• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England fans: who are you backing now?

England fans: who are you backing now?

• Total voters
Everyone hates the favourites, it's a proud badge to wear. The fall hurts more than anyone else though.

They should just click the "view results" button at the bottom...

Ahah, I missed that. I also can't see where users have posted? Maybe a browser problem? I assume NZ's are the only ones who voted for themselves.

In the final I'm going to cheer on the ABs, Good team I like them. and the Aussies are far too cocky and let a win get their head, plus hate the English judging by what I've read the last couple days. I also like South Afrcia but can't see them beating NZ

In the final I'm going to cheer on the ABs, Good team I like them. and the Aussies are far too cocky and let a win get their head, plus hate the English judging by what I've read the last couple days. I also like South Afrcia but can't see them beating NZ

I think you might be in for a shock if you think the Kiwis have any more love for England than we do... They hate us to bits, and yet most kiwis in the press and around here seemed to be supporting the Wallabies against England!

Also, "judging by what [you've] read over the past couple days" you sense that Aussie fans enjoy a win over England?

Just curious, but is this the first time you've ever watched an England v Australia sporting contest? About the only sport we DON'T take an inordinate amount of pleasure in beating England is Rugby League, and that's because we've just won too many.

I think you might be in for a shock if you think the Kiwis have any more love for England than we do... They hate us to bits, and yet most kiwis in the press and around here seemed to be supporting the Wallabies against England!

Also, "judging by what [you've] read over the past couple days" you sense that Aussie fans enjoy a win over England?

Just curious, but is this the first time you've ever watched an England v Australia sporting contest? About the only sport we DON'T take an inordinate amount of pleasure in beating England is Rugby League, and that's because we've just won too many.

The whole world was hoping England lost on the weekend, surprisingly even kiwis who usually despise us. We were just hoping that the Wallabies won as everyone was telling us about how we were going to be the ones knocked out of the pool of death. To call us cocky is a bit game, we are constantly being told our scrum is weak, our lineout is a failure and our backs couldn't string more than a few phases together, instead we comprehensively outplay the hosts in their own backyard.

I don't forget Rob Andrew in 1995, Wilkinson in 2003 and beating us in 2007 by 1 or 2 points after Mortlock missed that penalty, England have been reminding us about this for a long time, good to get one back.

not to mention the English constantly calling us 'convicts'. There is zero 'convict' in my ancestry as with a lot of other Australians, we are a multicultural country, no longer derived from English blood so give it a rest.

Last edited:

Think he was talking about David Campese's comments eh.

I don't think despise and hate are the right words. We don't hate anybody. It's just kind of halirious England are going to lose so much money and couldn't even make the QFs. But we don't hate them. In fact, yesterday our news source posted something about it and the two top comments were about how we should let it go and it could easily be us. I was going to post it in the Anglo-Hate thread until I remembered it was locked.

The whole world was hoping England lost on the weekend, surprisingly even kiwis who usually despise us. We were just hoping that the Wallabies won as everyone was telling us about how we were going to be the ones knocked out of the pool of death. To call us cocky is a bit game, we are constantly being told our scrum is weak, our lineout is a failure and our backs couldn't string more than a few phases together, instead we comprehensively outplay the hosts in their own backyard.

I don't forget Rob Andrew in 1995, Wilkinson in 2003 and beating us in 2007 by 1 or 2 points after Mortlock missed that penalty, England have been reminding us about this for a long time, good to get one back.

That's all fine but im yet to see many Australians on here admit how poor England was in that game! They hardly threw a punch at you guys!!

If you lot think your going to have scrum dominance or lineout dominance for the rest of the tournament I think you might be in for a shock!

All you've done in that England game is put the rest of the big teams on notice and we ALL know what to look out for now! The AB's will now know Syndey was not a fluke!

Why are non-English voting in this? I'd actually quite like to see who the English are rooting for. I guess some people can't help themselves....

They all don't want us to win, but they want us to coach them!! Haha.

That's all fine but im yet to see many Australians on here admit how poor England was in that game! They hardly threw a punch at you guys!!

If you lot think your going to have scrum dominance or lineout dominance for the rest of the tournament I think you might be in for a shock!

