• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

It's hard to talk about post 23 RWC props with players currently at age grade level.
Look at previous years.
Olly Adkins, Joe Heyes, Kai Owen, Marcus Street, Adkins Peach
Ralph Adams-Hale, Ollie Dawe, Ciaran Knight, Alex Seville, Marcus Street
Boyce, Walker, Stuart, West

Eddie on Ollie Lawrence

"He's [Lawrence] still a kid, only 21, but the way that some of the media raves about him you would think he's already assured of becoming one of the best players in the world. He might do that, one day, but his attitude was not hungry or disciplined enough."

Seems to be a big thing and prob the reason why quite a few players don't tend to be involved that much after a few training camps.

West was looking very good prior to his injury and I think he'd almost certainly have been capped by now. He's probably more of a 'classic prop' in the sense that he's a solid scrummager and a fairly good tight carrier. Not too many bells and whistles, but that's fine by me.

I know Brantingham is very highly rated but I can't say I've ever seen him play.

Fin Baxter might be a good long term option. He's a former England captain through the age grades and as he recently switched from tighthead to loosehead, he is being groomed as our successor to Marler.
My type of prop BPM

Phil Brantingham is one to watch for a few years down the line...but hard to tell with the young props. I sang the praises of tight head Scott Wilson up here,...but sadly retired due to injury at 24...so you just never know.

Speaking of Tight heads...Paul Hill at Saints is looking rejuvenated.

Eddie on Ollie Lawrence

"He's [Lawrence] still a kid, only 21, but the way that some of the media raves about him you would think he's already assured of becoming one of the best players in the world. He might do that, one day, but his attitude was not hungry or disciplined enough."

Seems to be a big thing and prob the reason why quite a few players don't tend to be involved that much after a few training camps.
Is that from his book? Or just press interview?

Well i guess thats what they said about Paulo Odogwu whilst at Tigers ...that his attitude and interest in training was atrocious.

He seems to have clicked now at Wasps now though....

So hopefully the same will happen to Lawrence.

Eddie on Ollie Lawrence

Why does Jones feel the need to put that kind of stuff in the public domain? His judgement may be spot on, it may not be but either way it's unnecessary.

And how did he try to manage Lawrence? Did he hold him to the same standards as say Ben Youngs, a 30 something Dad with a shed load of caps who will have long since realised that he's not invincible, as most 21 year olds think they are. Was he given stick when he needed carrot etc?

Why does Jones feel the need to put that kind of stuff in the public domain? His judgement may be spot on, it may not be but either way it's unnecessary.

And how did he try to manage Lawrence? Did he hold him to the same standards as say Ben Youngs, a 30 something Dad with a shed load of caps who will have long since realised that he's not invincible, as most 21 year olds think they are. Was he given stick when he needed carrot etc?
I get the feeling Jones loves to go against whatever pubic opinion is just for the sake of it. He did come across as someone who can't stand the idea of acting on what others have said, he has to be the one to think of everything.

According to some Worcester fans apparently they thought similar to Eddie in regards to open training but I'll take that with a good dose of salt.

TBH I remember a couple seasons ago he was being billed as Manu's replacement all over and really after that season he hasn't been hitting those heights yet, granted worcester have been a mess but it's also harder when people start targeting you.

Like honesty I think he's got it right with Smith so far, despite people wanting him to have been in the squad for around two seasons already.

Does he need to go public with this most likely not, but at the same time he could be hoping for a reaction. It's hard to say if a player needs a stick or a carrot since I have no clue what he is like.

I seem to remember a story that when Eddie Jones met Ben Youngs he told him he was too fat, threw a bag of sweets at him, and told him to go work on his conditioning.

I seem to remember a story that when Eddie Jones met Ben Youngs he told him he was too fat, threw a bag of sweets at him, and told him to go work on his conditioning.
And now Ben Youngs is trimmed down, highly energetic and getting the ball from every ruck in no time at all...

Has Jones kept throwing bags of sweets at him?

Its all about testing players...Jones loves to test them and has his own way of doing it...rightly or wrongly.

He's expecting a reaction from Lawrence. How Lawrence reacts will tell you much about him.

Its all about testing players...Jones loves to test them and has his own way of doing it...rightly or wrongly.

He's expecting a reaction from Lawrence. How Lawrence reacts will tell you much about him.
Indeed. What if it's that he's someone who responds better to someone trying to work with him rather than using the media to bully him? Or is nobody in professional sport wired like that?

Oh come on … it is not bullying in any way, shape or form.

I don't like the criticism of a current player in a book, but at the same time, I find the default assumption that Eddie Jones is always wrong overly simplistic. Why does he never, ever get the benefit of the doubt?

None of us knows Lawrence and it may be that Eddie has tried delivering the message in other ways but it hasn't worked. This could be another attempt to get a player he rated as having high potential to achieve what he's capable of.

Why didn't he come out and say, Farrel trains amazingly but on the pitch he's a bit slow and doesn't really play heads up rugby.

That would be a fairer thing to say.

Hi there, I am in my first year at University and am studying Sports Journalism. A feature I am currently writing is the team I would pick for the first round of the 6 Nations. Below is the team I would pick and I need some comments from other fans as to if they agree and more importantly what changes they would make. Thankyou in advance
1 Genge
2 Blamire
3 Sinckler
4 Itoje
5 Hill
6 Lawes
7 Curry
8 Dombrandt
9 Youngs
10 Smith
11 May
12 Slade
13 Tuilagi
14 Radwan
15 Steward
16 George
17 Marler
18 Hill
19 Ewels
20 Ludlam
21 Mitchell
22 Farrell
23 Malins

Hi there, I am in my first year at University and am studying Sports Journalism. A feature I am currently writing is the team I would pick for the first round of the 6 Nations. Below is the team I would pick and I need some comments from other fans as to if they agree and more importantly what changes they would make. Thankyou in advance
1 Genge
2 Blamire
3 Sinckler
4 Itoje
5 Hill
6 Lawes
7 Curry
8 Dombrandt
9 Youngs
10 Smith
11 May
12 Slade
13 Tuilagi
14 Radwan
15 Steward
16 George
17 Marler
18 Hill
19 Ewels
20 Ludlam
21 Mitchell
22 Farrell
23 Malins
Just a couple of observations. I've said for a while I wouldn't have Tuilagi near the squad until he proves his fitness for an extended period. I'd have one of either May or Radwan, personally Radwan, and put Malins on the wing. With the 50/22 rule you want players who are strong in the air. I wouldn't have Ewels anywhere near the squad, but I don't have an obvious solution with who to replace with. Maybe Isiekwe.

Latest posts