• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England fans: who are you backing now?

England fans: who are you backing now?

• Total voters
Did England get out of their pool in the 2014 Soccer World Cup, 2015 Rugby World Cup or 2015 Cricket World Cup??

rubbing-salt-into-the-wound-the-best-of-the-england-rwc-exit-me.hashed.4bb07c21.desktop.story.wide.jpg

But.. We did win the 2015 darts World Cup :cool:

And anyway South africa lost to Japan and made a balls of getting out of the easiest group of the tournament. And didn't they also get knocked out in the pool of their own soccer World Cup acouple years back..?

But.. We did win the 2015 darts World Cup :cool:

And anyway South africa lost to Japan and made a balls of getting out of the easiest group of the tournament. And didn't they also get knocked out in the pool of their own soccer World Cup acouple years back..?

They did, but to be fair to South Africa they're not exactly known as a major force in soccer... they aren't, for instance, home to the biggest soccer club comp in the world like another country who recently didn't make it out of the soccer world cup pool :cool:

Nope, 25% Normand, 25% Ardenne, 25% Savoie and 25% Périgord.
That make me a soup of Danish, Gallic and Frank. ;)
Sorry to be off topic btw.

Roughly the same sort of mix as the average Englishman in other words :p I've got Huguenot ancestors, does that mean I can support France? Or maybe I should be supporting South Africa...

Maybe I'll just support France to be a free wheeling radical who's not chained by the past. Yeah!

Maybe I'll stop spouting nonsense...

Did England get out of their pool in the 2014 Soccer World Cup, 2015 Rugby World Cup or 2015 Cricket World Cup??

rubbing-salt-into-the-wound-the-best-of-the-england-rwc-exit-me.hashed.4bb07c21.desktop.story.wide.jpg

Yeah rightio. Mr "the idea of Japan beating us is insulting"

England didn't get out of the pool, but South Africa are still firmly planted in cow dung.

Be that as it may, the staffers are going to top their group and most likely put an injured Wales team to the sword whereas England are sitting at home wondering why Robshaw didn't take 'that' kick.
The staffers can still win the Cup and the Japan memory will fade in the golden glow of that event.
England are currently second to a teabag, which stays in the Cup longer.

They aren't "Celts". That's just an invention of 18th century Scottish, Welsh and Irish nationalists who wanted to try and make it look as though they are different from the English. The Scottish, Welsh and Irish are no more "Celtic" than the English are.

Not sure how you arrived at that, but in the words of Foghorn Leghorn, "You're way, I say, you're way off, boy." I'd need to know how you define 'Celtic', but in that I can assist. Celts are basically those who speak Celtic languages. These would be both Irish and Scots Gaelic, Welsh, Breton, Cornish and Manx. The Picts and Gaels would be two groups. They formed the Kingdon of Scotland in the 9th century. Of course, as history proceeded, other peoples began to inhabit the Britsih Isles and elsewhere, but to simply dismiss Britsih, Irish or Welsh Celts as nationalists is simplistic and, frankly, facile. I have many friends who use Celtic languages regularly, and a handful of them may want independence for thei nations, but again, and this probably says more about you than it does them, they never use words like 'nationalist'. That's usually the preserve of those who oppose self-determination for certain peoples. The UK is not, whether those like you want it to be or not, a homogeneous mass of people sharing a culture. I am a Scot by birth and British by default. It wasn't a choice I was given. I am not English any more than you are Scottish. I'm also not Welsh, or Irish, or Cornish, or Breton, or even Manx. I don't think I can even describe myself in the truest sense as a Celt, but I certainly spring from Celtic culture. The nation to which I belong was in fact, from its inception as a nation, truly Celtic. That has changed, but you cannot deny me that with your parade of sheer ignorance.

Yeah rightio. Mr "the idea of Japan beating us is insulting"

England didn't get out of the pool, but South Africa are still firmly planted in cow dung.

And out of that cow dung a beautiful flower emerged as it was used as fertilizer to fuel the growth of the firmly planted protea.

Be that as it may, the staffers are going to top their group and most likely put an injured Wales team to the sword whereas England are sitting at home wondering why Robshaw didn't take 'that' kick.
The staffers can still win the Cup and the Japan memory will fade in the golden glow of that event.

