• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England fans: who are you backing now?

England fans: who are you backing now?

• Total voters
Geez people are being a bit precious about who voted! Quit havin a whinge, just look at which English posters voted for what country. Stop being lazy!

lol wasn't really being "sensitive" - more just a little bemused. You've got to remember we're not the All Blacks - you lot (rightly) just expect to win and so focus pretty critically on how you win. Generally speaking these days us Wallabies fans are just happy "to win," and so to do what we did blew away a lot of us.

You might not have been expecting England to beat us, but most Aussies were more than a little worried they would given how up and down we generally are.

I dont expect the AB's to win the tournament I think we should given our record but I certainly dont expect it.

Theres no argument from me that it blew alot of us away I still cant believe your scrum was that dominant. That was the only real surprise to me though.

Question: Did this early exit by England pave the way for Wayne Barnes to officiate the final??
I suggested this before the tournament... it's likely the referee board rate Barnes even if some people don't. Politically it makes sense as well to have some representation of England in the final.

The problem will be the fans/media some even if Barnes is perfect and they loose will kick up a stink for the next 4 years.

Ahah, I missed that. I also can't see where users have posted? Maybe a browser problem? I assume NZ's are the only ones who voted for themselves.

I actually reckon the button wasn't there before. i searched and searched and didn't see it. How could you miss it if you voted, given it is right next to the vote button? unlikely I say.

To be honest mate the timing of this game was really unfortunate... It was sandwiched in between both the AFL and NRL Grand Finals, meaning it failed to make the front or back page of any newspaper in the country.

It wasn't helped by the fact that the NRL Grand Final was one of the all time most epic and nail biting games the competition has seen though.

For a bit of perspective on the national coverage of it, the ABC have a weekly sports round up program every Sunday morning called "offsiders" that goes for about 30 minutes. They spoke about the match for all of 3 minutes in between about 13 minutes each for the AFL and NRL (and the NRL hadn't even started) AND they didn't even get a union journo on the show - just directed their questions the the herald's League veteran.

That about sums up Rugby's place in our national psyche right now though sadly.
It's a bit more complicated than this. Yes the NRL and AFL Grand Finals were some very shiny objects but the other major factor is that much of the Australian press chose not to cover this Rugby World Cup in protest at the "draconian" media accreditation agreement. News Corp, FairfaxMedia and the Austraian Press Association are all, effectively, not covering the tournament and this has the knock on effect of diminished coverage in the other major Australian media outlets.

A lot of the New Zealand and British press also baulked at the agreement but were not in any position to not sign. Will be some interesting fallout from this after the Cup.

I think you might be in for a shock if you think the Kiwis have any more love for England than we do... They hate us to bits, and yet most kiwis in the press and around here seemed to be supporting the Wallabies against England!

Also, "judging by what [you've] read over the past couple days" you sense that Aussie fans enjoy a win over England?

Just curious, but is this the first time you've ever watched an England v Australia sporting contest? About the only sport we DON'T take an inordinate amount of pleasure in beating England is Rugby League, and that's because we've just won too many.

To be fair I know we beat you at cricket and football pretty easy so it was about time you lot managed to get a win over us in the RWC

To be fair I know we beat you at cricket and football pretty easy so it was about time you lot managed to get a win over us in the RWC

Actually I think you'll find that the last time we played you in soccer (a game not exactly in danger of approaching the status it has in England over here) we beat you 3-1 [emoji12].

As for the cricket, well I wouldn't describe your home win as "easy" given you still lost the ODI component and the series was 3-2 following a fairly recent 5-0 thumping over here in both forms of the game over here ;-) .

Our Cricket side also managed to handle the pressure of hosting a World Cup just a tad better this year

Anyone playing the All Blacks, because they are talented arrogant pricks, which is much worse in my book than being talentless arrogant pricks like England.

- - - Updated - - -

Before someone objects, I refer you to Hansen´s comments about the crowd booing Richie McCaw for cynically and dangerously tripping an Argentinian player

Did England get out of their pool in the 2014 Soccer World Cup, 2015 Rugby World Cup or 2015 Cricket World Cup??

rubbing-salt-into-the-wound-the-best-of-the-england-rwc-exit-me.hashed.4bb07c21.desktop.story.wide.jpg

4 are supporting France?
Stick with the traditions, we can't be supported by Saxons, Jutes or Angles !
No thanks. :p
Support by Scottish, Welsh and Irish is always welcome.
Go Celts! :cool:

Are you a Breton ?
One of the things I love about France (and Spain) is the regional passion especially love the Catalans, Basques and Bretons.

- - - Updated - - -

They aren't "Celts". That's just an invention of 18th century Scottish, Welsh and Irish nationalists who wanted to try and make it look as though they are different from the English. The Scottish, Welsh and Irish are no more "Celtic" than the English are.

Stupid comment, we are different as are you, check your history. On another post you got your facts wrong accusing Wales of an unfair advantage by playing a couple of games at home (I have answered that with some information for you)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm Argentinian now. Easy decision, have considered them my second team ever since they entered the RC for a couple of reasons:

1) Pure admiration for what they have achieved in rugby despite historic disadvantages (no professional league; and far fewer top tier matches) - 2007 specifically but their place at the top(ish) table in general
2) I can't bring myself to support the Aussies, the All Blacks or the Saffas so a competition featuring only those three killed me. Glad to have a team in the SH I can actually support with a clean conscience!
3) Have a thing for Hispanic / Latin culture, learnt Spanish at school and it's a beautiful language attached to some lovely cultures. And spoken by some absolutely stunning, sexy women ... you haven't truly had sex until you've had sex in Spanish. Fact

Good and well reasoned choice especially points 1 and 3.

Question: Did this early exit by England pave the way for Wayne Barnes to officiate the final??

Provided Wales aren't in the final, the best referee should officiate. That man is Nigel Owens.

Lacey is favorite for Final if Ireland don't make it.

Really!! Probably not going to watch it anyway as clashes with Strictly (takes tongue out of cheek) but another solid reason not to!!!!

I think the ***le thread is very clear, "England fans" who are you backing now?
Pretty funny to see kiwis voting for New Zealand, french voting for France, etc...

I think the ***le thread is very clear, "England fans" who are you backing now?
Pretty funny to see kiwis voting for New Zealand, french voting for France, etc...

Including a mod..

Anyway for me..

I'd support whoever can resist the temptation to rub it in our faces when they win....so that makes noone!
I'll support Japan every step of the way, which won't be far at all.
I have a soft spot for France because of Family cand friends being French and I think rugby needs a strong france again...
Australia have played some great rugby so can definitely get behind them..
I like South Africa more and more these days too...
and on merit New Zealand will probably deserve it..

So any of those 4 really would be fine, but frist of all I'll get behind the french.

Ireland for me, partly because I have them in a sweepstake, to see a new winner, partly a bit of NH solidarity. Nothing against the French, but I'm just a little bit more convinced by Ireland.

Having beaten a close to full strength Ireland in the warm-up games (yes I know it was a warm up, but both sides were close to full strength), an Irish win would be tinged with irony though!