• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

For talking rot.

@ratsapprentice

As everyone else said, it's called mardi gras over here. French people would usually take that as a pretext to eat loads of crepes with salted butter caramel, nutella, sugar or whatever accompaniment they prefer.

Thank god I'm on that forum, completely forgot to celebrate fat Tuesday this year. Well I guess Bob my tummy is glad that I didn't remember.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is a very good watch boys. They've done it for Baseball and NFL in the past but the premise is that a GAA player tests themselves in another sport for a week while a figure in that sport does the same in GAA. This time Michael Murphy, a Donegal great went to Clermont, and Shane Williams came to Glenswilly.

Ok so I have to do an English presentation on a topic of my choice tomorrow and I have no idea what to talk about. Rugby is my main interest but I need a way to link it to something to appear more intellectual. Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be rugby related

Ok so I have to do an English presentation on a topic of my choice tomorrow and I have no idea what to talk about. Rugby is my main interest but I need a way to link it to something to appear more intellectual. Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be rugby related

IT HAS TO BE RUGBY RELATED.

Something to do with rugby and its origins in class divisions? Rugby and the ruling elite?

OR

"Rugby is just men wanting to sex each other: discuss"

Maybe talk about why it is okay in your eyes that Exter Cheifs can culturally appropriate Native America history for its own monetary gain, and how it does so without giving anything back to the culture it steals from.

Maybe talk about why it is okay in your eyes that Exter Cheifs can culturally appropriate Native America history for its own monetary gain, and how it does so without giving anything back to the culture it steals from.

Oi I don't see Tigers donating to the WWF.

Why would it? It is worth millions.

Also it is known as WWE now.

I can see the confusion here, both provide money to aid hairy beasts who struggle to communicate with humans and resort to using violence when frustrated.

The conversation regarding animal rights/preservation did persuade me to go for "Should Sea World be allowed to continue to own killer whales?" Watched Blackfish so was fresh in the memory and frankly couldn't think of anything else.

@TobyBeastTeague

I read a text two weeks ago, on "Le Rugbynistère", comparing rugby to a game of chess. It seemed pretty relevant and poetic

L'un propose à 30 gaillards de courir sur un terrain boueux en se passant vers l'arrière un ballon d'une forme étrange. L'autre propose à 2 maigrichons d'envoyer leurs neurones s'affronter avec vaillance en poussant de petits bouts de bois. Le rugby, les échecs, deux sports (oui, les échecs sont bel et bien considérés comme un sport !) que tout oppose, à première vue… Pourtant, notre cher pré verdoyant est l'échiquier sur lequel deux équipes s'affrontent.

Aux échecs, les blancs ont l'avantage de commencer. En rugby, l'équipe qui joue chez elle a la plupart du temps, un supplément d'âme.

Les avants sont les pions, solides défenseurs, accomplissant les tâches dans l'ombre. « Les pions sont l'âme des échecs » disait Philidor, un illustre champion d'échecs français, soulignant le fait qu'une victoire ne peut être assurée sans eux. Et chacun sait que dans le domaine rugbystique, un match est difficilement remporté sans un solide paquet d'avants. Il ne paraît donc pas illogique de dire que « les avants sont l'âme du rugby » ! Aux échecs, un pion ne recule jamais. Allez demander à un avant s'il recule…

L'ouvreur est la Dame, leader, présent sur les points importants, il anime le jeu et cherche la faille.

Les ailiers sont les Tours, les finisseurs. Sur le plateau d'échecs, ils cherchent les colonnes ouvertes pour s'immiscer dans la position adverse. Sur un terrain, ils cherchent également les intervalles. Tout comme leurs homologues d'ébène, ils savent se faire oublier pour surgir au moment opportun.

Les centres, l'arrière et le demi de mêlée sont les pièces mineures, Fous et Cavaliers. Le 9 représente la pièce active fonçant vers l'ennemi et guidant ses coéquipiers. L'arrière est la pièce défensive, utile pour bloquer un pion adverse trop avancé, c'est le plaquage du dernier défenseur. Les centres vont et viennent sur l'échiquier verdoyant et savent assurer les deux rôles.

Self-made translation:

"One of those two games sees 30 big guys running around on a muddy field, passing a strange looking ball to each other. The other one is about two skinny lads who send their neurons to fight by pushing small wooden pieces on a board. At first sight, rugby and chess are sports (however strange it might seem, chess is a sport indeed) that seemingly share no resemblance whatsoever...
But our green field is the chessboard on which two teams face each other.

In chess, white gets the advantage to kick off. In rugby, the team that plays at home often gets some extra strength (from the cheering crowd?).

Forwards are chess' pawns, strong (but slow) defenders who accomplish dirty jobs. "Pawns are the soul of chess", used to say Philidor, a glorious chess master, insisting on the fact that a game cannot be won without them. It is also well known in rugby that a match cannot be easily won without a strong pack. Therefore, it doesn't seem unreasonable to say that "forwards are the soul of rugby"! In chess, a pawn never retreats. Go ask a forward if he steps back....

The 1st five eighth is the Queen - not because he looks gay - but because he is a true leader, makes an impact on important plays. He organizes the game and constantly looks for a flaw (in the opposition defence).

Wingers are chess' rooks, they're finishers. On a chessboard, they are on the lookout for open spaces, deep and empty rows they can invade. On a rugby field, wingers also try to find gaps in the defence. Just like their wooden counterparts, they know how to remain quiet and strike at the right moment.

Centers, the fullback and the half back are minor pieces, bishops and knights. The number 9 is the lively and chipper piece that bolts towards the enemy, guiding his teammates. The fullback is the ultimate defensive asset, useful to capture any pawn that went too far; He is the last defender. Centers move about on the green board et know how to attack and defend."

Why don't we play League? Largely because we're richer than you plebs per capita, and when you dirt plebs decide to 'Brexit' being a part of the developed world in the 40 years it will take you to execute a democratic decision everyone who was smart enough to wish up a granny from Mayo in time to get an Irish passport in time will probably want to forget all about the orange tinted Mad Max looking hellscape you call 'Teh Norffin' part of your country.
#affluence

Last edited:
Why don't we play League? Largely because we're richer than you plebs per capita, and when you dirt plebs decide to 'Brexit' being a part of the developed world in the 40 years it will take you to execute a democratic decision everyone who was smart enough to wish up a granny from Mayo in time to get an Irish passport in time will probably want to forget all about the orange tinted Mad Max looking hellscape you call 'Teh Norffin' part of your country.
#affluence

Lol
very good.

Looks at pro 12 forum, sees no match thread stickied since round 4, demands @TRF_Peat 's job!

- - - Updated - - -

Do you want to be Vader or Sideous when we sort this out?

Sideous I have a good vision for this forum.

Groundhog can be Kylo Ren.

(Mods I'm being serious here Mod me or I shall led a revolt, Leicester are a historic club and deserve a mod!)

Don't play the Star Wars Game against the men who constantly tag each other part stupid star wars ****posts and are a part of the Star Wars Sithposting page.

Latest posts