• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland vs France - 20/08/2011 - RWC Warm Up

I didnt think D'Arcy did that badly today , I think he was better in defense and ball in hand imo he played as well as if not better than Drico

If someone had just seen the first 20 minutes of the game and the final score someone might think that Ireland had put in a great performance but were just pipped somehow by France. In truth Ireland were pretty brutal for much of that match and France didn't look too hot either. The scoreline flattered us- a lot.

Healy was pretty good while he was on and did well for the try. Thought Best was decent and the line out was a positive, while the scrum was pretty good. O'Brien was Ireland's best forward today, with O'Connell a close second. Jennings wasn't great and Heaslip was solid. Thought we were out muscled by the French overall though.

TOL was shocking and an embarrassment. Shouldn't be allowed in to even watch an Ireland match. If he is still first choice after this there is something very wrong with the management. Reddan is a pretty average scrum half and wasn't great when he came on, but was still a significant step up from TOL.
I didn't think Sexton was too bad but he needed to mix it up a bit more. The centres were pretty awful, especially D'Arcy who seemed to just crab accross the pitch with the ball.

Earls was pretty awful too and I have trouble remembering a positive contribution he made. Jones didnt set the world alight from fullback today and I hope his injury isn't too serious. Trimble was the shining light in the backline for me and the best player in green on the day. Looked good on the ball and constantly made yards.

What is Gaffney doing? The backline was so pedestrian it was unbelievable as they just shovelled the ball wide with no spark or imagination.

Court was ok when he came on and I think Healy may not be too badly hurt? Good to see Ferris get a run and made a positive impact when he came on. Flannery wasn't too bad from what I remember. Fitz looked quite lively when he came on and did well for the try. Don't really remember ROG doing anything much better or worse than Sexton had, though the late centre partnership was interesting and there was a bit more variety.

A strange game where Ireland looked to be living up to their potential, running the ball from deep, making yards, having decent set pieces and scoring points, followed by a nosedive, where France beat us comfortably really, while not really playing their best. Very disappointing and there'll be significant pressure to get a result next week.

Not even going to comment on this thread much anymore just simply:
- Connor Murray has again proved to be our best 9 and he didn't even have to play. Surely he must go to New Zealand.
- Some players are playing themselves out of contention. Keith Earls being one I think who has to be singled out.
- Shane Jennings is a very good club player but will never click in green it seems.

Not even going to comment on this thread much anymore just simply:
- Connor Murray has again proved to be our best 9 and he didn't even have to play. Surely he must go to New Zealand.
- Some players are playing themselves out of contention. Keith Earls being one I think who has to be singled out.
- Shane Jennings is a very good club player but will never click in green it seems.

Earls had a bad game sure. I wouldn't say he's played himself out of contention though. If that's the case who would get the 22 jersey? Regarding the back three as a whole, I'm happy enough that Robnoxious Kearndashian has managed to pick up his game and looks to be the fullback of old. From a position of weakness during the 6 Nations, the fullback spot is now a relative strength, especially if Felix Jones is okay. Bowe has the 14 jersey nailed down without having played a game. Our best back, getting him as much of the ball as possible is vital. Andrew Trimble has proven me wrong over the past few weeks with a few excellent displays. While I still have doubts about his hands, he is an quality strike runner and an adequate defender - he made a lovely high take today. Should have made the 11 jersey his own by now. That leaves a shoot-out between Keith Earls, Luke Fitzgerald and Fergus McFadden for the subs jersey. Earls is a good winger (who admittedly had a stinker today), a poor centre and a decent full back. Fitzgerald is a good winger, a poor fullback and a decent centre. McFadden is a decent centre and a decent winger. I dunno who I'd have tbh, though Fitzgerald looked good today. Doesn't really matter until the OZ game so there's still lots of time to settle it.

Not even going to comment on this thread much anymore just simply:- Connor Murray has again proved to be our best 9 and he didn't even have to play. Surely he must go to New Zealand.- Some players are playing themselves out of contention. Keith Earls being one I think who has to be singled out.- Shane Jennings is a very good club player but will never click in green it seems.
If dk wasn't the most bias Munster man ever Jenno would be great. Didn't give him game time at all. All what Wally can do is run forward, used to be great is not so good any more. Jenno slows down the game when the opposition have the ball come ruck time which severely ****** the opposition off. This would be great against the Ozs cus their backs depend on quick ball and without quick ball or ball in broken play they're useless. Jenno can offload while wally can't. DK is destroying this team.

I'd have higher hopes for O'Malley at 13 than Bowe. A nice step and a good burst of pace. Potential there. Bowe is a world class winger, I'd leave him there.

12 is the real problem position and at the moment there aren't any stand out contenders, for the world cup or after. I'm very worried about the position.

It'll be fine.

youngskywalker.jpg

This man is going to fill it.

(or maybe Hanrahan).

You are entirely right though that Spence is not a 12 and still a work in progress. Although it would have been interesting to see how he'd have gone if he'd been fit and called into the training squad, he's a brutal boy and put in some fine HC shifts at 13.

France not that expectional, Ireland so that bad...

