• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Training Squad

I think Cipiriani is done for and won't be going.

There's a video on YouTube of Ashton stating he doesn't think Cipriani will go and that Ford and Farrell run things in the team.

Outside of Farrell and Ford who do we have to kick the goals?

Francis is still in the squad ATM ... not advocating him as a frontline goal kicker, but he's probably better than Daly minus the long range kicking.

TBH, Cipriani rarely kicks for Gloucester anyway with Twelvetrees doing it most of the time.

I'm a big fan of Ford, but considering Farrell is basically undroppable, I'd like to have seen Eddie go bold and pick Cipriani in his place. Ford definitely has the ability to influence games (and was in excellent form last season) and has shown he can come on and change things (as he did against Scotland) BUT, if we needed a Hail Mary option in a knockout game, I'd back Cipriani to come on and do that more than I would Ford. There's no evidence for it, but if I needed to gamble, in that scenario, I know who I'd roll the dice on.

Sorry - double post

Last edited:
Why oh why must we be subjected to Ford as a 10 option instead of Cips, it makes zero sense to me, I thought by his initial inclusion Eddie had finally realised Cips is simply superior to Ford but apparently not.

Why oh why must we be subjected to Ford as a 10 option instead of Cips, it makes zero sense to me, I thought by his initial inclusion Eddie had finally realised Cips is simply superior to Ford but apparently not.
Watching the Rising Sons video I can't imagine Cips thanking from the bottom of his heart for the use of the woods in a team building/camping exercise unlike Ford; perhaps that's EJ's logic as I don't think it's based on performances (although can't deny Ford is pretty good)?

Even higher priority for me is sorting scrum half, although it's probably too late now. Youngs seems a pretty nice guy and has experience but is he really the 9 who's going to bring home a world cup? Seems to have one good game then go off the boil for a bit with little consistency. See Ireland in 6 nations vs the rest? Heinz too. Why is he there over a heap of young, talented British players who have shown themselves to be better than those at the England camp over the course of the 2018-19 season?

Watching the Rising Sons video I can't imagine Cips thanking from the bottom of his heart for the use of the woods in a team building/camping exercise unlike Ford; perhaps that's EJ's logic as I don't think it's based on performances (although can't deny Ford is pretty good)?

Even higher priority for me is sorting scrum half, although it's probably too late now. Youngs seems a pretty nice guy and has experience but is he really the 9 who's going to bring home a world cup? Seems to have one good game then go off the boil for a bit with little consistency. See Ireland in 6 nations vs the rest? Heinz too. Why is he there over a heap of young, talented British players who have shown themselves to be better than those at the England camp over the course of the 2018-19 season?

Yeah 9 is defiantly a concern, at this stage I think Care is probably the only sane option along side Young's, he hasn't given the others enough game time, gutted for Robson though, Ford isn't a terrible player he just isn't nearly as good as cips, it has to be a personality thing, what's Heinz box kicking like, only explanation for that I could think of is he was a SH who can box kick the opposition to death.

Confirmed, Shields injured.
Don't like to see players injured, but I'm on the Domnbrandt hype train so I'm excited.

Will be interesting to see the make up of the pack - it might be that they take an extra full on lock (on top of Krutoje/Lawes/Launch) because Lawes and Itoje have played backrow a lot so a lock covering 6 might be more preferable to a Dombrandt/Shields type covering lock

This is based on the makeup of the 2015 squad where we took 10 back 5 players (4 lock, 6 backrow)

Deffinatly on the Dombrandt hype train but couldnt care less about the cips hype.

So back rowers would be
Billy
TCurry
Wilson
Dombrandt
Underhill
Lawes/Itoje as cover

Should be a good back row battle
6 Wilson, Dombrandt
7 Curry, Underhill
8 Billy, both 6s as 8 cover

Do think its abit soon for dombrant though so i dont think he should be first choice. Maybe tier 2 teams to get experience and i hope he is used in the warm up games.

Should be a good back row battle
6 Wilson, Dombrandt
7 Curry, Underhill
8 Billy, both 6s as 8 cover

Do think its abit soon for dombrant though so i dont think he should be first choice. Maybe tier 2 teams to get experience and i hope he is used in the warm up games.

Dombrandt will be playing against USA + Tonga and will be ideal against these sides
He's well behind Billy Curry Wilson Underhill for a starting sport + Bench role in Matchday 23 for 1st team

Don't like to see players injured, but I'm on the Domnbrandt hype train so I'm excited.

Will be interesting to see the make up of the pack - it might be that they take an extra full on lock (on top of Krutoje/Lawes/Launch) because Lawes and Itoje have played backrow a lot so a lock covering 6 might be more preferable to a Dombrandt/Shields type covering lock

This is based on the makeup of the 2015 squad where we took 10 back 5 players (4 lock, 6 backrow)
We only took 9 originally (4 locks, 5 back row). Easter was called up after Vunipola got injured. I'm expecting the same make up this time. Would be a very odd call for EJ to take Ewels over Dombrandt, which means it'll probably happen.

Don't like to hear of injuries so hope it isn't too bad. Opportunity for Dombrant is there though so I hope he goes really well.

We only took 9 originally (4 locks, 5 back row). Easter was called up after Vunipola got injured. I'm expecting the same make up this time. Would be a very odd call for EJ to take Ewels over Dombrandt, which means it'll probably happen.
Ah, didn't catch that on the beeb report I was looking at,
We took three hookers and three scrumhalfs, though, so we'll probably make a spot back in one of those positions :p

Latest posts