• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leicester Tigers Thread

Another key injury, Genge out. Rizzo recalled. Owen out too.

Tuilagi and Toomua remain out.

May and Hamilton should be back for Munster.

"Ultimately, the buck stops with the Head Coach. Many of Leicester's problems seem to stem from a lack of leadership at the top level. O'Connor cuts a more distant figure than most Premiership Head Coaches. O'Connor chops and changes too much, particularly in the back row. He has failed to instil a clear style of play and get the best out of the talented squad thus far. His future must be questioned for fear of further deterioration."

I mean no it doesn't the buck stops at Cohen and Glynn both are in charge of recruiting. But this guy prob has no clue who they are because he did **** all research.

Leicester are not clinical enough
and
Failure to convert opportunities into tries

Are the same Cat.

"He has failed to instil a clear style of play and get the best out of the talented squad thus far"
Didn't the same writer say that Tigers lacked grunt, Locks and leadership? so it isn't a that talented squad, talented front row and backs yes.

"It was an odd appointment at the time; after Richard Cockerill was fired, Aaron Mauger took the reins and was relatively impressive, winning the Anglo-Welsh Cup. Mauger was replaced in March of last year after just three months in charge, beating rivals Northampton in his final game. Peculiarly, it is understood that O'Connor contacted the club's board to offer his services rather than vice versa."

"Geordan Murphy and Brett Deacon have been involved for several season in back room roles, taking charge in the Anglo-Welsh Cup."

So who was in charge of the AWC team mauger or Murphy and Deacs....

Also Mauger was the one who depowered the pack FFS.
**** me i hope he didn't get paid for that article.

Here's Tigers problems
Cockers spent the last 3 season replacing quality players with bargain bin players. (Also a cohen/Glynn issue)
Mauger de-powered the pack in an attempt to play attacking super rugby style which doesn't work in the NH winter.
As a results Tigers now have a great backline but the back 5 of a pack that couldn't push a pram over the road let alone push into the opposition gainline.

MOC does have a gameplan and you can see that our backs are more creative than in previous years but he hasn't a clue about the forwards.
Tigers need a top forwards coach and about 6/7 forwards.

MOC as head coach does have a big ? on it but he hardly inherited a top in form squad like the writer thinks.

while the article isn't great it does highlight several issues. Only really read it in passing while working

I think it shows how poorly Leicester have been coached in recent years. Every time I watch them it feels like they have absolutely no independence and simply can't adapt to what is happening and instead keep going through their routines. Ben Youngs seems to be going backwards, and especially doesn't seem to be able to adapt. Last season and the start of this he was being charged down game after game and everyone could see he didn't have anyone protecting him at the ruck. Did he tell players to get in front, nope. The pack is mediocre at best. Genge has potential, but needs to develop consistency, Cole is becoming a penalty machine again and whoever put up Dom Barrows name in the England thread should be ashamed. He can barely catch a ball. The back row has almost no impact at all.
I felt for the last few years that the Tigers scrapping into the play offs flattered them. They seem to scrape wins and lose badly quite often, though strong second halves to seasons generally help. I don't see it this time.

I remember somewhere Tigs saying that large changes were being considered, if so they are needed now before Leicester become a consistent challenge cup side, which is a distinct possibility.

For a great reputable club I hope ye rectify it.
Matt O Connor has been a poor coach a while and a fresh regime au be suited.

I think it shows how poorly Leicester have been coached in recent years. Every time I watch them it feels like they have absolutely no independence and simply can't adapt to what is happening and instead keep going through their routines.
Ahhhh MO'C, how I've not missed you!

Ironically I think Tigers need someone like Cockerill to come in and read them the riot act, slap a few players around get them back to Tigers rugby.

Delighted with this news. Tom is a lovely guy and a gent as is Ben. True rugby lads and I'm sure that was their greatest ever cup final win. Alot more to life than sport.

Blimey, that's something I wasn't expecting to read today. Fantastic news and let's hope it's permanent.

For me while Tigers have brought in replacements to solve problems, they haven't been the biggest issues. Without Genge for me the front 5 is the problem, not the back 3. 2 props signed, Ma'afu, who while experienced is now 33 and so not a complete replacement for Genge at all, Feao, who according to BBC was capped in the summer and most notable former club is Narbonne. Then there is also the ex-Bristol hooker McMillan, who was released by Bristol in the summer. None of these inspire massive confidence and if anything highlight that Leicester didn't sort out replacements for those who left properly and got desperate at the end of the summer. Line out is still a major issue. Based on ESPN stats, 55% success yesterday, which is just atrocious. One of Tom Young's throws nearly went over the Exeter line at one point. 100% scrums is one saving grace.

Then there was the tackling 73% tackle success with 42 tackles missed and 19 clean break by Exeter. The defensive line was all over the place with players not knowing what the person next to them was doing at times, especially Toomua and Tuilagi. The biggest problem though is Leicesters scramble defense. I feel as soon as a team makes a break the other team is going to score.

One way to counter this is to outscore the other team, but I honestly don't see where this is going to come from. Only 2 clean break and 7 offloads all game. But the biggest issue was just watching the attack. It's so one dimensional. Youngs picks the ball up and has 1, maybe 2 players if he's lucky to pass to, so the defence know who target. Often that player is a forward who just runs into the defence usually with a player behind them to try and make ground. This tactic does work, but not when the defence can see it coming and can double up to defend it. It works when the defence aren't sure who will take the ball and 1 player can be targeted. Tuilagi barely used for his strengths which is to punch holes. No disguises or feints to keep the defence guessing. Yes doing the basics can be a viable tactic, but only if you do it well and Leicester aren't doing that.

The worst thing is that all of these issues where there last year and don't look like they've been addressed at all and I don't see them being addressed.

One way to counter this is to outscore the other team, but I honestly don't see where this is going to come from. Only 2 clean break and 7 offloads all game. But the biggest issue was just watching the attack. It's so one dimensional. Youngs picks the ball up and has 1, maybe 2 players if he's lucky to pass to, so the defence know who target. Often that player is a forward who just runs into the defence usually with a player behind them to try and make ground. This tactic does work, but not when the defence can see it coming and can double up to defend it. It works when the defence aren't sure who will take the ball and 1 player can be targeted. Tuilagi barely used for his strengths which is to punch holes. No disguises or feints to keep the defence guessing. Yes doing the basics can be a viable tactic, but only if you do it well and Leicester aren't doing that.

The worst thing is that all of these issues where there last year and don't look like they've been addressed at all and I don't see them being addressed.
This is the exact same problem that afflicted Leinster when Matt O'Connor was coach. No dummy runners to fix defences, everything done slowly and thus being telegraphed by the opposition.

From your post, it appears he's not good at identifying talent. Again, while at Leinster he didn't trust the young talent at his disposal, talent which was the bedrock of a last season's successes, and promoted bang average plodders in their place.

It appears Matt O'Connor hasn't learned lessons from past failures. I wish no ill on the man but he's clearly not a good enough head coach. Leicester should cut their losses and start afresh.

This is the exact same problem that afflicted Leinster when Matt O'Connor was coach. No dummy runners to fix defences, everything done slowly and thus being telegraphed by the opposition.

From your post, it appears he's not good at identifying talent. Again, while at Leinster he didn't trust the young talent at his disposal, talent which was the bedrock of a last season's successes, and promoted bang average plodders in their place.

It appears Matt O'Connor hasn't learned lessons from past failures. I wish no ill on the man but he's clearly not a good enough head coach. Leicester should cut their losses and start afresh.

That is something that might happen sooner rather than later.

Latest posts