• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Training Squad

So is marler in or is marler in as experienced cover and will leave if mako gets fit

Ludlam is just a really confusing choice all round,
Isn't he a 7? In which case you look at Ben Curry first
If you don't want a more general backrower (because you've already got T.Curry and Underhill) then you look at Dombrandt or even Kvesic

Surprised at no Brown - he's been in excellent form. A lot of faith to be putting into either an out of form Daly or a just-back-from-serious-injury Watson
And cips

Completely zoned over Marler's inclusion,

Great to see him there, and hope he goes to the RWC - didn't expect him to go back on his retirement after hearing his reasonings behind it, tbh.

Think he will probably stay in now. Do they normally take 3 LH props to a WC or just 2?

We had two in 2015, and three THs

Based on that squad and the injures I think the world cup squad will look like this -
LHP: Joe Marler, Ellis Genge, Mako Vunipola
HK: Jamie George, Luke Cowan-Dickie
THP: Kyle Sinckler, Dan Cole, Harry Williams
LK: Maro Itoje, Joe Launchbury, Courtney Lawes, George Kruis
FL: Tom Curry, Sam Underhill, Brad Shields,
#8: Billy Vunipola, Mark Wilson

SH: Ben Youngs, Ben Spencer,
FH: Owen Farrell, George Ford, Danny Cipriani
CE: Henry Slade, Manu Tuilagi, Jonathan Joseph, Ben Te'o
WG: Jonny May, Joe Cokanasiga, Jack Nowell
FB: Elliot Daly, Anthony Watson

So to be honest outside of Shields and Te'o that pretty much what I'd go for. Shield I don't hate as others as he can cover 4-8 as the 31st squad man. Moon will be very unlucky to not go but I think Marler is better.

No Thacker call up is a crime IMO. He would walk into pretty much any other international side as a dynamic, high work rate player who will cause opposition multiple problems especially as a second half sub. I've yet to meet anyone who would have current form LCD and Singleton over him in their side plus Thacker being only 25 will likely be good for another two world cups on top of this one.

Scrum half is even weirder when you think about it, why is Heinz there at all? No justification when you have the likes of Alex Mitchell and Harry Randall as great upcoming prospects with as much international experience as Heinz (0). They may not play in the WC but integrating them into the England set up should be a priority.

Pleased Marler is there though, wonder what made him change his mind.

Thacker wouldn't be in any international team, not unless it was one made for the vertically challenged.

I get having Ludlum in the squad to train against, as he's brilliant at the breakdown. It will let the players have some practice but no way is he going to the WC.

Right so im sure we are on pretty similar on who we think will be 31man squad

LH mako marler genge. moon for mako of not fot
Hk george lcd singleton
Th sinks williams cole
Lk itoje lawes kruis launch.
Fl curry underhill shields
No.8 billy Wilson

Sh. Youngs Spencer
Fh. Ford faz cips
Ct. Manu slade JJ
Wg. May big joe nowell
Fb. Daly watson

Given that as roughly who i think will go we are saying if there are injuries the first people on the team sheet are
As back row cover ludlam? Rather than dombrandt, BCurry, simmonds and even hughes.

If a 9 goes down next in line is the uncapped heinz in a world cup? Not care or robson who are on form.

As 12 cover teo? Who bearly played the last 2 seasons and francais? Luckily slade and manu both play 12/ and JJ and daly cover 13 but that means only watson at 15.

If we lose a FB are we saying Mcconnochie is next? Over brown and everyone else?

I know its just a training squad but if them players wont be called up over the people who arnt in the squad then why are they there. And if they will be called up then why them over the experience.

I just dont understand it.

My best guess at a squad:
1. Vunipola, Marler, Genge
2. George, LCD
3. Sinckler, Williams, Cole
4. Itoje, Launchbury
5. Kruis, Lawes
6. Wilson, Shields
7. Curry, Underhill
8. Vunipola
9. Youngs, Spencer
10. Farrell, Ford, Cipriani
11. May
12. Tuilagi, Te'o
13. Slade, Joseph
14. Nowell, Cokonasiga
15. Daly, Watson

Thacker wouldn't be in any international team, not unless it was one made for the vertically challenged.
He's 7cm shorter than Jamie George, that's not a lot especially for the position. Plus the height gives Thacker (175cm) the advantage given how low he gets. Same height as Mark Regan who was a great international hooker who boshed up many front rows over the years and Thacker is miles ahead of him in every other aspect. Lee Mears 1cm taller and also highly regarded. Singleton is only 5cm taller for example.

