EOYT: Scotland vs Tonga, 24/11/2012

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen (24-11-2012, 15:00 GMT)
Scotland.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Tonga.png

Referee: Mathieu Raynal (France)
Assistant referees: TBD
Television match official: TBD

Didn't realise Heathcote was Scottish to be honest, I'm sure he played age grade for England.

Very good player, though - strengthens their depth at 10.

Scottish born so that'll stop any repeat of the Shingler fiasco.

Appears Stuart Lancaster opted against selecting him for the England Saxons side over the summer (which I believe is England's designated "reserve" side) so he's not tied into representing them.

Be interesting to see how he gets on and whether he'll become the first choice 10 or whether AR will cap him this weekend then leave him out until an injury hits Laidlaw/Jackson or Weir.

Last edited:
Scotland is going to beat the crap out of Tonga here I predict...good effort despite the 51pts against, vs NZ. Really kept SA in control but couldn't quite capitalize.
Now they're just going to unleash a few weeks' worth of angry Scott frustration on those fellas.

Scotland is going to beat the crap out of Tonga here I predict...good effort despite the 51pts against, vs NZ. Really kept SA in control but couldn't quite capitalize.
Now they're just going to unleash a few weeks' worth of angry Scott frustration on those fellas.

hahahaha I hope so.

He might also be building Heathcote into another 12 option as we don't have a lot of talent in the centre. Maybe push Scott to 13 and drop De luca

Did not know Heathcote was born in Scotland (Inverness, apparently). When did he move to England?

The Tongans are not to be underestimated in this game. They have a lot of size and physicality in the forwards and they have a lot of talent in the back line. Scotland will have to keep it structured and attack at the set piece, particularly at the line out, to keep the Tongans at bay. The Tongans will have to keep their discipline, put on the hard hits and use their physicality up front to bully and intimidate the opposition. Line out and scrum time will be crucial for them as this is where the Scots will look to expose them as their scrum fell apart vs Italy in the second half and their lineout was very shaky last w/e vs USA. If they can do all of that and their backs can keep ball in hand and handle it well enough not to knock on at crucial times...they maybe chance of an upset this weekend.

I don't think teams should be able to make U20 sides their designated second team.

Seems a bit silly that Heathcote (England U20) can play for Scotland but Shingler (Wales U20) cannot.

Either playing U20's makes any player locked to a country, or it doesn't. No different rules for different countries.

From SRU website

Scotland team (sponsor RBS) to play Tonga in the EMC Test at Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen on Saturday 24 November, kick-off 3pm
15 Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) 9 caps, 1 try, 5 points
14 Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors) 70 caps, 8 tries, 40 points
13 Max Evans (Castres) 31 caps, 3 tries, 15 points
12 Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby) 6 caps
11 Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby) 4 caps, 4 tries, 20 points
10 Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby) 12 caps, 2 tries, 11 conversions, 17 penalties, 83 points
9 Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors) 2 caps, 1 try, 5 points
1 Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors) 5 caps
2 Scott Lawson (London Irish) 35 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
3 Euan Murray (Worcester Warriors) 48 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
4 Richie Gray (Sale Sharks) 26 caps, 1 try, 5 points
5 Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors) 46 caps, 1 try, 5 points
6 Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan) 29 caps, 1 try, 5 points
7 Kelly Brown (Saracens) CAPTAIN 51 caps, 4 tries, 20 points
8 David Denton (Edinburgh Rugby) 8 caps
Substitutes
16 Dougie Hall (Glasgow Warriors) 38 caps, 1 try, 5 points
17 Kyle Traynor (Bristol Rugby) 3 caps
18 Geoff Cross (Edinburgh Rugby) 16 caps, 1 try, 5 points
19 Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby) uncapped
20 John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors) 40 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
21 Rory Lawson (Newcastle Falcons) 30 caps
22 Tom Heathcote (Bath Rugby) uncapped
23 Nick De Luca (Edinburgh Rugby) 37 caps, 1 try, 5 points

Meh.

13, 14 & 23 Extreme Meh. If I could post that 'Mackayla is not impressed' .gif, I would.

5 times.

At the very least.

Tongan team vs Scotland
1. Alisona Taumalolo
2. Elvis Taione
3. Halani' Aulika
4. Joe Tu'ineau
5. Lua Lokotui
6. Hale T Pole
7. Nili Latu (c)
8. Viliamu Ma'afu
9. Taniela Moa
10. 'Fangatapu Apikatoa
11. William Helu
12. Sione Piukala
13. Suka Hufanga
14. Fetu'u Vainikolo
15. Vunga'koto Lilo

16. Iliasa Ma'asi 17. Tevita Mailau 18. Sitiveni Ma'afi 19. Sione Timani 20. Kamaliele Sakalia 21. Viliami 'Iongi 22. Eddie Paea 23. Alipate Fatafehi

Last edited:
Seaton what is your issue with Sean Lamont? He plays great for Scotland. He might not be the quickest winger, but his work around the park is amazing. He rucks hard, turns up in random spots for support.

As for Evans, I would rather him than De Luca, and we really don't have another option at 13 anyways.

Seaton what is your issue with Sean Lamont? He plays great for Scotland. He might not be the quickest winger, but his work around the park is amazing. He rucks hard, turns up in random spots for support.

As for Evans, I would rather him than De Luca, and we really don't have another option at 13 anyways.

That Brown, Murchie and Dunbar are behind the tried and tested, often bested, Lamont x2, de Luca and Evans is poor. The latter has had very little time playing in France, the second has shipped tries and has feet for hands and the former x2 bring nothing extra to the team. At international level you are expected to be able to perform the basics competently (which IMO none of them do) , so it is down to what extra you can constructively bring to the party.

