• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions Squad

<div class='quotemain'>All Lee Byrne has done is score! Pretty much it! Hes defenseivly weak![/b]

What? He hasn't missed a tackle (nailed burgamasco after the Marcato break) or dropped a ball thus far. His positioning has been very good and he's been the best out of hand kicker in the 6 nations. I don't understand your comment atall.
[/b][/quote]

Italy game was the only good game Byrne actually had defensively! He aint been great for the Ospreys at times this season!

01 Sheridan
02 Ford *
03 Vickery *
04 O'Callaghan
05 Hines *
06 White
07 Williams *
08 Jones

09 Wigglesworth (I don't care what anyone thinks, he's class after that one game)
10 Hook *
11 Williams
12 Flood *
13 O'Driscoll
14 Sackey *
15 ??????????

Probably looks like a joke, but even if I named anyone else, the team would still look rather poor. *'s are selected as a last resort ie. no one else I can think of. Fullback is a mystery to me.
[/b]

Looks better than quite a few i would say, as you arent particularly biased towards any country.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>All Lee Byrne has done is score! Pretty much it! Hes defenseivly weak![/b]

What? He hasn't missed a tackle (nailed burgamasco after the Marcato break) or dropped a ball thus far. His positioning has been very good and he's been the best out of hand kicker in the 6 nations. I don't understand your comment atall.
[/b][/quote]

Italy game was the only good game Byrne actually had defensively! He aint been great for the Ospreys at times this season!
[/b][/quote]

He's not bad, but theres an element of luck about his tries in that they were just run ins from 5 yards. Also he gives me the impression of trying to preserve his fake tan and footballers image rather than getting stuck in.

Rory and/or Sean Lamont for the backs. Both guys need a decent team to really shine and I think both Webby & Mite will testify that anything from the Lamont family automatically equals class.

Anyone think that Ryan Jones should be given a go as Lions Captain? He's definitely been a factor in Wale's rapid ascent so far since he has come back! Jason White would be a good idea too failing that. Maybe a joint Captaincy of hardcore (f***in' metal \m/ ) back rowers? :lol:

Picking up on what Schalk said, the last thing we want is for the incoming coach to be a total idiot and basically pick the squad of one nation. Would McGeechan do this I wonder? Somehow, I think he's streetwise and in touch enough to not do this. Also, Jake White, having dealt with the ANC for most of his coaching career, would be much more sensitive to the politics of the Lions.

Rory and/or Sean Lamont for the backs. Both guys need a decent team to really shine and I think both Webby & Mite will testify that anything from the Lamont family automatically equals class.

Anyone think that Ryan Jones should be given a go as Lions Captain? He's definitely been a factor in Wale's rapid ascent so far since he has come back! Jason White would be a good idea too failing that. Maybe a joint Captaincy of hardcore (f***in' metal \m/ ) back rowers? :lol:

Picking up on what Schalk said, the last thing we want is for the incoming coach to be a total idiot and basically pick the squad of one nation. Would McGeechan do this I wonder? Somehow, I think he's streetwise and in touch enough to not do this. Also, Jake White, having dealt with the ANC for most of his coaching career, would be much more sensitive to the politics of the Lions.
[/b]

I think your onto something there, Jones/White would be a good captaincy combination. At least White anyway.

Who else agrees that Wigglesworth is the best half back in the NH and is the #1 choice for halfback? :bana:

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

I think your onto something there, Jones/White would be a good captaincy combination. At least White anyway.

Who else agrees that Wigglesworth is the best half back in the NH and is the #1 choice for halfback? :bana:
[/b][/quote]

I think readan is the best

Not really. Thought Reddan had a better game on the weekend :p
[/b]
Yarr, Reddan or Blair on current form. Wales have got two potential Lions at scrum-half, but they'll need to up their game significantly.

I think Reddan, Blair & Wigglesworth as the choice scrum-halves. While Wigglesworth did have a superb game against France, Reddan and Blair have been consistently good for over two years now and must take priority.

Strange, I keep thinking someone should be mentioning Danny Care by now...

Based on current form and personal bias, not trying to second guess which players may or may not be too old to make it or which new players will get there:

1. Sheridan (one of the few easy choices)

2. Flannery (noone stands out)

3. Vickery (he was great v France and noone else really stands out)

4. Shaw (but we need other lineout options as he is less dominant)

5. Hines (did i say lineout options)

6. Haskell (White isn't hitting top form yet, if he does he would make a great Lions captain)

7. M Williams (an outstanding player)

8. R Jones (but Heaslip does look good)

9. Reddan (really impressed by him, great all round game but plenty of competition)

10. O'Gara (on current form his kicking is exceptional and distribution is good. Hook and Wilko in the party)

11. Sackey (a bit unsure on wingers. Williams aside noone looks too sensational)

12. Henson (showing some real class at the moment)

13. Shanklin (O'Driscoll needs some competition to recover his top form)

14. S Williams (is there a better game-breaking runner availible?)

15. Balshaw (or maybe Byrne, but a weak position. Maybe we should invite the french to the party?)

Some positions look very competitive (e.g. halfbacks), some have clear choices (Sheridan) but a fair few places are calling for someone to stand up and make the position their own (hooker, wing and full back in particular).

21. The South African born lad who plays for Bath and who's name nobody can spell.
[/b]

Nick Abendanon? It's spelt exactly as it is said, I fail to see why it causes such trouble. :)

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>All Lee Byrne has done is score! Pretty much it! Hes defenseivly weak![/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

But wasn't the point of this topic based on players current form in the 6N?
If so, then I'm with Dullonien, he hasn't put a foot wrong yet.

1 Sherindan
2 Flannery
3 Jenkins if he can play tigh-head if not then Stevens, even though he plays loose-head for Bath
4 O'Connell if returns to previous form/fitness if not then O'Callaghan
5 Shaw
6 White
7 M Williams if he continues, if not Haskell
8 R Jones
9 Peel, if he returns to any kind of form else Reddan
10 O'Gara for his form over the past two/three 6N.
11 S Williams
12 Flood if he retains his current form, though Henson isn't far behind
13 Shanklin with O'Driscoll breathing down his neck
14 Strettle if he ever stays fit
15 Dempsey or Murphy, whoever is on form

Bench:

16 Stevens/Jenkins
17 Hartley
18 O'Callaghan/Borthwick
19 Haskell/Wallace
20 Reddan/Phillips
21 Hook
22 Vainikolo

But wasn't the point of this topic based on players current form in the 6N?
If so, then I'm with Dullonien, he hasn't put a foot wrong yet.[/b]

At last, someone who agrees. I thought I was going mad, especially when Ballshaw was mentioned ahead of him!!!! Looking at you Stormmaster.

same here, my last post was a tongue in cheek comment. Wasn't having a go at you or anything.

Latest posts