Ireland Under-20 Squad Announced For Junior World Championship

Discussion in 'International Test Matches' started by snoopy snoopy dog dog, May 14, 2009.

1. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    Provincial breakdown:

Exiles - 2

Leinster - 13

Munster - 6

Ulster - 5

Murray (a scrumhalf who can also play flyhalf) and Burke (a 10) both made the Munster 22 man squad last week with the latter making his debut. Eamonn Sheridan is a massive centre who appeared in an extended Leinster squad a couple of weeks ago. McKinley was on the bench for Leinster against Edinburgh and looks likely to start at flyhalf against the Dragons on Saturday. He was also play in the centre. Madigan (fullback/flyhalf) and Kearney (back three) are also likely to play for Leinster in a couple of days time.

One player who has been parachuted into the squad who could be worth watching is Nevin Spence. He's been in scintillating form for quadruple trophy winners Ballynahinch this season and stands a good chance of making the 13 shirt his own in Japan.

It'll be interesting to see who performs well in the World Cup. The best players in the 6 Nations were Madigan and the backrow trio of O'Mahony, Ryan and Rhys Ruddock. In my opinion the most talented players in the group are the two 10s, Burke and McKinley.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Gavin

Gavin Guest

Looks like a strong squad. I played against Adam Macklin at school level. He was bloody huge then and has gotten even bigger. While playing junior rugby, he also played for the senior side. Interesting to see how he gets on. Could see Ireland doing quite well if they are in the right frame of mind.
    Is the championship going to be on tv? Or just highlights?

4. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ May 14 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Setanta showed the last few tournaments so I suspect they'll show this one too. IRB.com might stream the games also.

Macklin is a terrific prospect. I know that Methody played him at no.8 a huge amount to capitalize on his ball carrying skills. That has played a significant part in his scrummaging not being up to scratch yet. With good coaching he can become a quality scrummager given his massive frame and his strength. It might take 2 or 3 years for him to play for Ulster (he needs to work on his weaknesses a bit first) but once he makes the breakthrough, he'll be a hell of a player - a Cian Healy clone on the tighthead side of the scrum. Hopefully he won't become a wasted talent like Tony Buckley.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!