[EOYT] Portugal vs. Fiji. 09/11/13

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
Portugal.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Fiji.png

Portugal vs. Fiji. 09/11/13, 15:00 WET(4:00 Fijian Daylight Time* Sunday) Estádio Universitário de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal.

Referee: Juan Sylvestre (Argentina)

The Flying Fijians (13th) and the Portuguese Lobos (22nd) meet up for only the second test between the two sides, the single previous test Fiji ran out 26-17 winners. Fiji have recovered from some terrible form in 2010-2012 and will be looking for a good end of year tour to keep building for the 2015 RWC. While Portugal have a chance to gain valuble test experience something they need as they are in a tough position in RWCQ at the moment.

Lineups wll be posted when available.

The only match I ever saw (most of the match, not even full) with Portugal was the one in the 2007 RWC Pool against NZ...the 'Lobos' actually managed a try, if anybody's curious (starts at the try):

Last edited by a moderator:
logically easy win for fijians.... but lot of mistakes, fouls by fijians

Tuned in just in time to see a nice Fijian score, they are up now 33-6 and in full control.

Edit: Might be 31 I could have sworn he got the conversion but hasn't gone on the graphic.

Last edited:
Portugues showing some good phases, nice basic skills, results in a try 31-13 with a few minutes to go.

i don't see any interest for fiji to play against team like portugal, they didn't play a great match but they easily win... still the same problems, indiscipline, faults, poor pass, poor line-outs etc...
i hope i'm wrong but i think Italy will win quite easily next week

Thats how Fiji usually are against the smaller teams. Last time they played Portugal in 2005, it was 26 - 17. So at least they actually won this by a decent margin.

I tried to watch the game on stream but the quality was real bad, like watching still images, saw some of the tries kinda though lol, so idk how they played. Anyone know where I can see some highlights or replays?

Last edited:
Nalaga, Matawalu played very well, Nagusa receive a yellow card (Matawalu = the future of the team) Nalaga seems to be motivated to play for fiji since the PNC
I didn't see Talebula & Goneva, i hope they play against Italy...

Male introduces new players the winger from the chiefs (i didn't really see him) and the former player from Stade Français Rokobaro (he didn't play enough time to judge)

FIJI Team: Nagusa (Montpellier, FRA), Nalaga (Clermont, FRA), Nadolo (NEC Japan-Crusaders, NZ), Bai (Castres, FRA), Tikoirotuma (Chiefs, NZ), Luveniyali (Naitasiri), Matawalu (Glasgow Warriors, SCO), Yanuyanutawa (Glasgow Warriors, SCO), Veikoso (Suva), Somoca (Nadroga), Ratuniyarawa (Agen, Pro D2, FRA), Lewaravu (Stade Montois, Pro D2, FRA), Naikatini (Toyota Verblitz, JAP), Qera (Gloucester, ENG), Koyamaibole (Lyon, Pro D2, FRA)
Replacements: Naureure (Nadroga), Ma'afu (Nottingham, ENG), Saulo (Suva), Waqaniburotukula (Brive, FRA), Ravulo (North Harbour, NZ), N. Kenatale (Southland, NZ), Rokabaro (Melbourne Rebels, AUS), Botia (Namosi)

Tries: Nalaga, Tikoirotuma, Bai, N. Kenatale, Nadolo, Botia

Missings: Talei (Newport, WAL) visa problem, Matadigo (Racing, FRA), Goneva (Leicester, ENG), Nayacalevu (St. Français, FRA), Talebula (Bordeaux-bègles, FRA)

A lot of guys from france...

Last edited:
FIJI Team: Nagusa (Montpellier, FRA), Nalaga (Clermont, FRA), Nadolo (NEC Japan-Crusaders, NZ), Bai (Castres, FRA), Tikoirotuma (Chiefs, NZ), Luveniyali (Naitasiri), Matawalu (Glasgow Warriors, SCO), Yanuyanutawa (Glasgow Warriors, SCO), Veikoso (Suva), Somoca (Nadroga), Ratuniyarawa (Agen, Pro D2, FRA), Lewaravu (Stade Montois, Pro D2, FRA), Naikatini (Toyota Verblitz, JAP), Qera (Gloucester, ENG), Koyamaibole (Lyon, Pro D2, FRA)
Replacements: Naureure (Nadroga), Ma'afu (Nottingham, ENG), Saulo (Suva), Waqaniburotukula (Brive, FRA), Ravulo (North Harbour, NZ), N. Kenatale (Southland, NZ), Rokabaro (Melbourne Rebels, AUS), Botia (Namosi)

Tries: Nalaga, Tikoirotuma, Bai, N. Kenatale, Nadolo, Botia

Missings: Talei (Newport, WAL) visa problem, Matadigo (Racing, FRA), Goneva (Leicester, ENG), Nayacalevu (St. Français, FRA), Talebula (Bordeaux-bègles, FRA)

A lot of guys from france...

Nayacalevu failed some fitness test or something. I like Nadolo better than Goneva. I guess we'll have to see who's better at fullback between Talebula and Nagusa. I'm surprised Josh Matavesi isn't in the team though, maybe something to do with his club? His brother Sam Matavesi was also good when he made his debut this year. They still need a good first five, Lutumailagi was alright this year for a new guy, but he isn't in the team. Their best hooker Talemaitoga isn't in the team either, don't know why, he was playing for Southland in the itm cup

From what I could see, it looked like Fiji's scrum was pretty good, is that right?

I really hope someone uploads the highlights for this.

Last edited:

Latest posts