• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

There are loads of centre pairings we probably need to try but we don't really have enough time and I really hope we don't pin all our WC hopes on Manu being fit only for him to be injured again.

I want to Merchant get a run out but who with?
12 Slade 13 Merchant

But also want to see

12 Atkinson 13 Slade

But I have a fear Farrell will forced in somewhere even though he shouldn't be.

I think we all feel the same way about Farrell TBH.

It's similar with Tuilagi. Given his injury record he's almost always picked for what he can do not what is actually doing.

Picking an England backs set-up on form at the moment is very tricky.

It would probably look like: 9. Randall 10. Smith 11. Marchant 12. Dingwall 13. Slade 14. Nowell 15. Furbank

I don't think anyone seriously wants that lineup (still a lot better than Stephen Jones' effort), but if Eddie does recall Nowell and picks Furbank again, at least there is a case to say they're in good form.

Personally, I'd go for:

9. Youngs 10. Smith 11. Malins 12. Slade 13. Marchant 14. Nowell 15. Steward

A lot of the players involved in the AIs haven't played that much rugby. I'd like to see more of the Slade/MARchant partnership in midfield, particularly given both are in good form. The trouble is, Marchant has been playing at least as much of his rugby on the wing as he has at 13 and with Farrell to accommodate, I strongly suspect he'll be brought in at 12 with Marchant being moved out wide. Generally I'd prefer Radwan over Nowell but with form in the equation, I would go for the latter, particularly considering he loves to score against Scotland.

Farrell's been out of form for ages, hasn't played in 2 months and his captaincy is more Joe Root than Mike Brearley.

Quite apart from anything else Jones has a great opportunity here to both see how the team copes without Faz and to give him a boot up the backside. All of which can be wrapped up as having learnt a lesson about not playing rusty players. If needs be it would be straightforward to parachute Faz back in at a later date. Similar with Manu, let him sit this one out regardless.

A midfield of Smith, Slade (if he can get comfortable at 12) and Marchant sounds great. But I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with that behind a non dominant pack, which is what we have at the moment. Also need to factor in that style of play in the 6N can be a bit weather dependent.

Slade at 13 with Atkinson at 12 seems to make more sense now. I think Malins and Marchant will duke it out for a 'footballing' wing slot and likewise Radwan and May for a 'gas' wing position.

Does anyone know if Jones got agreement to increase his 6N squad numbers from 28 to 32 last week? That will have a big impact on his selections

I am going to go out on a limb and say that Jones will not select Farrell. He has't played a game and so cant be match fit.

I like Jack Nowell, but lets face it, he is not a prolific try scorer and having lost 10kg doesn't have the heft that he used to so I just don't see him as an international player. Also, he is in a group with Manu, Watson and Billy who are just very injury prone which makes it difficult for any of them to be integral squad members.

Also quite hard to see any justification for May's inclusion, he can't even get in his club side any more

Is 28 players an EPS thing?
Every other team names 32-36 man squads
the 28 man squad was put in place for last year's 6N as part of the Covid protocols. A proposal went to the Professional Game Board last week to increase it to 32. If that was not agreed then he can only pick 28

Just found this:

England are set to limit their squad size to 28 members for the upcoming Six Nations tournament following the concerns due to pandemic coronavirus.

It is reported that England coach Eddie Jones will name a 32-member squad to assemble for training on Monday with the size expected to be trimmed to 23 to 25 with the remaining players set to be released for club duties.

A statement released by the Rugby Football Union read that an agreement has been reached with the RPA and Premiership Rugby that 28-member squad will be retained in the bio-bubble during the entire match weeks to ensure there is no Covid-19 outbreak.

"In recognition of the challenges presented by Covid-19, Premiership Rugby, the RPA and the RFU have agreed that England will retain a 28-player squad," an RFU statement read.

Kyle Hatherell attracting local newspaper hype...

It'd be unlike the Worcester News to get a scoop on anything; "Resident angry about pothole" or "police tweeted this" is more normal, but you never know...

Just found this:

England are set to limit their squad size to 28 members for the upcoming Six Nations tournament following the concerns due to pandemic coronavirus.

It is reported that England coach Eddie Jones will name a 32-member squad to assemble for training on Monday with the size expected to be trimmed to 23 to 25 with the remaining players set to be released for club duties.

A statement released by the Rugby Football Union read that an agreement has been reached with the RPA and Premiership Rugby that 28-member squad will be retained in the bio-bubble during the entire match weeks to ensure there is no Covid-19 outbreak.

"In recognition of the challenges presented by Covid-19, Premiership Rugby, the RPA and the RFU have agreed that England will retain a 28-player squad," an RFU statement read.
As far as I can see those words were from a statement ahead of the 2021 tournament. I keep reading that it will be either 32 or even 36. I guess we'll just have to wait until 11.45 tomorrow......

No mentions for Lozowski anywhere?

Kyle Hatherell attracting local newspaper hype...

It'd be unlike the Worcester News to get a scoop on anything; "Resident angry about pothole" or "police tweeted this" is more normal, but you never know...

What?
He's a good prem player but literally it.
Too small for international 6
Not good enough over ball for 7
Not ask big a carrier for 8

It seems to have come from Chris Jones saying it on the BBC rugby union weekly podcast actually. He just said Jones was keeping an eye, and considering he talks to him regularly frequently, I'd say he's probably right

Latest posts