• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

Cokanasiga is injured and wasn't playing well even when he was fit.

Marchant is absolutely in the mix for a spot on the wing.

Agreed, ticks EJ's versatility box as well
ETA AND he's played in the SH. It's amazing he isn't sitting on 25 caps already

I know others don't want Binny back in but from the 4 or 5 games of Sarries I've seen he's been very good. If he can carry that form in to England I wouldn't be against it if it moves Curry to 7. It's a choice out of Lawes, Underhill, Curry or Lawes, Curry and Binny. I'd prefer option 2. I would like everyone here would rather Dombrant but he just isn't gonna get a start, sadly.

I know others don't want Binny back in but from the 4 or 5 games of Sarries I've seen he's been very good. If he can carry that form in to England I wouldn't be against it if it moves Curry to 7. It's a choice out of Lawes, Underhill, Curry or Lawes, Curry and Binny. I'd prefer option 2. I would like everyone here would rather Dombrant but he just isn't gonna get a start, sadly.
Binny had his place but I just think rugby had moved on and he hasn't. We need a smart 8 to unlock defences and play at tempo and that isn't Billy.

If we were to change our tactics (which I hope we don't) then Binny may work but it's been a long time since we've seen him dummy before contact or use his feet rather than just plough into contact and create slow ball without any gain at all.

I still think arrogant Jones may keep curry at 8 because Jones thinks he knows best and the public love Dombrant.

If Binny is back on form I wouldn't mind him getting 1-2 games just to see where he is on an international level. He's playing well at club, but we would always say that about Nathan Hughes as well

If Binny's back to his best then he's a great asset to the team, if he's not then it's worth knowing that going forwards

The main problem with Binny (and others) was that he was given a sinecure and kept his place when he clearly wasn't worth it. That breeds complacency and Binny's always been pretty open that he needs to be kept on his toes, he's not got anything like Farrell's natural drive and rage.

The kick up the arse he's had was way overdue and that's poor management from Jones. BUT he seems to have responded well and 20 stone of snorting, motivated Binny can still have a role to play, maybe off the bench. The game evolves, but there's always space for someone who can get their team on the front foot.

I like smart and want Dombrandt to start. He's gone OK in the limited chances he's been given but the shirt is far from guaranteed to be his yet. Plenty of twists to come in that battle I think.

Also, what constitutes a good 6N? Got to be better than 5th but the Autumn suggests that it could be a really competitive championship. Sco and Fra away are real banana skins, while Ire were looking good. On our day we could probably beat anyone but I could also see us winning as few as 2. Jones will see us through to the RWC, there's little doubt about that, but where does it leave us if we follow that 5th with a bit of a meh 3rd or 4th?

Any loss at home or vs Scotland would be a disappointment, I think England will start as favourites for every game except the one in Paris

So 2nd with 4/5 wins would be a good six nations, and we used to do that every year before Jones so I don't think it's too much to ask

True, although I think France have improved massively Ireland and Scotland have got quite a bit better recently.

We're certainly capable of winning any or all of the games, but where other teams have become more consistent, our performance level has become less predictable. We can be very good but often aren't.

I definitely don't see a grand slam coming, but if we beat the home nations and Italy and then lose to France, I'd probably be happy.

Any loss at home or vs Scotland would be a disappointment, I think England will start as favourites for every game except the one in Paris

So 2nd with 4/5 wins would be a good six nations, and we used to do that every year before Jones so I don't think it's too much to ask
You mean the team we've only managed to beat once in the last 4 attempts and that in the lottery of totally filthy weather?

You mean the team we've only managed to beat once in the last 4 attempts and that in the lottery of totally filthy weather?
Yeah. Scotland are ranked 7th in the world, and England will be favourites with the bookies going into that game. Losing to them again would be disappointing, not a disaster.

Yeah. Scotland are ranked 7th in the world, and England will be favourites with the bookies going into that game. Losing to them again would be disappointing, not a disaster.
Yup, a disaster is losing to Wales.

For the neutral this could be an excellent championship and very hard to call.

But then Wales inexplicably won it last time round despite being rubbish.

They've got quite a few big players out this time like AWJ and Owens and I think they will really struggle if they don't have crowds in Cardiff.

EDIT: looks like they will do now

But then Wales inexplicably won it last time round despite being rubbish.

They've got quite a few big players out this time like AWJ and Owens and I think they will really struggle if they don't have crowds in Cardiff.

EDIT: looks like they will do now
Wales just need to whip out the red card magnets and they will be fine.

Eddie just wants playmakers / ball players all over the backline....

He'll have...
9 Youngs
10 Smith
13 Slade
14 Malins / Marchant

And at some stage Dombrandt at 8 to add another....

Despite a patchy overall performance, the Quins scrum went well again last night.

It's become such a reliable platform for us when Marler and Collier (or Louw) is present.

In fact, my worry about our scrum right now is that our entire front row have put themselves in a great position to make the 6N squad. On form, it wouldn't be overly fanciful to have Marler and Collier starting and Walker should definitely be a contender to back up LCD and George.

As much as I'd be delighted for them, losing a whole unit - particularly one that is functioning so well right now - would be a big blow for us.

From an England POV though, it would be interesting on a couple of different levels. Picking Marler and Collier together could give us a more solid platform and/or maybe gives us the extra power to compensate for a lighter second row if we wanted to move Lawes back in to the row with Itoje.

As a Quins fan, I undoubtedly have some bias, but as an England fan, I want to see a better scrum. I think that's an objective fact that the Quins scrum has been very good this season which is backed up by the scrum stats.

I'm assuming there's no debate on Marler?

Sinckler and Stuart are better players than Collier, particularly when it comes to their contributions in the loose. However, I don't think it's a stretch to say Collier is a significantly better scrummaging prop and is currently in excellent form which can't really be said for Sinckler or Stuart. If Eddie wants a nuts and bolts tighthead, Collier is currently putting his hand up for selection.

As for Walker, I'd argue the 3rd hooking berth is very much up for grabs. Blamire has barely played since the AIs, Dolly is playing a bit part role behind Montoya and Langdon is nowhere to be seen ATM (I assume he's injured). Singleton is starting every week for Gloucester but is a bit hit and miss. Walker is playing well every week and, importantly, our lineout is getting better (100% last night). He's not a shoo-in by any means, but he should certainly be in the conversation.

as an England fan, I want to see a better scrum.
Me too.
If Eddie wants a nuts and bolts tighthead
That's a big if. But you'd hope he'd have learned some lessons by now.

It's a sad day if a wider squad doesn't have space for its best scrummaging TH whether you think that's Collier or Cole. And Sicks / Stuart need to feel pressure for their places.

Latest posts