Leicester v London Irish

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Leicester.png
LondonIrish.png

Leicester v London Irish</div>

Venue: Twickenham, Sat 16 May, Kickoff - 17:30, Live Sky Sports 3

Leicester make one change to their side for the Guinness Premiership final with veteran prop Julian White replacing the injured Martin Castrogiovanni.

Dan Cole comes onto the bench, as does fit-again lock Louis Deacon, who takes over from Marco Wentzel, while Geordan Murphy continues to captain the side.

London Irish are unchanged from the side that beat Harlequins in the semis.

Lock Nick Kennedy faces a late fitness test though after straining knee ligaments against Quins.

Kennedy has been using a hyperbaric chamber this week in an attempt to be fit to start alongside captain Bob Casey.

If he fails to make it, James Hudson - who scored a try after replacing Kennedy last week - is set to come into the side.

"We've worked hard to create the chance to compete in the final and we're looking forward to a great occasion," said London Irish head coach Toby Booth, whose side are in their first Premiership final.

"Leicester are always there or thereabouts at finals time; however the statistics show that being in a final and winning a final are two completely different things."

The Tigers have been in the last four Premiership finals, but have won only one of those games, beating Gloucester 44-16 in 2007.

"If we perform well, we have a good chance of winning," added Booth.

"Our self-belief over a long season has earned us this opportunity and we intend having no regrets come the final whistle."

Tigers head coach Richard Cockerill has opted to retain a midfield trio of Sam Vesty, Dan Hipkiss and Ayoola Erinle, even though fit-again All Black Aaron Mauger was pushing for a recall.

"The guys have come through some intense games in very good shape and we have kept changes to a minimum," said Cockerill.

"You have to keep improving week to week but Irish are a good side. Now we are into a final, we know we have to show our best form."

Leicester: G Murphy (capt); Hamilton, Erinle, Hipkiss, J Murphy; Vesty, Dupuy; Ayerza, Chuter, White, Croft, Kay, Newby, Woods, Crane.
Replacements: Kayser, Cole, Deacon, Moody, Ellis, Smith, Varndell.

London Irish: Hewat; Thompstone, D Armitage, Mapusua, Tagicakibau; Catt, Hodgson; Dermody, Coetzee, Skuse, Kennedy, Casey (capt), Danaher, S Armitage, Hala'ufia.
Replacements: Corbisero, Buckland, Hudson, Thorpe, Seveali'i, Richards, Homer.

Referee: Wayne Barnes (England).

BBC Sport

Tigs for me.

Because I've developed a real dislike for Toby Booth while Irish are becoming the new Wasps. And Tigs have already won the league.

I shall be in the 'official' London Irish pub watching this one. That, and my intense aversion to anything Leicester related, means I have to side with them. Although they definitely start as underdogs.

I'll be cheering for the more Irish team. Come on you Murphy's!

Either way though, an Irishman will be lifting the cup B)

Well stone me, there is an Irishman in the United Nations of Reading... Wonders never cease...

Kennedy has failed his fitness test so as expected Hudson comes into the starting lineup.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ May 16 2009, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Kennedy has failed his fitness test so as expected Hudson comes into the starting lineup.[/b]
Hard blow for them.

I like the way the paddies are playing, there is some class in the backline. But Leicester is on fire, I don't see them losing that one... but if you are superstitious, Benjamin Kayser already played two finals in 2005 with Stade Français and he lost it all.  :rolleyes:

Can't see past Leicester winning. Irish were pretty rubbish against Quins in fairness, failing to convert many opportunities.

More of a question of Leicester by how much in fairness, though still think they'll come a cropper against Leinster next week.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ May 16 2009, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Can't see past Leicester winning. Irish were pretty rubbish against Quins in fairness, failing to convert many opportunities.

More of a question of Leicester by how much in fairness, though still think they'll come a cropper against Leinster next week.[/b]

You thought that of Cardiff also, whatwhat?

23 seconds in an Hewitt reverts to classic London Irish tactics... go for the Drop goal.

0-3

not a bad start for Irish, shite kick from Vesty but they'll need all the points they can get if their goalkicking is anything like last week.

Pen miss from Armatidge.

Poor call from Barnes keeps the ball at Leicesters end (the ball definately WAS still moving).

Very even contest so far, drop goal aside.

FIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHT
FIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHT

Latest posts