England v New Zealand

rose-logo.jpg
V
all_blacks_150.jpg

November 6th @ 14:30 GMT, Twickenham

Meh about the date ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect this match will be similar to last years:
New Zealand win, but not by a ridiculous amount.
While England are getting better, and employing a better gameplay, our backrow lets us down, specifically 7 and 8. We're not going to see a lot of ball with McCaw robbing everything from under Moody/Haskell/whoever is playing opensides nose.
Will be interesting to see how the scrum goes though - no doubt that NZ have a quality scrum, but Dan Coles' one of the most promising props out there atm. Hopefully they'll partner him with a loosehead that can scrum, and we'll see how the England forwards fair against a more seasoned pack that Australias
Obiously no flyhalf we field will be on DCs level, but it'll be interesting to see how they go with it: Youngs/Flood play side by side week in week out (well, when Floods not injured) so they're an obvious choice, but Wilkinson is on fire at Toulon atm. He probably won't bring any of the form back across the channel with him, but I'm more confident about him being in the squad than I have been in a long while
Wings will be another odd choice:
I think Ashton is a dead cert (if he's not out injured) - the other spot is up for grabs.
You've got Cueto - Old head, brings experience to a young backline, very smart, lacking in speed though, good under high ball good defence
Strettle: Quick, can't tackle for toffee
Banahan: Not particularly fast, but is the best chance at stopping a rampaging Hosea Gear etc.

No matter which way this match goes, i really can't wait. Playing the All Blacks is any teams top challenge, and it's probably my favorite test to watch :D

Last edited:
This will be a great game,
Providing we beat Australia in Hong Kong this will be our opportunity to carry on our undefeated streak to 17 consecutive test match wins.

My hopes for this match is that a well conditioned Sonny Bill Williams gets a role in this game and I hope he does well to dominate the English. The wingers I would want on the day are Corey Jane although with injury being a concern I'd field Israel Dagg in his place and have either Ranger or Rokocoko on for each half. Conrad Smith at centre with Sonny Bill at second five, Second half bring on Fruean.
In the forwards I hope Woodcock and Owen Franks get the start with either Mealamu or Hore at hooker. Kaino at 6, McCaw at 7 and Read at 8. At lock the only one I'd really need to be there is Brad Thorn and either Whitleock or Donnelly can fit in next to him. Weepu and Carter to direct the team around the park and Muliaina to provide some deadly attack and good cover defence.

I hope Toeava goes on tour.
Apparently he is playing better than ever

We're not going to see a lot of ball with McCaw robbing everything from under Moody/Haskell/whoever is playing opensides nose.
Meh, just tell Lawes and Croft their only job is to get to every ruck first, then Youngs and Ashton can run the ball in.

Wings will be another odd choice:
I think Ashton is a dead cert (if he's not out injured) - the other spot is up for grabs.
You've got Cueto - Old head, brings experience to a young backline, very smart, lacking in speed though, good under high ball good defence
Strettle: Quick, can't tackle for toffee
Banahan: Not particularly fast, but is the best chance at stopping a rampaging Hosea Gear etc.
You're almost certainly wrong on two accounts there. The first being that Bannahan will look like he was in slow motion, trying to stop Hosea Gear. The second is presuming Gear will even be on tour. Yes, he's quick, strong and a try scoring machine, none of which seem to be qualities which Henry rates highly.

You're almost certainly wrong on two accounts there. The first being that Bannahan will look like he was in slow motion, trying to stop Hosea Gear. The second is presuming Gear will even be on tour. Yes, he's quick, strong and a try scoring machine, none of which seem to be qualities which Henry rates highly.
No doubt that Gear would outpace him immensely, i just meant that Banahan is a big lad and tackles hard, if he does manage to line up Gear (or whoever) then he'd be the best chance of putting them down, from a winger anyway
I mean, look at what happened when Strettle tried to tackle Gear in the summer:
(at 2:50)

Also, after watching that, how is Robshaw not in the EPS? and how was Stefon Armitage not there before his injury? Yet Worseley is?
Madness, i tell you, absolute madness.

Last edited by a moderator:
no Robshaw, Armitage, Dowson or Saull in the EPS. So basically no place for anyone who *****es the Premiership but has less than 5 caps.

As for wings, I'd expect Ashton and Cueto to start, and deservedly so.

Please can we not have any Banahan. SH guys (who we'll call the benchmark) are used to tackling big fuckers on the wing. If it's one who's not moving that fast and isn't picking any good lines (in other words Banahan) then, as happened last year, he'll get shown up. I'd honestly rather have Vainikolo, at least he has a rugby brain.

Jeremy Guscott, for once, came up with an interesting idea which is to play Delon Armitage there. He's got pace, he's in fine form this season, and defence/ high ball/ kicking abilities have never been in question. He'll certainly be a usefull player to bring off the bench since he can cover 13 as well.

Otherwise, Topsy Ojo I think is reams better than Strettle. If someone gets injured, I'd hope it's Ojo called up.

Is England still having problems getting their players( like Wilkinson) released from the Top 14 clubs for training ? No other league in the world throws as big a fit about its players being released for international duty.

no Robshaw, Armitage, Dowson or Saull in the EPS. So basically no place for anyone who *****es the Premiership but has less than 5 caps.

As for wings, I'd expect Ashton and Cueto to start, and deservedly so.

Please can we not have any Banahan. SH guys (who we'll call the benchmark) are used to tackling big fuckers on the wing. If it's one who's not moving that fast and isn't picking any good lines (in other words Banahan) then, as happened last year, he'll get shown up. I'd honestly rather have Vainikolo, at least he has a rugby brain.

Jeremy Guscott, for once, came up with an interesting idea which is to play Delon Armitage there. He's got pace, he's in fine form this season, and defence/ high ball/ kicking abilities have never been in question. He'll certainly be a usefull player to bring off the bench since he can cover 13 as well.

Otherwise, Topsy Ojo I think is reams better than Strettle. If someone gets injured, I'd hope it's Ojo called up.
Yeah, good to see Ojo is gaining back a bit of form. I was so impressed with him in 2008.

Is England still having problems getting their players( like Wilkinson) released from the Top 14 clubs for training ? No other league in the world throws as big a fit about its players being released for international duty.
Yes and No.
Wilkinson did have to miss the first training camp during the summer, but apart from that seems clear to play/train.
The thing with Top 14 releasing players is they're not contracted to, only the players are. With English clubs there's a clause saying they have to release whoever and whenever, whereas with France they do it out of the goodness of their hearts :p They're normally good with it, the only hiccup was with Haskell/Stade Francais during the 6N, when (on a weekend there wasn't a match) Stade wanted him back to play for them, but England said no, so there was a bit of trouble with that

I do hope Wilkinson plays this match. It'll be good to see a Carter vs Wilkinson game, They are, after all the two most well known first fives in the Rugby world. And I've heard great things about Wilkinson's season with Toulon. Good to hear he's back in form.

is that sarcasm? i seem to remember he did ok in 2008, scored a few tries, but we got battered around in general.

No, I like Topsy Ojo. He scored two tries against the All Blacks in that series. That puts him in a very small group consisting of four other Englishmen to have scored two tries against the AB's (while playing for England), which include Rory Underwood, Carling, Lloyd and Obolensky.

No, I like Topsy Ojo. He scored two tries against the All Blacks in that series. That puts him in a very small group consisting of four other Englishmen to have scored two tries against the AB's (while playing for England), which include Rory Underwood, Carling, Lloyd and Obolensky.

Ah Obolensky ... the Russian prince :D

Latest posts