• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

HB STUDIOS Q&A vol. 3

It still shocks and disappoints me when I realise how little funding these games have when they clearly have a good potential to sell. By the sounds of it the developers are concentrating solely on the graphics. But what use is this if the gameplay is dated and unrealistic? The passing/tackling/kicking etc etc. were all very 'robotic' in the previous releases. Im sure i'm not alone when i say i would like a rugby game that actually feels like your playing a game of rugby. Like Madden is a good representation of American football and FIFA is a good representation of football. It is simply a funding issue that restricts these games so badly. Maybe i'm being pessimistic but I can't see these games suddenly attracting loads of attention in the form of investors and becoming the game we all want it to be. Until developers start taking rugby seriously as a sport and investing the money it so desperately needs, i doubt it will ever be as great as Madden or FIFA are.

London-Wasps-logo.jpg

Yeah, i agree about the gameplay... But for the game to be taken seriously it has to be on par visually with the likes of the Fifa, Madden and the 2K series.

its been a long while since I posted on trf, but still tracking the dev on this game and Rugby Challenge each day... waiting, waiting, waiting

...anyways, updating the previous installments is not ideal by anyones expectations for a new rugby game, we all want the bells & whistles, current jerseys & squads etc, but the previous builds of the game are a good base to build off. As others have said, we don't have any alternatives on the current gen consoles, bar pulling out the old PS2's and Xbox's (which I also still do!)

yeah, the previous ***les were very limited and one-sided once you got to grips with the controls (at speed) and how the AI defence always setup and tracked the ball - but what I believe is imperative for a current gen version is stable, consistent, no-lag online play.
if they can implement a smooth online experience but with past version gameplay I would be more than happy, we can setup our own leagues and competitions through trf and make people the opposition and never worry about easy, dog-legged AI defence and imagination-void attack.

I live in the back end of N. Ireland so I've never had the experience of playing against a real-life, leaving and breathing human (let alone one that was interested, nevermind competent at any of the previous EA Rugby games)... I can only imagine what it might be like to play another team that actually wanted to beat me

smooth online experience is paramount

(EDIT: just re-read my first line an then checked my post count over to the left there... I've been away that long that the forum has no memory of me (bar the 9 unreadable, archived PM's that I have!))

Last edited:
It still shocks and disappoints me when I realise how little funding these games have when they clearly have a good potential to sell. By the sounds of it the developers are concentrating solely on the graphics. But what use is this if the gameplay is dated and unrealistic? The passing/tackling/kicking etc etc. were all very 'robotic' in the previous releases. Im sure i'm not alone when i say i would like a rugby game that actually feels like your playing a game of rugby. Like Madden is a good representation of American football and FIFA is a good representation of football. It is simply a funding issue that restricts these games so badly. Maybe i'm being pessimistic but I can't see these games suddenly attracting loads of attention in the form of investors and becoming the game we all want it to be. Until developers start taking rugby seriously as a sport and investing the money it so desperately needs, i doubt it will ever be as great as Madden or FIFA are.

London-Wasps-logo.jpg

Developers aren't the ones with the money though, its the publishers like EA and Activision. Back in the Rugby 05-08 era EA were reluctant to much money forwards at all as they thought they wouldn't see a return. Its a bit of a catch 22. Don't put the money forwards and the game doesn't improve so nobody wants to buy the newer version at full price. HB and Sidhe are both small developers, if either sell really well, I expect someone like EA to come knocking at the door.

Personally, it doesn't bother me that there will be no 'Manager Mode' in the new rugby game. I have waited a long time for the next generation rugby game and finally, it is on the way. To be able to play a rugby game on the PS3 is enough for me. The main features for me include: gameplay, correct names, accurate rosters and accurate ratings. Thanks HB Studios. Can't wait.

I agree I can't wait for a PS3 rugby game, it will be better than the rugby challenge game which is being done by a NZ company (Rugby league live was the worst game to hit PS3). All I ask for is that its better than Rugby 08.

Rugby 08 is underrated. I think it plays a pretty smooth game, and has plenty to keep one playing. I still go back to it, and even though I'm brilliant at it, it's still a reasonable challenge if you handicap yourself with a weak side and try to duff up the All Blacks. It's still rewarding when a set piece comes off and you sidestep the last man; which I frequently do, because like I said, I'm brilliant at it.

I think it's easy to throw a load of suggestions around for changing the gameplay mechanics, but like some people have mentioned, they have a pretty solid base, which would only need minor tweaks to impress me: and I am hard to impress. Consider how tricky it must be to make a Rugby video game that satisfies all the pedants and fan boys, and is still actually fun. F**king tricky I bet. It's a chaotic game that doesn't lend itself to being a video game, in any way whatsoever, and most likely wouldn't a banker for developers/publishers even if they got it spot on anyway, because we who desire such a thing are but few in number - at least compared to the armies baying for the next FIFA/Madden/PES.

