's words) small town like Castres, the stadium is not even half full........

Edit..........Edwards just saying that the French team "are not that fit, they are not that fit"!!!!!!!!! That is how they manage to play the games that they play at the intensity that they play?!!!!

That used to be true Edwards but not anymore................

Last edited:
Anyone have a site where you can see the attendance figures.............it would appear to me that overall they must be down as, apart from the Munster game, I have not seen a stadium anywhere near full (bear in mind I have not watched games shown on BT Sport where there may have been more games with fuller stadia!).

Interesting for a "rugby mad" (Gillingham's words) small town like Castres, the stadium is not even half full........

Edit..........Edwards just saying that the French team "are not that fit, they are not that fit"!!!!!!!!! That is how they manage to play the games that they play at the intensity that they play?!!!!

That used to be true Edwards but not anymore................
Yeah I don't think anyone who watched the Clermont game last night thought '****, these guys just can't keep up with Munster here'

For two middle/bottom of their league teams this is one hell of a match with some enterprising rugby!!! V Enjoyable though....

Also good to have the Sky guys actually there (as opposed to being in a cupboard under the stairs in Isleworth) as you hear so much more of the crowd, the players and sidelines which only adds to the atmosphere!!

don't know if that was obstruction so much, but oh well..

- - - Updated - - -

wth's been wrong with Kockott's goal kicking lately.....

Can anyone else hear the Wasps backroom staff screaming from the sideline at the Ref?

"Far side ref, far side"

" White offside ref, offside"

Surely the third official should put a stop to that...................

wth's been wrong with Kockott's goal kicking lately.....

Reckon he has lost interest in playing for Castres................

Stupid pettiness from the Castres loosehead. Hits Haskell in the face with the ball, Haskell pushes him off. Then the prop pretends to be hurt, and lays down, come on this is not football.

Wasps giving the ball up too easily, Castres looking headless. As a Wasps fan this game is frustrating, but I imagine just as frustrating for a Castres fan too.

Ewis- I hope you are not listening to the Dewi drivel? Whether he is biased or not does not matter. He is just depressing and boring.

What a stupid effing decision..................