What are the chances of that though? 8 to 1? That means there is roughly a 90% chance this SA team will be remembered as the team that lost to Japan - not great odds is it :)

So for the moment lets assum SA dont win the RWC - who leaves this tournament more embarrassed, the English or the South Africans? It's a tough one aye!!

What are the chances of that though? 8 to 1? That means there is roughly a 90% chance this SA team will be remembered as the team that lost to Japan - not great odds is it :)

So for the moment lets assum SA dont win the RWC - who leaves this tournament more embarrassed, the English or the South Africans? It's a tough one aye!!

Not really. The Saffas may say different, but I don't think they're anywhere near.

New Zealand are clear winners.

Lol at who is more embassies England or SA.

England getting knocked out as hosts in the pool stage.

Or

South Africa losing to a Japanese side who clearly are a lot better than there original ranking suggested, and have played great rugby (outside a tired Scotland 2nd half).

That is just a BEAUTIFUL piece of writing!!!

Anyone playing the All Blacks, because they are talented arrogant pricks, which is much worse in my book than being talentless arrogant pricks like England.

- - - Updated - - -

Before someone objects, I refer you to Hansen´s comments about the crowd booing Richie McCaw for cynically and dangerously tripping an Argentinian player

Haha, this NZ England comparison cracked me up. Nice one.

But saying Mcaw's tackle was dangerous is ludicrous; you should have stopped at "cynical", instead of revealing a chip on your shoulder, hence losing most of your credibility. In fact, you should have stopped before trying to justify yourself, because your (mis)perceived arrogance of one person involved with a team does not an arrogant team make. All Hansen was doing was deflecting, for political (right word?) reasons.

If South Africa win the World Cup, it would be the most glorious result in the history of sport.

Firstly, a terrible build-up to the World Cup.
First ever and shock loss to Argentina, and on home soil.
Extremely questionable selections of the 31 for the RWC, including some political choices.
Shock loss to Japan, which some people say is the most shocking result in the history of sport.
First ever team to win the Cup, after losing a pool match.

Wow, it would be a magnificent achievement.

Not sure how you arrived at that, but in the words of Foghorn Leghorn, "You're way, I say, you're way off, boy." I'd need to know how you define 'Celtic', but in that I can assist. Celts are basically those who speak Celtic languages. These would be both Irish and Scots Gaelic, Welsh, Breton, Cornish and Manx. The Picts and Gaels would be two groups. They formed the Kingdon of Scotland in the 9th century. Of course, as history proceeded, other peoples began to inhabit the Britsih Isles and elsewhere, but to simply dismiss Britsih, Irish or Welsh Celts as nationalists is simplistic and, frankly, facile. I have many friends who use Celtic languages regularly, and a handful of them may want independence for thei nations, but again, and this probably says more about you than it does them, they never use words like 'nationalist'. That's usually the preserve of those who oppose self-determination for certain peoples. The UK is not, whether those like you want it to be or not, a homogeneous mass of people sharing a culture. I am a Scot by birth and British by default. It wasn't a choice I was given. I am not English any more than you are Scottish. I'm also not Welsh, or Irish, or Cornish, or Breton, or even Manx. I don't think I can even describe myself in the truest sense as a Celt, but I certainly spring from Celtic culture. The nation to which I belong was in fact, from its inception as a nation, truly Celtic. That has changed, but you cannot deny me that with your parade of sheer ignorance.

Like England and France, Scotland is a huge soup of everything, Norwegians, and French are 2 of the main components of today Scots.
Many clans find their roots in France. Even in my family the name "De Bailleul" became Balliol in Scotland and they gave you one king and a half.. What was true before all the invasions of the islands above, by the French, Danish and Norwegians was so much less true after.
Now i won't blame you for trying your best to not be merged with the evil Saxons but in southern France, a Scot and an Englishman lookalike.. BRIGHT RED! ;)

edit : i am a silly troll, i am off topic again and again sorry for that, can a moderator ban me from this thread?

Last edited:
Maybe change your thread to " If your team was out , who would you be supporting"? . anyway my vote goes to France , I love the way they play the game and a have a great passion for the sport and I backed the winner in the arc de triomphe on Sunday ;) , my second vote to Australia , I can't thank them enough for smashing that chariot to bits and giving us a qf place ...diolch !!

Latest posts