• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Scotland V Australia 23/11/13

Whats the point of a TMO when the ref makes a decision from the replay???

He's lucky there wasn't clearer angles - looked like it could have hit him in the face which could be a red.

Just switched on: Ahh god he looked for the offload from the break after the lineout; Andy Nichols says it was the right option to take(offload) but I'm not sure. Keep it in hand, you're already making ground.

Is the David Beckham of Scottish rugby not playing?

So a yellow card for Simmons; I can't really get behind this treatment of the law at all.... Scotland 1 holding Gold 4 back. I agree you have t be punished for punching, but I don't think it should ever mean you don't at very last reprimand the scotland player committing the original foul play; it's not like the 2nd wrong cancels out the 1st, right?

Anyway, come on Scotland!

IRB must lower the score penalties. Wallabies made two tries against none of Scotland and the Scots are just down 3 points! It's very unfair

IRB must lower the score penalties. Wallabies made two tries against none of Scotland and the Scots are just down 3 points! It's very unfair

yeah we had the thread about that. I agree, but I suppose the game is so well installed like this...but it's true many matches in Rugby Union are won by a team collecting on the opponents' mistake rather than truly taking the game into its own hands and scoring over the opponent. Often, a team loses the match rather than the other winning the match.

Kieran Low coming on for Scotland.
Kieran+Low+England+U20+Rugby+Union+Headshots+WstTmtdqIMTl.jpg

Did those words just happen? Do you really mean that?

Also, don't forget your definite articles.

Australia made 2 tries and Scotland made 0 tries. What do you not understand?

I'm on a forum where everyone speaks Spanish and we have a forum member who is French and speaks only French. NOBODY laughs at him when he made a mistake in Spanish, everyone help him. That is not the spirit of rugby!

Australia are keeping Scotland in the game by missing those penalties.

yeah we had the thread about that. I agree, but I suppose the game is so well installed like this...but it's true many matches in Rugby Union are won by a team collecting on the opponents' mistake rather than truly taking the game into its own hands and scoring over the opponent. Often, a team loses the match rather than the other winning the match.

I'm sorry but if you think this you show a misunderstanding of the game in its complexity. The entire point of the penalty system is recognising that when teams commit penalty offences, they are reducing the chance that the opposition can score tries; and that is a lot of the time why penalties are given away; you slow down ball at ruck-time because the opposition are in a threatening position and you take the 'lesser evil'. Or, when the opposition make a big line-break, you don't get fully back onside and give a penalty away - but the reason you have rushed to get back onside and not done so correctly is because you don't want them to score a try.

You have to accept that penalties can reflect a balance of power; if a team repepatedly wins penalties at the breakdown, it's often because you have a superior openside flanker. You can't just chalk those penalties down as opposition mistakes, they're valid points because you force the other side not mistake, by big line-breaks, big scrums etc. Scoring points this way isi as valid as any other. And as for punishing teams making mistakes, its not as if knock-ons are penalty offences in the first place...

Australia made 2 tries and Scotland made 0 tries. What do you not understand?

I'm on a forum where everyone speaks Spanish and we have a forum member who is French and speaks only French. NOBODY laughs at him when he made a mistake in Spanish, everyone help him. That is not the spirit of rugby!
Sorry just to clarify, I'm not seriously picking bones about your wording, I'm just trying to emphasise my surprise at the opinion that penalties should be worth less.

Henry
^ agreed. Certainly about the "You have to accept that penalties can reflect a balance of power", but I still think the scoring system could be reviewed.
Nobody's underestimating that a team committing a number of penalties is often because it's under pressure and being subjected at the breakdown to the opponent's superiority. What you're missing is that there still are many, many ways to commit silly penalties at Rugby, even at pro int'l level, and those sometimes are the reason a team loses. Sure discipline is important, but for it to make you lose a match you've scored 3 tries to none in ? Those are the limits of the system.
Two silly mistakes and the opponent is right there on top 6-5.

It's just the very principle that a team doesn't need to actually score over his opponent, i.e. the very principle of team sports, to win a match. In fact, a team can win heftily by collecting 3 pointers. But we had this talk before...
CAN SCOTLAND SCORE THAT TRY ?!!

Latest posts