• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

He's South African/qualified on residency is the only thing, but that's never really stopped EJ capping players in the past (i.e. Heinz)

On those grounds I'm not really that fussed - he was already a fully fledged pro player when he moved to England/for several years before he was even qualified to play for England
He's significantly better than Ewels IMO, but hey ho.

Also Ribbans is not qualified on residency and hadn't been a 'fully fledged pro' for 'several years'. He was already EQ when he joined Saints (grandparent I assume?) and arrived when he was 21. He had about a season and a half of pro experience at best.

I'd prefer Isiekwe anyway.

Also Ribbans is not qualified on residency and hadn't been a 'fully fledged pro' for 'several years'. He was already EQ when he joined Saints (grandparent I assume?) and arrived when he was 21. He had about a season and a half of pro experience at best.
Planet Rugby says he qualified on residence,
Plus he had three seasons in the Curry Cup as a pro player - couple were in the u21 but that's still pro rugby

Doesn't matter either way as he's not there, and must be pretty down the pecking order

So does anyone else think that somehow, Faz has just managed to totally shaft his childhood mate in order to prolong his own international career ?

So does anyone else think that somehow, Faz has just managed to totally shaft his childhood mate in order to prolong his own international career ?
No, I really don't.

I think it's bad judgement / selection on Jones part and no more. Whatever you think of Jones I don't see him as anything other than his own man when it comes to making decisions.

Plus he had three seasons in the Curry Cup as a pro player - couple were in the u21 but that's still pro rugby

Doesn't matter either way as he's not there, and must be pretty down the pecking order
Never really been blown away by Ribbans TBH. If he had been in the mix he chose a bad weekend for his hands to let him down a couple of times.

Yeah, Ribbans is fine but I haven't seen anything to suggest he'd really be any better than Hill or Ewels at international level, and he's not especially young either.

To be honest before today I hadn't really considered Chessum but he is an exciting prospect. I can definitely see him picking up some minutes this tournament, even if just against Italy.

Yeah, Ribbans is fine but I haven't seen anything to suggest he'd really be any better than Hill or Ewels at international level, and he's not especially young either.

To be honest before today I hadn't really considered Chessum but he is an exciting prospect. I can definitely see him picking up some minutes this tournament, even if just against Italy.
I dunno, based on Ewels performances it doesn't take much to be better at international level.

I'm aware of that, but still stand by saying that I don't really think Ribbans would be any better.
Ewels isn't even good at club level. Genuinely one of the most baffling continued selections England has. How he captains Bath and keeps getting selected for England I don't know, thoroughly undeserving on both fronts.

Ribbons is a class act and really solid, you can't really say that about Ewels ever and Hill has constant brain farts at international level (although hoping that's a thing of the past now).

Ribbons definitely better than Ewels and probably Hill but that's opinion more than fact.

Definitely a grandparent, but whatever. As you say, not really that relevant considering Ewels is somehow considered a keeper.

Let hope Hill realised what was required of him during the AIs ...and really stands out in the 6n.

Ollie Chessum is a great selection. I thought it would be too early for him...but glad he's been picked. He looks horrible to play against.. tall, aggressive and mobile. He's 6'7 and 18 stone 8 but is still very lean so should put some weight on...
Eddies named as made for the Lawes role...but I see him more of a lock...

Could him and George Martin be a future Tigers and England lock combo?

A close friend of mine last night tried to convince me that Eddie Jones was seriously looking at Dombrandt as cover for 12

It does seem like the sort of completely left field idea Jones could come up with

In the ludicrous world of moving back rows to center.....surely Ben Earl or SImmonds would be a better fit at 12?

Could him and George Martin be a future Tigers and England lock combo?
When thinking about Martin the words Ted and Hill were starting to spring to mind. Hope I'm wrong on that and in any event there'll be the fresh eyes of a new coaching team post World Cup.

Jones obviously wanted to break up the Saracens influence in the squad. Mainly the older hands, but has that contributed to Isiekwe's (and Lozowski) continued omission? That great hybrid wing cover Earl is also now nowhere to be seen, but I think that's genuinely on merit.

George Martin looks too slight* to be an international 2nd row tbh, he might bulk up significantly but then it'd take away from his athleticism

*dunno what his actual height/weight stats are, just going of visually

George Martin looks too slight* to be an international 2nd row tbh, he might bulk up significantly but then it'd take away from his athleticism

*dunno what his actual height/weight stats are, just going of visually

Tigers site lists him at 1.98m and 118kg which seems pretty normal for a 4, if 4-5kg short of your ideal big 5. Still heavier than Hill though

Latest posts