All well and good if Lamont turns up at rucks, but I strongly disagree he turns up in support for Scotland. Visser turns up in support, this is evident by his try scoring record (not that this is by any means the only indicator I am using). Lamont does it a little more than adequately at club level, but is defensively a liability at wing, as he often goes missing or is at the bottom of a ruck having over-committed.

From SRU website

Scotland team (sponsor RBS) to play Tonga in the EMC Test at Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen on Saturday 24 November, kick-off 3pm
15 Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) 9 caps, 1 try, 5 points
14 Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors) 70 caps, 8 tries, 40 points
13 Max Evans (Castres) 31 caps, 3 tries, 15 points
12 Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby) 6 caps
11 Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby) 4 caps, 4 tries, 20 points
10 Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby) 12 caps, 2 tries, 11 conversions, 17 penalties, 83 points
9 Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors) 2 caps, 1 try, 5 points
1 Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors) 5 caps
2 Scott Lawson (London Irish) 35 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
3 Euan Murray (Worcester Warriors) 48 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
4 Richie Gray (Sale Sharks) 26 caps, 1 try, 5 points
5 Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors) 46 caps, 1 try, 5 points
6 Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan) 29 caps, 1 try, 5 points
7 Kelly Brown (Saracens) CAPTAIN 51 caps, 4 tries, 20 points
8 David Denton (Edinburgh Rugby) 8 caps
Substitutes
16 Dougie Hall (Glasgow Warriors) 38 caps, 1 try, 5 points
17 Kyle Traynor (Bristol Rugby) 3 caps
18 Geoff Cross (Edinburgh Rugby) 16 caps, 1 try, 5 points
19 Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby) uncapped
20 John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors) 40 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
21 Rory Lawson (Newcastle Falcons) 30 caps
22 Tom Heathcote (Bath Rugby) uncapped
23 Nick De Luca (Edinburgh Rugby) 37 caps, 1 try, 5 points

Meh.

13, 14 & 23 Extreme Meh. If I could post that 'Mackayla is not impressed' .gif, I would.

5 times.

At the very least.

About time de Luca was dropped. And also Ford has been guaranteed his position for ages despite poor performances at the lineout so good he's out, although Lawson can be a penalty machine at times. Interesting to note that Heathcote immediately leapfrogs Jackson as second choice fly half. Jackson really hasn't kicked on and built on the potential he showed when he first came onto the scene, he's in danger of becoming Godman II. When Weir gets fit again he will be down to fourth choice.

I wouldn't worry too much about Lamont Lord Hope. Maitland will probably be there by the 6N. As for the lack of quality centres, there isn't so much hope for Scotland, what options are there?

Tongan team vs Scotland
1. Alisona Taumalolo
2. Elvis Taione
3. Halani' Aulika
4. Joe Tu'ineau
5. Lua Lokotui
6. Hale T Pole
7. Nili Latu (c)
8. Viliamu Ma'afu
9. Taniela Moa
10. 'Fangatapu Apikatoa
11. William Helu
12. Sione Piukala
13. Suka Hufanga
14. Fetu'u Vainikolo
15. Vunga'koto Lilo

16. Iliasa Ma'asi 17. Tevita Mailau 18. Sitiveni Ma'afu 19. Sione Timani 20. Kamaliele Sakalia 21. Viliami 'Iongi 22. Eddie Paea 23. Alipate Fatafehi

Where's Tonga'uiha? And why has Steve Mafi been dropped?

I wouldn't worry too much about Lamont Lord Hope. Maitland will probably be there by the 6N. As for the lack of quality centres, there isn't so much hope for Scotland, what options are there?

Would rather Lamont than Maitland actually, at least the former is Scottish.

As for centres, maybe not *quality*, but in between Bennett, Murchie, Dunbar and Hogg none of de Luca, Evans or Lamont should be looking at getting a shot in the 13 jersey come the Six Nations.

I don't think teams should be able to make U20 sides their designated second team.

Seems a bit silly that Heathcote (England U20) can play for Scotland but Shingler (Wales U20) cannot.

Either playing U20's makes any player locked to a country, or it doesn't. No different rules for different countries.

Run for cover.

Where's Tonga'uiha? And why has Steve Mafi been dropped?
Not sure bout Tonga'uiha but Steve Mafi is there on the bench (I re edited the post as I made a typo).

Would rather Lamont than Maitland actually, at least the former is Scottish.

As for centres, maybe not *quality*, but in between Bennett, Murchie, Dunbar and Hogg none of de Luca, Evans or Lamont should be looking at getting a shot in the 13 jersey come the Six Nations.

You must be messing around, yes Maitland is not Scottish, but have you seen the guy play for the Crusaders... a beauty on the field.

I agree with you about our centres, max has never reached his full potential. De Luca is a worst centre than me (I play Lock). That is why I think we need to bread new talent there soon.

But I still disagree with the Lamont comments, He is great under high balls, he competes all the times for up and unders, throws his body on the line. He is one of the few wingers that tries to block, chase down kicks, and his defense has always been good.

Lets see what Andy does, for the future of the 13 spot. I think Scott did more than enough to lock down the 12 jersey for sometime. But I would be interested to see if Andy takes an England approach and tries breading a young fly half into a 12 reserve or even starter.

I want to support a Scottish team full of Scots... not South African, New Zealand and English reserves whom "have always known I am eligible to play for Scotland."

An international team is supposed to represent the country it comes from, its people, their values, their culture, etc...

Parachuting in Laney MIIs is not in line with the above.

As for 12, Matt Scott is already a fly-half playing at centre. Likewise Horne at Glasgow.

Latest posts