• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Scotland V Australia 23/11/13

Scotland seriously needed that little extra all - year - long. Very frustrating. But they've shown almost dramatic improvement from the year prior., 2013 has had some very good elements for Scotland.
A brave 23.

Happy Aussies get another win though on their Tour though. The yearly report is looking much less grim.

Scotland seriously needed that little extra all - year - long. Very frustrating. But they've shown almost dramatic improvement from the year prior., 2013 has had some very good elements for Scotland.
A brave 23.

Happy Aussies get another win though on their Tour though. The yearly report is looking much less grim.

It was alright but not really a fair assessment opportunity..........they blew a try and other than that threatened not a lot....the defence was good but this was an opposition team shorn of a lot of their better players. I will reserve judgment to the 6 N methinks!!

Thought ref was just about OK but thoroughly weak with his use of the yellow......he warned the aussies and they then cvommitted two similar slow down offences and were not given yellow! If I were a Kiwi, I would be itemising the things he got wrong in addition to that but I am not and have not got the energy or time to do it anyway!!! Allez les Blues maintent!!!

Good win for Wallabies without 8 players, they had to improvise their team and put 2 scrum-halves on the bench (White and Phipps)

I'm sorry but if you think this you show a misunderstanding of the game in its complexity. The entire point of the penalty system is recognising that when teams commit penalty offences, they are reducing the chance that the opposition can score tries; and that is a lot of the time why penalties are given away; you slow down ball at ruck-time because the opposition are in a threatening position and you take the 'lesser evil'. Or, when the opposition make a big line-break, you don't get fully back onside and give a penalty away - but the reason you have rushed to get back onside and not done so correctly is because you don't want them to score a try.

You have to accept that penalties can reflect a balance of power; if a team repepatedly wins penalties at the breakdown, it's often because you have a superior openside flanker. You can't just chalk those penalties down as opposition mistakes, they're valid points because you force the other side not mistake, by big line-breaks, big scrums etc. Scoring points this way isi as valid as any other. And as for punishing teams making mistakes, its not as if knock-ons are penalty offences in the first place...
Yeah, this is the lesson from England's defeat by NZ in the league semi-final today - the team that deserves to win is the one that's allowed to attack.

I think the difference between the codes is law v rules. Law is more interesting, but today's rules game at Wembley was amazingly good.

It was alright but not really a fair assessment opportunity..........they blew a try and other than that threatened not a lot....the defence was good but this was an opposition team shorn of a lot of their better players. I will reserve judgment to the 6 N methinks!!

Thought ref was just about OK but thoroughly weak with his use of the yellow......he warned the aussies and they then cvommitted two similar slow down offences and were not given yellow! If I were a Kiwi, I would be itemising the things he got wrong in addition to that but I am not and have not got the energy or time to do it anyway!!! Allez les Blues maintent!!!

yeh, right.....:yawn:

IRB must lower the score penalties. Wallabies made two tries against none of Scotland and the Scots are just down 3 points! It's very unfair

From what I saw of the match (had something else to do mid way through the second half), Australia cynically gave away penalties every time Scotland looked threatening and made some inroads. If those offences didn't take place, there would have been more chance that Scotland could have scored a try or two. Reducing the score for penalties would do nothing but give the defending side more of a reason to offend.

This isn't having a go at Australia, every side does it. It also doesn't excuse Scotland's lack of cutting edge and ability to finish a move off, but it certainly doesn't mean that a close game where one side has scored a few try's and the other has only scored penalties is unfair.

Saying that, there are a couple of things that could be changed imo. Firstly ref's are over eager to award a penalty for offside from a knock-on, instead of ruling accidental offside. A lot of the time it's a reaction from the player in front of the ball, not something completely deliberate. Secondly, I'm not a fan of penalties that occur when a player kicks the ball being located where the ball lands. Sometimes very minor offences that occur in one 22 (slightly late challenge for example, such as Coopers late hit on Maitland today) end up in kick-able penalties in the other 22, and I don't see why that should necessarily be the case.

Kieran Low coming on for Scotland.
Kieran+Low+England+U20+Rugby+Union+Headshots+WstTmtdqIMTl.jpg
i didn't think he would be allowed to play for scotland

From what I saw of the match (had something else to do mid way through the second half), Australia cynically gave away penalties every time Scotland looked threatening and made some inroads. If those offences didn't take place, there would have been more chance that Scotland could have scored a try or two. Reducing the score for penalties would do nothing but give the defending side more of a reason to offend.

This isn't having a go at Australia, every side does it. It also doesn't excuse Scotland's lack of cutting edge and ability to finish a move off, but it certainly doesn't mean that a close game where one side has scored a few try's and the other has only scored penalties is unfair.

Saying that, there are a couple of things that could be changed imo. Firstly ref's are over eager to award a penalty for offside from a knock-on, instead of ruling accidental offside. A lot of the time it's a reaction from the player in front of the ball, not something completely deliberate. Secondly, I'm not a fan of penalties that occur when a player kicks the ball being located where the ball lands. Sometimes very minor offences that occur in one 22 (slightly late challenge for example, such as Coopers late hit on Maitland today) end up in kick-able penalties in the other 22, and I don't see why that should necessarily be the case.
You on HPC too?

Wallabies kept Scotland in the game through penalties which I predicted. Scotland were pretty embarrassing, never looked like scoring from General play. Wallabies will have the troops back for Wales and hopefully will play a lot better.

BREAKING NEWS: Scotland push for a change in penalty scores from 3 to 5 and tries from 5 to 1. All of the Northern Hemisphere have backed them in this change.

Latest posts