• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs Australia

not the impact England were hoping from Lawes there, first tackle and he's turned over.

the passing has been very frustrating for England, at times there have been some sublime offloads but too many passes have been either way too high or at the feet of the oncoming player.

9 - 18 FT

Very disappointing :(
Thought we'd win that, especially after the first half, but Australia really picked up in the 2nd, and we didn't. Simple as, really.
Well done to the Aussies,
Standout aussies, to me, were The fullback (ashley-cooper (?)), the two centres (quade cooper(?) and ioane, scrumhalf (G....), and elsome
(if you can't tell, i'm cr*p with names :p )

The AAC leg drive was absolutely ridiculous, that guy must be the squat master.

Yeahhh that's my f***ing boy Genia. Most pleasing aspect of the game was the fact Australia actually had the composure to keep plugging away even after numerous botched try attempts.

7. Moody > Smith

Apart from that surprising match up Australia dominated. Special note needs to be made about Wilko's tackling, what a man. None were better then Rocky's hit on Banahan though. Huge.

9. Genia 12. Cooper 13. Ioane 14. Hynes = Reds for the win. Bet Barnes is starting to regret turning his back on Queensland.

Hope Ioane's injury isn't too serious because Cross sucks. His positioning when he came on was sketchy as.

Ashley-Cooper is the best fullback in Australia and this should be his position from now on.

great second half performance from the Aussies, we'll certainly have our hands full next Sunday if we get a repeat performance, as if we didn't already.

Uh, Australia deserved that. England were shite. Wilkinson wasn't bad - his defense and goal-kicking were pretty good - but his kicking for touch was balls, and he didn't direct the backline very well. England's backline suffered greatly today due to cluelessness from the first receivers. Good finish from Ashley Cooper for his try. Also, England totally ****ed up in the final minutes. IN THAT SITUATION YOU KICK FOR GOAL, AND HAVE AS MUCH TIME AS YOU LIKE GOING INTO INJURY TIME TO GET A TRY. God damn, utterly clueless.

All about the tackling, I think. Aus were superb, and England ... uuuh Monye and Cueto couldn't take Cooper!

Some good performances from the english, and they're trying the right things but the rhythm isn't there. Plus need some monstering up in the front five.

Genia looks like the real deal. Lawes got smashed in midfield, did well in the lineout. But what were England thinking with those final two kicks to touch!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Nov 7 2009, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
9. Genia 12. Cooper 13. Ioane 14. Hynes = Reds for the win. Bet Barnes is starting to regret turning his back on Queensland.[/b]
Forgot about Hynes, he had a good game as well. And the guys massive! I thought he was a backrow at first, but he's got pace as well

Originally posted by shtove
All about the tackling, I think. Aus were superb, and England ... uuuh Monye and Cueto couldn't take Cooper!
Admittedly it was at a bad time, but apart from that one tackle, Cueto was fantastic in defence. He also came into the pretty late, so all Cooper needed to do was fall over him
I thought England had some great tackles/most of the time had great defense

Why did Monye even start at 15 ????

Luckily they had Wilkinson and Moody or it could have been mayhem as England have not improved and Lawes got view into difference between club and international standard

Not to be harsh but we shouldn't get all excited about the Reds again then watch them fail once more when it's crunch-time.

Eugh. We lost to a better team. I can't really say any more aside from the fact that we had so much slow ball that should have been drop-goaled, rather than turned over and kicked away.

We saw

1) that David Wilson should play 3 for a long time, but aside from that we're very short of props.
2) Haskell still has something to offer at international level in spite of everything
3) Wilkinson is awesome
4) Geraghty is not + we really could do with Flutey/ Turner-Hall fit.
5) Banahan was out of his depth
6) Erinle looked out of his depth
7) We miss Delon Armitage
8) Genia, Cooper and Ashley-Cooper had crackers.

can't really see why Quade Cooper has missed out recently for Aus, he's quality. I've always thought so.

Don't know why all the England fan's are downbeat - we are ranked 7th in the world while the Aussies are ranked 3rd. To keep so close for 60 minutes with 26 injuries to our top 60 players made me very content with the performance.

Plenty of positives from a playing point of view:

- Front row really competed throughout the game, Wilson was excellent in defense and Thompson was accurate and really got himself round the park. As far as i'm concerned we have 3 international standard hookers in Mears, Hartley and Thompson and 2 quality tightheads in Vickery and Wilson (who can only learn from the others). With Sheridan and Mears to come back i'm sure we can get back to dominating up front like we used to for the full eighty minutes.

- Lineout was pretty impeccable, Borthwick performed really well and Deacon was fine. Seeing as Shaw - one of the best locks in the NH as far as i'm concerned - is soon to come back as well as the option of Lawes, Kennedy and Blaze we look set for the future too. It might be worth getting Grewcock back in the setup too as he can still perform internationally. The young locks can only get better with proven players like Shaw to learn from.

- Croft played very well at the breakdown and was always on the shoulder to carry. Moody had one of his best games of recent times (NO PENALTIES!!!) and Haskell looked up for it and prepared when he came on.

- When Australia passed it wide we defended superbly. Perfectly flat line and i was literally jumping in my seat at some of the hits.

- Wilkinson slotted back instantly, showed a yard of pace which i haven't seen for 4 or 5 years from him, and picked the right time to try attacking kicks.

- Geraghty showed moments of brilliance (i.e. the steps and the occasional successful chip, though i do concede it was not the performance we had all, maybe unrealistically from a young man back on the international scene for the first time in 2 years, expected

- Cueto attacked every time he got the ball, and put a few Aussies on the floor. Made some hard yards and looked very confident.

- We chased the restarts every time and i believe took 2 from our own kicks, really good intent.

- Johnson managed his subs well, they were all very positive changes and when they came on they all made an impact.

- Some of the passing down the blindside was very slick, Wilkinson and Geraghty put in some cracking passes to find Hipkiss and Cueto especially.

- That chip and flick back from Wilkinson was just AWESOME

However, there were some negatives:

- Geraghty, Crane, Monye and Banahan (especially) seemed very nervous, and this needs to be rectified for next week.

- Defending around the ruck was very lazy and the lack of communication was evident. That may well be expected however with only 1 of the first choice front five available.

- Banahan was very poor, slow on the turn and didnt come in looking for work. Had such high expectations for him but sadly he didnt perform today. Hope he redeems himself for next week but from this performance it looks like another Vainakolo. Having said that he has still scored 3 tries in 4 appearances for England.

- Kicking was often aimless, especially from Wilkinson, Geraghty tried to chip 50% of the time, Banahan and Monye kicked clear rather than counter-attacking like they can so well. Foden would be a good addition.

- We seemed only to have two moves;

1. Miss Geraghty and give to Hipkiss to crash up the middle.
2. Give to Geraghty and let him pop it inside for a lumpy forward to run on to.

- Erinle and Goode seem poor options on the bench, would rather see (if Geraghty starts) Tait and Foden there to inject some pace late on.

Latest posts