• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

I'm not really talking about numbers of players so much as injury-hit teams that will be losing some of their solutions to the training camp. England are apparently picking Orlando Bailey for it. Bath might also lose Ewels and Stuart as well as Underhill, maybe Spencer too.
I'd be surprised if Spencer got a look in. Long term injury and only just returned plus surely there must be more dynamic/younger options out there.

I just want Dan Cole and Josh Bassett in and i'm happy.

From Wasps our contenders surely are:

Strong Chance: Barbeary
Possible: T Willis, West, Stooke
Outside Change: Umaga (Jones always seems to like him), Atkinson (as a apprentice), Odogwu, Frost, Shields, Crossdale

Realistically with J Wilis, Launchbury and Robson out we are unlikely to get many to any call ups but if i had to pick I wouldn't rule out Barbeary or T Willis. I'd pick them both over Hatherell and Ackermann.

Well as long as Umaga is somewhere with a good tackle coach that will be great as he needs to sort out his technique - not the first English flyhalf that applies to mind

I think he is a fantastic ball player but needs to improve his tackling and his kicking

I would imagine he could be one hell of a sevens player. Has he ever been looked at by the England set up for that?

Quins too. We could be 6 or 7 first team players down (Marler, Smith, Dombrandt, Marchant likely plus possibly Northmore, Collier and Lynagh).
Yep, this could be a real problem for Quins. Mail has said that Murley has also been looked at and Walker's been mentioned as an outside shout.

Well as long as Umaga is somewhere with a good tackle coach that will be great as he needs to sort out his technique - not the first English flyhalf that applies to mind

I think he is a fantastic ball player but needs to improve his tackling and his kicking

I would imagine he could be one hell of a sevens player. Has he ever been looked at by the England set up for that?
He was good for us in the 7's tournament but not quick enough. I don't think he will get picked and to be honest hasn't played well enough to get into the squad. Atkinson has more chance like bailey as an apprentice.

Yep, this could be a real problem for Quins. Mail has said that Murley has also been looked at and Walker's been mentioned as an outside shout.
Suddenly Wasps grand plan of having everyone injured and returning in late Jan is paying off... mwahaha

Having to play 15 for Wasps when he isn't really big enough or got the defensive game has really not helped him afaic

Having to play 15 for Wasps when he isn't really big enough or got the defensive game has really not helped him afaic
No that's very true... he does ok there when we attack but isn't made for it. It's a tough positon and i'm not sure he's the best at tackling so keep him at 10. Recently (until the two reds) he's been making his tackles really well in the 10 channel.

Crossdale has to be our long term 15. He was another one who Jones loved when at Sarries.

Also interesting one from the Wasps camp. Robson, Launchbury and Odogwu are all back. Odogwu started, Robson and Launchbury to play vs Sarries end of Jan.

Do any get picked? I mean i think Robson seems out of contention with Youngs, Quirke etc. and Odogwu may struggle to usurp Marchant, Slade etc but Launchbury has been touted by Sky Sports as a call up.

Does Launchbury usurp any of the current second rows to get straight back into the squad? If he's fit, then it wouldn't surprise me. He's absolute class and for me is Englands 3rd best second row option (Behind Itoje/Lawes)

Also interesting one from the Wasps camp. Robson, Launchbury and Odogwu are all back. Odogwu started, Robson and Launchbury to play vs Sarries end of Jan.

Do any get picked? I mean i think Robson seems out of contention with Youngs, Quirke etc. and Odogwu may struggle to usurp Marchant, Slade etc but Launchbury has been touted by Sky Sports as a call up.

Does Launchbury usurp any of the current second rows to get straight back into the squad? If he's fit, then it wouldn't surprise me. He's absolute class and for me is Englands 3rd best second row option (Behind Itoje/Lawes)
I would rather pick Launchbury than Ewels/Hill and I don't think it's very close if they're both in good nick. Just a case of what condition he's in. It's been a while now since Launchbury has had a good run of competitive games

Ok so 36 Man Squad that i would pick is:

Loose Head: Marler, Genge, Rodd
Hooker: Cowan-Dickie, George, Blamire
Tight Head: Sinckler, Collier, Stuart
Second Row: Itoje, Launchbury, Hill, Lawes, Martin
Back Row: T Curry, Dombrandt, Simmonds, T Willis, Underhill, Barbeary
Scrum Halves: Youngs, Quirke, Randall
Fly Halfs: Smith, Farrell, (Bailey/F Smith/Atkinson - one of these 3)
Centres: Slade, Tuilagi (If Fit), Marchant, Northmore, Kelly
Back Three: Steward, May, Malins, Hassel-Collins, Radwan

I think this is roughly 35/36 excluding apprentices. I'd expect 2 forward apprentices and maybe 2 in backline if chosen - one of the forwards i'd have in as an apprentice is Ollie Chessum - awesome player)

Last edited:
Isn't there also a limit to how many players Jones can change between squad selections?

I don't understand why tbh, surely he should just pick who is playing the best and deserves to be.

Hoping for
1. Rodd
2. Singleton
3. Collier
4. Ewels
5. Itoje
6. Ludlow
7. Hatherall
8. Ackermann
9. Randall
10. Bailey
11. Daly
12. Farrell
13. Atkinson
14. May
15. Furbank

So i reckon Underhill may not get picked.... from what i have read he may not be selected and he's been a little injury prone for me atm. Completely forgot about Radwan and yes i'd select him ahead of Lynagh/Nowell
Changed my mind.. Underhill in and Earl out.

Latest posts