• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

While I wouldn't laugh off a recall for Cole, I also don't think it's the right thing to do, purely because it's a step backwards.
Yeah I'm only half serious - if the world cup were this summer not next then I'd be fully serious though
The two best English tightheads are Cole and Collier atm, Cole is experienced enough that he can just drop in on a days notice realistically
Collier needs to tour this summer (though I don't think he will)

Think Schonert is a better scrummager than Sinckler and Stuart, too - he finished the season stupidly strongly

EJ seems to think scrummaging is a "nice to have" for his props, though

While Collier's hands aren't at Sinckler's level, he's actually capable of being quite skilful. Given there isn't much between him and Schonert at scrum time, I'd say that gives him a slight edge.

I didn't expect him to tour, but if Sinckler is out of contention, I wouldn't be totally surprised if he did. I know it was 5 years ago, but Eddie did take him to Argentina and he's in better form now than he was back then.

While Collier's hands aren't at Sinckler's level, he's actually capable of being quite skilful. Given there isn't much between him and Schonert at scrum time, I'd say that gives him a slight edge.

I didn't expect him to tour, but if Sinckler is out of contention, I wouldn't be totally surprised if he did. I know it was 5 years ago, but Eddie did take him to Argentina and he's in better form now than he was back then.
In a way Sincklers hands are "too good", he loves popping the ball on rather than taking it hard into contact at times when it doesn't benefit us for him to do that. A great additional feature but not at the cost of the basics of a prop. I feel Sinckler has been focusing too much on the nice extras to the detriment of the basics.

100% agree. Sinckler is probably still our best tighthead, but IMO he's gone backwards since he got sparked out in the final. A back to basics approach would do him a lot of good.

I don't know if you can pick players solely for the set piece these days, but first and foremost, I want the props to be there for the nuts and bolts and leave the fancy stuff to others. Collier isn't going to make pop passes like Sinckler or miss passes like Furlong, but he might well fold a few looseheads, which would do just fine for me.

Any coincidence that Antonio plays for both the Champions Cup winners and GS winners? And as enormous as he is, he's paired with monsters in Skelton and Wilemse. Definitely basics first.

100% agree. Sinckler is probably still our best tighthead, but IMO he's gone backwards since he got sparked out in the final. A back to basics approach would do him a lot of good.

I don't know if you can pick players solely for the set piece these days, but first and foremost, I want the props to be there for the nuts and bolts and leave the fancy stuff to others. Collier isn't going to make pop passes like Sinckler or miss passes like Furlong, but he might well fold a few looseheads, which would do just fine for me.
He runs lines, makes ground in contact and presents the ball well on top of his set piece. Solid defender, and he's in form too.

I'm biased, but we've been picking worse props. Moon and Williams anyone?

I don't think we have been picking worse props than Moon and Williams tbh

Williams I put on a level with Stuart, but Stuart has shown glimpses of being a very good player/having a higher ceiling, which I guess is why EJ has invested so much time in him

Genge and Marler (and Mako) are better than Moon

Williams I put on a level with Stuart, but Stuart has shown glimpses of being a very good player/having a higher ceiling, which I guess is why EJ has invested so much time in him

Moon and Williams are the 'worse props' I was referring to. They did a job at the time, but I wouldn't want them back.

Totally agree...theres a real good tight head in there. It just feels like a top class TH coach just needs to get hold of him and drag it out of him.

Totally agree...theres a real good tight head in there. It just feels like a top class TH coach just needs to get hold of him and drag it out of him.
There might be a good tight head in there but there isn't a good head on those shoulders. The number of times Stuart makes complete stupid decisions and makes the same stupid mistakes over and over. He seems like a guy who doesn't learn, same as Ewels.

Yeah, that's fair. He is a bit of a repeat offender when it comes to dumb penalties.

It probably isn't a coincidence that Stuart's best rugby was played under Dai Young, but he does need to switch on or he runs the risk of being a player who was OK but could have been a lot better.

Tbh he's playing for Bath. I thought giving away stupid penalties in a clause in the contract.

I'm on the Eddie Jones hype train with 3 10s.

10 Ford
12 Smith
13 Farrell

You know we all want it.

Manu made himself unavailable for selection this summer, having a (supposedly) optional surgery to try and see him through to the world cup

I'm all in on the Smith/Farrell/Marchant hype train
This is the obvious (and best) combination IMO. What worries me is that Freeman was reportedly training at 13. It's not that I don't rate him, I just don't understand why we'd mess around with a 15/winger in the centres when we have a very good option with Marchant who fully deserves his spot.

This is the obvious (and best) combination IMO. What worries me is that Freeman was reportedly training at 13. It's not that I don't rate him, I just don't understand why we'd mess around with a 15/winger in the centres when we have a very good option with Marchant who fully deserves his spot.
Agreed, ive said before i dont massivly rate Freeman, good player all round but nothing so special IMO. If he isnt a centre then why even try it, unless its incase he has to cover mid game in which im all for Marchant training on the wing, freeman at centre. But not to actually play in them positions.

Latest posts