That being said - it seems, to me, from the noises coming from HB, that they may well end up releasing a game which disappoints. It's baffling to me that they are unable to develop sevens. The number of men on screen must be one of the trickiest issues, so why they can't just strip away 60% of them and use the same game engine - possibly with the addition of a stingy stamina quota, and drunk Kiwis in amusing outfits dancing in the crowd - is beyond me. And things aren't often beyond me, because I'm great.

I agree I can't wait for a PS3 rugby game, it will be better than the rugby challenge game which is being done by a NZ company (Rugby league live was the worst game to hit PS3). All I ask for is that its better than Rugby 08.

Rugby League Live was made by Big Ant, an Australian company.

Ill sure be buying BOTH rugby games come release time....true fans of Rugby need to unite and let these big wigs like EA our community is WORTHY of the investment in future rugby videogames.

Rugby 08 is underrated. I think it plays a pretty smooth game, and has plenty to keep one playing. I still go back to it, and even though I'm brilliant at it, it's still a reasonable challenge if you handicap yourself with a weak side and try to duff up the All Blacks. It's still rewarding when a set piece comes off and you sidestep the last man; which I frequently do, because like I said, I'm brilliant at it.

I think it's easy to throw a load of suggestions around for changing the gameplay mechanics, but like some people have mentioned, they have a pretty solid base, which would only need minor tweaks to impress me: and I am hard to impress. Consider how tricky it must be to make a Rugby video game that satisfies all the pedants and fan boys, and is still actually fun. F**king tricky I bet. It's a chaotic game that doesn't lend itself to being a video game, in any way whatsoever, and most likely wouldn't a banker for developers/publishers even if they got it spot on anyway, because we who desire such a thing are but few in number - at least compared to the armies baying for the next FIFA/Madden/PES.

That being said - it seems, to me, from the noises coming from HB, that they may well end up releasing a game which disappoints. It's baffling to me that they are unable to develop sevens. The number of men on screen must be one of the trickiest issues, so why they can't just strip away 60% of them and use the same game engine - possibly with the addition of a stingy stamina quota, and drunk Kiwis in amusing outfits dancing in the crowd - is beyond me. And things aren't often beyond me, because I'm great.

I think the idea that they can't develop a 7's mode within the time they have to create rugby 2012 is perfectly reasonable. Whilst both of the sports are rugby, the situations which arise throughout a match a extremely different. The way players think and react to any given situation are so unalike, dropping back after passing, avoiding contact, the types of passing and offloading, the set pieces - it would be a different game altogether, not to mention that they would have to completely reprogram how the AI thought with ball in hand / in defense... I think in reality it is asking a bit much. When you look at all the differences, I think it's easier to see that it is much harder than removing half the players from the pitch and programming a partying crowd into the background.

What I'm hoping for most is a more realistic and dynamic feel to the game, where players need to accelerate and slow down to turn, and where you can stand up a player in a much more open ended way, not just initiate the sidestep animation sequence 5 yards before the last man... Dying to see a trailer.

Rugby08 is just a patched up version of Rugby06 a real insult to us hardcore rugby gamers.Im loving what im hearing from Sidhe about there Rugby Challenge game.

KingHolmKid, tell us all why you are so great? Because you can play ps nonstop for 10 hours...none of us care how great you are ok?!

He's mostly right actually - I don't disagree. Sports games are nearly always 'patched up' versions of the previous version. Calling it an insult to hardcore gamers is hyperbole, but there's some truth in there somewhere - people who play football games seem to be happy enough with forking out year after year for minor gameplay tweaks and updated squads and stats - if they weren't, it wouldn't be profitable and the developers wouldn't be doing it. It's an interesting thought that this might be changing rapidly though, as users have much more power to patch and modify comestic aspects of the game - perhaps this is starting to put much more pressure on companies to overhaul game engines, where they aren't setting the bar high enough.
My original point still stands though - despite 08 representing almost nothing of a step forward from 06 - I personally felt that, given the difficulties that must exist producing a rugby game, demonstrated by nearly every one that has been released - they actually ticked a few boxes.
Sebe, I'll make your day with a slight U-turn. You're probably right. Sevens is played in a different way, and adding it at the expense of putting man-hours into getting the XVs right at this stage would be a mistake.
Has anyone has a fudge brownie Frijj? They are delish.

wil ther be a max of players in squads on RUGBY 2012? and if not how many in a squad

FINALLY. Someone asked that quesion. I'm desperate to know how many players there will be in a squad, it's been keeping me awake.

more info please?? It's been over a month and a half since the last interview...some progress has to be made!

I'd just like to say about being no Manager Mode, do you think they could be tricking us. I mean they may be clever and say no MM but there may be an updated version of World League, which will be pretty much MM. This could make us appreciate the game more, but in saying that it would effect sales as people may want a MM. Anyway if you think i'm completely wrong tell me, I mean it's forum right!

Latest posts