• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Impresions about Argentina-Scotland Match?

M

Mario02

Hi, i started this topic because i want to know what people know about this hard match.
Argentina gave me a bad impression, i wanted more from them. they were too tired fisically and mentally, and at the end scotland deserved the win. The only one i saw that was in form was JM Hernandez. Contempomi was not accurate and pichot didnt appeared.
Wait for your opinions.

When they got for the first time, with posession, into our 22? I think we had the game under control for most of the time. Also I guess you saw their try ... and Felipe Contepomi only failed the first penalty attempt. Pichot made a terrible mistake in the end that could cost us the game. The forwards were OK, not great, and the scrum improved with Hasan. Line-outs were pretty good in comparision with other games.

The mantle of favourites does not sit well with Argentina. I wonder if the exertions over the past month have taken their tole. There are only so many times a team can gee themselves up for a massive game, before they become mentally exhausted.

I hope they can recover in time for the Boks, cause on form, they can definately win.

Saying that, it was a match you were always going to win, but you made it hard for yourselves.

The mantle of favourites does not sit well with Argentina. I wonder if the exertions over the past month have taken their tole. There are only so many times a team can gee themselves up for a massive game, before they become mentally exhausted.[/b]

That's true and if los Pumas can recover on time I think they will be in a better, or at least most comfortable for the players, position than against Scotland.

That's true and if los Pumas can recover on time I think they will be in a better, or at least most comfortable for the players, position than against Scotland. [/b]
I hope so. I would hate to see your guys finish on a flat note. Even with the history between Argentinian and Irish rugby, we still want you guys to keep doing well.

Pichot said they got tired, which is understandable.

But the Pumas should have put tries on the board - then they wouldn't have been biting their nails in the last ten minutes.

I think they need to trust their attacking backs more. Conti is up against Steyn in a few days - surely he's got the talent and experience to cause some red faces in the SA midfield? And if Argentina surpirse SA with their tactics and take an early lead, who's going to bet against the defence holding out?

I'd be suprised if Arg win with their current tactics. It would be a gamble to cut out the up-and-under - but it could pay off!

The main impression I got from Scotland-Argentina was that that neither side played as best they could and that Scotland lost because they were the side which underperformed the most.

The first hour of Scottish play really wasn't up to scratch, with many handling errors and penalties conceded. It was an error by Dan Parks that led to Argentina's try while missed kicks and catches cost us territory and allowed the Pumas to dominate. In the last twenty minutes Scotland actually started to play some decent rugby and in the final ten it looked like they were going to win it, but it was not to be.

By the end Argentina looked exhausted and their discipline started to fade, with the Scots, through the virtue for six fresh substitutes, beginning to take control of the match. At the end we were piling the pressure on and if we had kept rucking and running at the Pumas line I am certain we would have got over, but once again Dan Parks punted it into nowhere and ended the attack and with it, our chances.

Argentina didn't play as well as they can, they were decent enough on Sunday, but they have the potential to be a superb side. We saw glimers of that during the match, primarily from Felipe Contepomi, Juan Martin Hernandez and Gonzalo Longo. Their defence too looked impenetrable for much of the game and only Craig Smith showed any ability in being able to break through after he came on.

Scotland has a lot of great young players, some of whom I am sure will be world class someday, but tactically Scotland are a weak side and need to improve their game plan.

If Argentina can get back on form for their next match, they have a solid chance at beating South Africa, but they will need to up their game. Regardless, I am looking forward to that semi-final!

Hi, i started this topic because i want to know what people know about this hard match.
Argentina gave me a bad impression, i wanted more from them. they were too tired fisically and mentally, and at the end scotland deserved the win. The only one i saw that was in form was JM Hernandez. Contempomi was not accurate and pichot didnt appeared.
Wait for your opinions.
[/b]

I thought Argentina were magnificent in what they did. The amount of turnover ball they won was amazing. It must have been very disheartening for the Scots to go into a ruck with the ball only to see it come out on the Argentina side time and time again.

However ... There wasn't much variety to the Argentina game. It reminded me of the way England play - very solid in the forwards but the backs rarely given the chance to shine. Very effective but limited.

I wish Argentina well in the semi-final but I think they will have to add more to their game to defeat South Africa.

On a broader note, there has been some talk about Argentina joining the Six Nations and playing their home games in Spain or somewhere else in Europe. This would be marvellous for the Six Nations but maybe very frustrating for Argentina's home supporters who may rarely get to see their side play on home soil.

On that, you would assume a France vs. South Africa?

And I do agree with the backs statement. England nor Argentina really had any fire in that back line. You could really expose something like that, Argentina have to push their game to a higher level if they want to stand a chance against SA.

i think this match was a more tactical match between two teams who didn't wanted to loose... and Argentina made the difference

i think this match was a more tactical match between two teams who didn't wanted to loose... and Argentina made the difference [/b]

You're right. Scotland didn't have the guts to really go for it. Argentina were already focusing on semis

On that, you would assume a France vs. South Africa?
[/b]

On balance, yes, I reckon it will be. But there is much more to the England v France match than just strategy. These two are old foes and the mental battle will be huge.

On their day, the French are magnificent and can beat anybody. England must make sure it isn't a French day. English gind must frustrate French flair .

I'm sure we would prefer a Boks v Blues final than an England v Argentina ***anic forward grunt.

I was scared after the match. I think Argentina did not play at all well and Scotland did not beat by only a couple of meters.

If we do not improve very much, then SA will have no trouble winning. Hopefully the team will recover for Sunday, but as someone mentioned, they may be mentally spent.