Exeter Chiefs thread

Scotty

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Exeter
Its about time we had one of these.

Going well in Europe, at the top of the prem table

But the main thing thats impressed me is that we are building depth. Showed in the win over Tigers that we do have multiple combinations of players that works.

Worried about doeth in the centre and wing though but good to see devoto back. But you know therest an issue when O Flaherty is injured and you have to play Whitten there

What do we think about the season so far.

As done in the Quins thread that i thought i would copy, here is my strongest 23 with all players fit.

1. Hepburn
2. LCD
3. Williams
4. Hill
5. Skinner
6. Ewers
7. Kvesic
8. Simmonds
9. White
10. Simmonds
11. O'Flaherty
12. Devoto
13. Slade
14. Nowell
15. Hogg

16. Yendle
17. Moon
18. Street
19. Dennis
20. Vermeulen(or Armand)
21. Maunder(or Townsend)
22. Steeeeeno
23. Woodburn

Last edited:
The only difference I'd make would be Francis for Street. Give it 12 months and maybe.
Bit hard on Kirsten and Sam Hill who have both been very good this season. Like i said in other thread I'd rather see Bodilly or Short on the wing than Whitten.
If Slade is going to be out, i'd like to see Nowell come in at 13 for the Sarries game, that's assuming O'Flaherty is fit. Looking forward to that one.

The only difference I'd make would be Francis for Street. Give it 12 months and maybe.
Bit hard on Kirsten and Sam Hill who have both been very good this season. Like i said in other thread I'd rather see Bodilly or Short on the wing than Whitten.
If Slade is going to be out, i'd like to see Nowell come in at 13 for the Sarries game, that's assuming O'Flaherty is fit. Looking forward to that one.
Francais on form will be pushing williams for the 3 shirt i totally forgot about him.

Hill is a good prem player, kirsten is going well but also made a few mistakes and skinner when fit is one of our best.

Whitten like dollmen and steeno are still good but dropping off abit.

So looking forward to this one but i dont know if i can watch it! So annoying but oh well. Ewers kvesic Simmonds id like to see as the back row.

Sounds like Slade has pretty significant injury to both ankles

"Sladey's going to be out for a little while," Exeter director of rugby Rob Baxter told the club website.

"It is, however, not something he will be able to get over in a week or two - it's more significant than that."

Henry Slade: Exeter and England centre sidelined by ankle injuries - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50898229

Big hit as its arguably the weakest position in terms of depth atm. I mean devoto hill whitten are the only experienced players, maybe nowell can cover 13 but wing is abit bare atm too, and with sarries next week this is a big loss.

The one positive being we have 2 rounds prem then 2 rounds in europe where we only need 1 point or to stop glasgow getting max points. So we can afford to be a little weaker vs them (as long as we arnt complacent)

I hope we dont see hendrickson but it seems Baxter likes him for some reason.

If o Flaherty and Cuthbert are still out i think we will see a back line of
White
Steeno
Woodburn
Devoto
Hill
Nowell
JSimmonds

21 Townsend
22 Hendrickson (rather Bodily)
23 Whitten

Joe Simmonds sited for tackle vs La Rochelle, does anyone know which tackle it was and if it was a bad hit?

If they can somehow ban the war bonnets and tomahawk chop from the crowd then that'd be great

It's been said a load recently but I don't get why they decided to go with Native American chiefs when they could quite easily have gone with a Celtic warrior type chief for their logos - and then bought into the whole Celtic theme with their branding.

Doing the bare minimum like every company would do.

this did make me chuckle somewhat.
"It was noted over the years we have had players and coaches from around the world with a wide range of nationalities and cultures. At no time have any players, coaches or their families said anything but positive comments about the branding or culture that exists at the club." - Not sure how it's relevant given they haven't had 1 American player let alone a native american.

Should have renamed themselves the "Exeter Bigdawgs"

Who here would have chang
Chiefs to keep name / logo. I think that's fine, some others may not.

Agree, i think its fine too. What is the main argument about it being offensive? im sure they picked the Native American chiefs logo as a sign of respect to a great people.

I will say i have done little research on this subject so dont claim not know alot about it so dont bite my head off :)

Agree, i think its fine too. What is the main argument about it being offensive? im sure they picked the Native American chiefs logo as a sign of respect to a great people.

I will say i have done little research on this subject so dont claim not know alot about it so dont bite my head off :)

There's a twitter thread about it here:

And a piece by a historian:

The issue isn't specifically the name but the stereotypes/charicatures used by the marketing and the fans
Warpaint, tomahawks, war bonnets, tomahawk chop etc.

I don't see anything bad in it neither, even in tomahawks and war bonnets (yes,these are stereotypes,but not offensive stereotypes).. just a bit weird as a name and logo,but if there's a long history behind it, then I can understand.

(yes,these are stereotypes,but not offensive stereotypes)
I would really talk to a Native American about this one because I can assure you they'd have a very different opinion about if these things are offensive or not.

We had a massive debate on this years ago nothing has really changed since then to change my mind. The issue is the marketing materials and this debate won't stop until they stop with the headdresses, war drums and chop as that's the offensive ****. Honestly we can have a sensible discussion about Swing Low but this stuff is oudated tripe.

I would really talk to a Native American about this one because I can assure you they'd have a very different opinion about if these things are offensive or not.
Yes, I agree, maybe we don't really understand Native American's culture. Just put myself in the same situation: would I feel myself offended if someone's wearing a part of our national costume (for example)..I think, I wouldn't be offended,but it's really better to ask Native Americans if it is related to their culture.

. I guess it's a touchier subject when your land was the one that was colonised
Ah, I didn't think of historical background. I see what you mean now

Doing the bare minimum like every company would do.

this did make me chuckle somewhat.
"It was noted over the years we have had players and coaches from around the world with a wide range of nationalities and cultures. At no time have any players, coaches or their families said anything but positive comments about the branding or culture that exists at the club." - Not sure how it's relevant given they haven't had 1 American player let alone a native american.

Good post.

Last edited:

Latest posts