You'll get turnovers, big meters gained, ability to play first receiver, high tackle count, decent darts, passing, footwork and support play guaranteed... from your #2. No brainer. Drawback would be slightly less power in the scrum but with arguably some of the finest props in the world either side (and locks for that matter) it won't be a problem. BT pointed out Bears were near the top end for scrum stats during one of their last televised games showing that it's more or less a non-issue and the gains far outweigh anything else.

He's 7cm shorter than Jamie George, that's not a lot especially for the position. Plus the height gives Thacker (175cm) the advantage given how low he gets. Same height as Mark Regan who was a great international hooker who boshed up many front rows over the years and Thacker is miles ahead of him in every other aspect. Lee Mears 1cm taller and also highly regarded. Singleton is only 5cm taller for example.

You'll get turnovers, big meters gained, ability to play first receiver, high tackle count, decent darts, passing, footwork and support play guaranteed... from your #2. No brainer. Drawback would be slightly less power in the scrum but with arguably some of the finest props in the world either side (and locks for that matter) it won't be a problem. BT pointed out Bears were near the top end for scrum stats during one of their last televised games showing that it's more or less a non-issue and the gains far outweigh anything else.

Umm 5cm and the weight that goes with it is quite a lot. Mears was great but also retired a long time ago, times have changed, players are bigger and much stronger. Thacker would get destroyed at international level.

Umm 5cm and the weight that goes with it is quite a lot. Mears was great but also retired a long time ago, times have changed, players are bigger and much stronger. Thacker would get destroyed at international level.
Times have not changed that much everyone said that Moore was too small for England and the Lions but managed a load of caps for both. Personally I think Thacker is dynamite and offers far more at hooker than most of his peers. Reminds me a bit of Phil Greening and I think they are about the same size too.

Id actually have liked thacker to get a shot on form to prove himself either way. He is smaller and lighter than the rest and im not saying hed overtake george or hartley but might push LCD hard, as a chiefs fan i want to see LCD smash it but he hasnt been amazing tbh so why not let him have a go before now. I dont massivly rate singleton, he isnt bad just not world class.

Thacker at 60 min would make a positive impact IMO, and if he didnt work out then so be it.

Thacker's height isn't the major issue. It's that he weighs 96kg. That's too small.
Lee Mears = 98kg
Mark Regan = 99kg
Schalk Brits = 100kg

Doesn't seem like an issue unless we're going to say Brits is too small? Thacker could probably put on a key or two and not have it affect his game too much if really required.

Lee Mears = 98kg
Mark Regan = 99kg
Schalk Brits = 100kg

Doesn't seem like an issue unless we're going to say Brits is too small? Thacker could probably put on a key or two and not have it affect his game too much if really required.
Brits is probably the best handling tight five player of all time and he has 11 caps. I am saying that he's too small. Mears and Regan are from a different time, they aren't comparable.

Acting like Jamie George is some mug or something, he's better ball in hand than Thacker

Thacker is great highlights reel hooker and if it wasn't world cup year I wouldn't mind him getting a look in in a lesser game, but not in a world cup squad as an uncapped player, yeesh.
I'm not even a fan of LCD but he deffo should be there over Thacker

Interesting if Youngs and Spencer go. You'd think you'd want to pair Youngs with Ford and Spencer with Farrell for that familiarity but this would mean one of the favourite 9 or 10 being pushed to the bench. I'd be more inclined to start Spencer with Farrell and bring on Ford and Youngs at the end. Even when on poor form, Youngs looked ok coming on at the end of the game and I think Ford is actually in decent form, despite Tigers team form.

Can anyone think of any international head coach whose handling of one position has been even close to as batshit crazy as Eddie Jones's scrum half strategy?

Latest posts