• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

So Borthwick has 2 years to take the ***le to Welford Road before he departs....

Edit why does t.i.t.l.e bring up ...***

Last edited:
Am pretty confident it'll be cockerill tbh
That'd be my guess

As much as the England job would be a pretty big carrot dangled in front of Borthwick I don't think he'd duck out on Leicester after such a short amount* of time (unless they win everything going in the next two seasons)
I imagine the RFU will be sounding people out sooner rather than later

*I know he kinda did for Bristol, but he'd technically not started that yet

Im not sure Cockerill is the answer as Head Coach. Forwards coach yes.

Just reminds me of Andy Robinson, Brian Ashton etc...great on field coaches...poor head coaches...

I kind of think it could be Baxter... he's done so much for Exeter but has almost completed everything they set out to do. Can't imagine you couldn't tempt him.

Don't forget malinder is a favourite of the rfu. Not sure where he'd fit in but he's one of their chosen few.

Last edited:
I kind of think it could be Baxter... he's done so much for Exeter but has almost completed everything they set out to do. Can't imagine you couldn't tempt him.
I hope we wouldn't play like Exeter …

We've had periods of horrible rugby under Eddie but also some very nice play.

Can you imagine Baxter's England pack? Lawes and Itoje at 6 and 7?

Yeah, I wouldn't be keen on Baxter
Don't think he'd work in the RFU environment as well - think coaches like him benefit from having extending time with the squad/building the culture etc.

I'd forgotten about Mallinder - just had a google to see if he was still involved with the RFU player development pathway and remembered he's with the SRU now.
I imagine if he was a legit contender he'd have had a coaching role with EJ at some point - everyone else seems to have - though maybe he was offered and said no?

I'd like whoever is our next coach to actually deal with the glaring weaknesses of English rugby that prevent us being more successful rather than same old same old.

- Discipline - Been in the toilet for years and good discipline is the exception rather than the rule. Most games our penalty count is worse than our opposition, even against T2 teams and in nearly always in double figures. It's just not acceptable.
- Lack of adaptability - When things don't go to plan, England have rarely shown an ability to adapt, both in attack and defence. It is so frustrating watching the opposition pulling of identical moves over and over with the same level of success because nobody is willing to adjust the tactics to counter a weakness the opposition have clearly spotted and are targeting. Likewise on the flip side when we keep trying the same thing in attack even when it's clearly not working (in particularly our completely stubborn adherence to a heavy kicking game even if we are very clearly losing the kicking game, such as against Wales last time we played.)

Also a little tidbit. Wales (x2) France and Scotland have all set record highest points scored against England under Jones. We are leaking points like crazy these days.

As a Quins fan, I'm very used to seeing my team leaking lots of points (even when we're successful) but with England it is a lot less palatable.

I think you could definitely argue that the discipline directly drives that - either by giving the opposition the field position to score or directly from kicks to goal.

I hope we wouldn't play like Exeter …

We've had periods of horrible rugby under Eddie but also some very nice play.

Can you imagine Baxter's England pack? Lawes and Itoje at 6 and 7?
True... he's a very different type of coach and maybe not one for us. I'd say if you could lure Robertson away from Crusaders then your in business.

Anyone else seen the note from the RFU about limiting contact training to only 15 minutes per week!

stupid and crazy idea again from an out of touch organisation.

Latest posts