Can't explain how a such experienced team can play like if it was the first time together. Bad/missed passes everywhere, every time, and individually bad choice in the options each time there was any.
As I wrote, Lievremont's decision was made before the match (Domingo and Marconnet out), and every played the last 30min with in mind just not to hurt himself.

Out of curiosity, has anyone found footage of the Trinh-Duc drop goal? I've heard it was pretty enormous but only been able to find try highlights of the game so far...

This was an interesting game, shows Francs have enormous depth to their squad.

Trinh-Duc is the only decent fly half we have, it's not a secret.
His drop shows he has also a good feet, and even if he's not on a Carter level, he can use his kicks.

He's is now more talentuous on carrying the ball, and is very sharp from an opposite open game. Wouldn't be surprise he could surprise NZ this way.

Earls had a bad game sure. I wouldn't say he's played himself out of contention though. If that's the case who would get the 22 jersey? Regarding the back three as a whole, I'm happy enough that Robnoxious Kearndashian has managed to pick up his game and looks to be the fullback of old. From a position of weakness during the 6 Nations, the fullback spot is now a relative strength, especially if Felix Jones is okay. Bowe has the 14 jersey nailed down without having played a game. Our best back, getting him as much of the ball as possible is vital. Andrew Trimble has proven me wrong over the past few weeks with a few excellent displays. While I still have doubts about his hands, he is an quality strike runner and an adequate defender - he made a lovely high take today. Should have made the 11 jersey his own by now. That leaves a shoot-out between Keith Earls, Luke Fitzgerald and Fergus McFadden for the subs jersey. Earls is a good winger (who admittedly had a stinker today), a poor centre and a decent full back. Fitzgerald is a good winger, a poor fullback and a decent centre. McFadden is a decent centre and a decent winger. I dunno who I'd have tbh, though Fitzgerald looked good today. Doesn't really matter until the OZ game so there's still lots of time to settle it.
Agreed with that but with Trimble's form (and it known I not his biggest fan) it hard to exclude him.
Felix will be fit for world cup as I think it will be an injury that is probably 3-4 weeks recovery if it what is expected.

Also apparently the lads are being told at 2pm who is in and who is packing bags.

France not that expectional, Ireland so that bad...

Can't explain how a such experienced team can play like if it was the first time together. Bad/missed passes everywhere, every time, and individually bad choice in the options each time there was any.
As I wrote, Lievremont's decision was made before the match (Domingo and Marconnet out), and every played the last 30min with in mind just not to hurt himself.

Because it is like it's their first time together. I'll keep going on about it. Ireland has 4 club teams - total. Of those Ulster have drifted away from form and Cannaught are still amateurish. The team is polarized by Leinster and Munster, and they are used to playing AGAINST each other, regularly. Kidney needs to accept reality and go with a Munster dominated first 15 (not bad - Magners league champions, very consistent) with Leinster, Ulster, (and Connaught) reserves OR
A Leinster dominated first 15 (Leinster - need more be said?) with Munster, Ulster, (and Connaught) reserves.
That's how I see it, and I know I'm not the only one.
Both of these teams have primarily home-grown players, excluding players like Nacewa, they cope pretty well even without him, though less potent of course. If any team should go primarily with one club, it's Ireland imo.

It was hardly the teams first time together - front row was 2x Leinster props who play week in week out
Second row was a well established unit
Same with backrow
Halfbacks have played together a bit in the past
Centres are the most established centre partnership going
Wings and Fullback are the only ones that are really a new thing, but they didn't look out of sorts as a unit, it was personal performances that made them stand out (Trimbles good and Earls' bad)

Aye, I dunno how you can peddle that stuff about them not having been together enough. A poor excuse in my mind. The backs aren't firing under Alan Gaffney, which is no surprise to anyone who's seen the change in Leinster's back play since we got rid of him. I think Gert Smal needs to sort out what he's doing with the forwards as well. There isn't anywhere near enough intensity at the break down. It's not like the tools aren't there for him either.

Hey its simple if you don't play with a test match head you are not going to win ANY test match. Ireland made to many poor decisions and mistakes and were no where near the intensity I expect with the exception of a few select players.

Hey its simple if you don't play with a test match head you are not going to win ANY test match. Ireland made to many poor decisions and mistakes and were no where near the intensity I expect with the exception of a few select players.
and..let's face it, France were just better. If we play them again, we'll need luck as well as a better performance!

Few updates I have at moment
- Donnacha Ryan supposedly confirmed as going
- McFadden lost out (Not 100% certain)
- John Hayes is 100% travelling to NZ but can't confirm if it as cover or he made the 30

Ugh. I'd have McFadden ahead of FitzGerald and Earls because he plays well at both centre and wing but he was never going Kidney doesn't rate him, big mistake IMO.
Ryan goin is fine it means Leinster will get McLoughlan.
I hope Hayes is in the squad instead of Buckles.

Have been told this but not from a reliable source too but 3 Scrum-halves going are O'Leary, Reddan and Boss. AGAIN NOT A 100% RELIABLE SOURCE

But if true Kidney is taking the P*ss as Murray is the only 9 with form.

McLaughlin blew his chance on Thursday and was 1 of worst players on field,
Niall Ronan I can confirm is on a shortlist to travel as a back-up too.

Latest posts