• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

Looks like Ben Young's and Ollie Lawrence have pulled out of the training squad. Add in Alex Mitchell and Ollie Devoto? Ben Spencer?

god forbid Willie Heinz comes in

Last edited:
Looks like Ben Young's and Ollie Lawrence have pulled out of the training squad. Add in Alex Mitchell and Ollie Devoto? Ben Spencer?
He's looking forward to a couple of months in the physio room before he can think about training again

Lawes played well at 6 for the lions, not that I want him there. I want my underhill/ Curry combo again!
I rate Lawes so highly....hes a class act. But is he a 6? Hes a very athletic lock forward...

I shouldnt complain as i know he'll always produce a high level performance...i just wonder if its the same as what you get from say Tom Curry at 6...?

So Lawes misses all the saints games but can stroll back in to play for England? And we pretend to care about the players.

Unless I've misunderstood something.

Yeah pretty much...so expect a full strength team v Tonga as a warm up...

So there's:
  • Mandatory Lions rest
  • Autumn Internationals
  • Mandatory AIs rest
  • Six Nations
  • Mandatory 6N rest

What a joke

#DisbandTheLions

With Ford not in the training camp...i noticed the other day that Jones name dropped the 4 10's he said are very much on his radar

Joe Simmonds - Exeter
Charlie Atkinson - Wasps
Finn Smith - Worcester
Marcus Smith - Quins

Cant argue with that...and at different stages of development.

You'd have to expect Marcus Smith to be starting 10 in the AI's...?

Looks like the England Lions will be back sooner...

The RPA really are a toothless bunch of jokers.

If the RFU and the PRL clubs are capable of assessing each case on its own merits, why was a blanket 10 week stand down in the first place? Equally, if they're able to assess each player's needs individually, why does anyone have player welfare concerns?!?

SHould Farrell still remain captain and 12?
No and no. He's not a great 12, any form he gets at club will be at 10 as well. He's either good enough for 10 starting or 10 benching then we need to actually find proper 12s who actually pose a threat of some kind.

I'm assuming Manu slots back at 12 again, then when he gets injured in the second game we are stuck with Farrell there again.

Then smith performs poorly with Farrell at 12 and we end up back with Farrell at 10.

Or maybe I'm a cynic.

No and no.
Agreed,
I think he probably will though - and honestly if it came down to Farrell at 12 and captaining, or Ludlow at 7 and captaining I'd go for Farrell

My guess is Ludlow captains vs Tonga (Lions lads on mandatory rest) then Farrell back in and captains for the remaining

No and no. He's not a great 12, any form he gets at club will be at 10 as well. He's either good enough for 10 starting or 10 benching then we need to actually find proper 12s who actually pose a threat of some kind.

I'm assuming Manu slots back at 12 again, then when he gets injured in the second game we are stuck with Farrell there again.

Then smith performs poorly with Farrell at 12 and we end up back with Farrell at 10.

Or maybe I'm a cynic.
Totally agree.

However i also think he will still be there

I would even tolerate it, IF Jones picks a playmaking running 10 (Marcus Smith) and also an actual running 13...- Marchant.

Ill feel sorry for Smith if hes picked with a center combo of Farrell and Slade..

I think he probably will though - and honestly if it came down to Farrell at 12 and captaining, or Ludlow at 7 and captaining I'd go for Farrell
My gods! what a horrible choice to have to make. Next you'll be suggesting Ewels for the captaincy!

Can't we play with the idea of Itoje captaining from lock? or George from hooker (even if LCD deserves a starting berth on play alone). I'd rather Captain Curry than Farrell, Ludlow or Ewels!

Can't we play with the idea of Itoje captaining from lock? or George from hooker (even if LCD deserves a starting berth on play alone). I'd rather Captain Curry than Farrell, Ludlow or Ewels!
A real inverse Sophie's choice, isn't it!

Curry should be captain, imo
If not him then Itoje

EJ doesn't seem to have a succession plan for Farrell, though - Ludlow is the only other guy he's named in recent years (think Ford got one game as captain during the RWC? in the 6N when Farrell and Ford were both off the pitch the players weren't aware of who they'd told the 4th official was captain so Curry and Itoje shared the duties, which was...odd)

Surely Ludlow is not a starting Flanker nor never likely to be? So why even bother giving him the captaincy on the few run outs..?

Yes Curry would be a fantastic choice i think. Level headed, key player....world class performer...tough as old boots...

Latest posts