All you've done in that England game is put the rest of the big teams on notice and we ALL know what to look out for now! The AB's will now know Syndey was not a fluke!

I don't see that as a problem because if you're going to win the World Cup, you are going to have to play well enough to put the other big teams on notice. If the Wallabies win the World Cup, they'll have to play well enough to deserve it, no easy rides :)

I don't see that as a problem because if you're going to win the World Cup, you are going to have to play well enough to put the other big teams on notice. If the Wallabies win the World Cup, they'll have to play well enough to deserve it, no easy rides :)

Thats the mistake NZ made in 2007. Creamed the pool games then lost in the quarters....

Can't really back anyone else, not even for banter. I only have one tribe.

I hope the Ulstermen do well (shame EnZed dropped their incipient Ulster player), but... eh. I'll just be watching for the rugby and taking pleasure from the display.

Suppose I should be saying ABW or ABA, but... once you talk to fellows and have a laugh with them, there's someone from every nation I'd be happy for.

Jeez mate, forgive us for enjoying a victory against a fairly fancied English side that happened to be both our biggest ever score on them at home AND managed to knock them out of their own tournament before the pool stage was over.

Seriously, it was a fairly big f##king deal for a Wallabies side that only a couple months ago was flogged in NZ.

I think most of us perfectly appreciate that the games will all be different from here out though, and that unless we start to do this week to week we're not really that deserving of any decent odds.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats the mistake NZ made in 2007. Creamed the pool games then lost in the quarters....

No, the mistake NZ made in 2007 was subbing Carter with way too much time left on the clock and an assailable lead.

Jeez mate, forgive us for enjoying a victory against a fairly fancied English side that happened to be both our biggest ever score on them at home AND managed to knock them out of their own tournament before the pool stage was over.

Seriously, it was a fairly big f##king deal for a Wallabies side that only a couple months ago was flogged in NZ.

I think most of us perfectly appreciate that the games will all be different from here out though, and that unless we start to do this week to week we're not really that deserving of any decent odds.

- - - Updated - - -

How much attention has it got in Aus? I always get the impression that Australian Union needs a bit of a big bang to get its profile back up again, a strong match for the Wallabies might do the trick. Should certainly make advertising the summer series easy!

How much attention has it got in Aus? I always get the impression that Australian Union needs a bit of a big bang to get its profile back up again, a strong match for the Wallabies might do the trick. Should certainly make advertising the summer series easy!

To be honest mate the timing of this game was really unfortunate... It was sandwiched in between both the AFL and NRL Grand Finals, meaning it failed to make the front or back page of any newspaper in the country.

It wasn't helped by the fact that the NRL Grand Final was one of the all time most epic and nail biting games the competition has seen though.

For a bit of perspective on the national coverage of it, the ABC have a weekly sports round up program every Sunday morning called "offsiders" that goes for about 30 minutes. They spoke about the match for all of 3 minutes in between about 13 minutes each for the AFL and NRL (and the NRL hadn't even started) AND they didn't even get a union journo on the show - just directed their questions the the herald's League veteran.

That about sums up Rugby's place in our national psyche right now though sadly.

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

No, the mistake NZ made in 2007 was subbing Carter with way too much time left on the clock and an assailable lead.

Jeez sensitive much just giving you guys some grounding on your great victory... I just dont think it was that amazing against that England side. Iv said time and time again they were rubbish! How do you think you posted a record score on them at home!

Carter wouldnt of saved us from Barnes!

Last edited:
Went with NZ. The best team should win and that is the ABS. Will be supporting Japan though, it would be amazing to see them make it out the group.

Jeez sensitive much just giving you guys some grounding on your great victory... I just dont think it was that amazing against that England side. Iv said time and time again they were rubbish! How do you think you posted a record score on them at home!

Carter wouldnt of saved us from Barnes!

lol wasn't really being "sensitive" - more just a little bemused. You've got to remember we're not the All Blacks - you lot (rightly) just expect to win and so focus pretty critically on how you win. Generally speaking these days us Wallabies fans are just happy "to win," and so to do what we did blew away a lot of us.

You might not have been expecting England to beat us, but most Aussies were more than a little worried they would given how up and down we generally are.