• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

McAlister heading to Sale

Yeah mate, thats exactly what I was hinting at when I asked the question a. I'm also sure they said June too. That's why I was sure he was staying until he had that recent interview. Time will tell I guess.

The potential for McAlister/Toeava backline is incredible though. Considering they're 23 and 21 years old. Add Evans at 1st 5 and Rokocoko and Howlett on the wings you've got the worlds best club backline, at the Blues. [/b]
yeah that would be an awesome backline but not the blues best ever(2003 c.spencer,s.tuitupou, rupeni, rococoko, rico gear & mils.

I remember reading something about teams having till June (i.e a month and a half ago) to register players? Although that may have been for the European Tournament. [/b]

Thats wrong. Alan Gaffney still wants to get more players for Saracens before the start of the season.

Didn't Leon Macdonald go to japan then come back to NZ before the World cup/Lions series

In any case, Sale can buy McAlister if they want, it'll be great, Luke can be caught dawdling out of position on a regular basis for NH club instead of for his country so in that regard going north might be a boon for Mrs Henry and New Zealand!

hat will happen to elvis seveali'i he is one class player but mccallister is in a league of his own!!!

Didn't Leon Macdonald go to japan then come back to NZ before the World cup/Lions series

[/b]
yep had concusion problems so he left. didn't like it in japan so he came back and somehow without the concusion problems.

In any case, Sale can buy McAlister if they want, it'll be great, Luke can be caught dawdling out of position on a regular basis for NH club instead of for his country so in that regard going north might be a boon for Mrs Henry and New Zealand! [/b]
that is totally unfair hes a good defender hes just not a 13.

Kind of pathetic England can't develop some of their own talent. It's a waste really, you'd think they'd want to grow some players in that position for their own good.

I see it as a loss for both England and New Zealand. McAlister will be only 28 in 2011, he will be back by then, so in the long run, England get shafted don't they.

Kind of pathetic England can't develop some of their own talent. It's a waste really, you'd think they'd want to grow some players in that position for their own good.

I see it as a loss for both England and New Zealand. McAlister will be only 28 in 2011, he will be back by then, so in the long run, England get shafted don't they. [/b]
its not just england either the ospreys earlier this year had marshall starting and spice on the bench both halfbacks from nz.

I see it as a loss for both England and New Zealand. McAlister will be only 28 in 2011, he will be back by then, so in the long run, England get shafted don't they. [/b]

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. How tragically misinformed you are, how sad that you won't be here to see the likes of Anthony Allen of Gloucester, Shane Geraghty of London Irish, Matthew Tait of Newcastle and probably even Andy Farrell of Saracens catch McAlister woefully out of position and run away for a break.

Just because we're getting a few players from the SH, mostly spread as one or maybe two per club, does not mean that will be the end of efforts to develop home grown talent. All of our club and regional academies are bustling with talent.

I think it is rather more pathetic that you feel fit to make such woefully ignorant assertions despite having little working knowledge of what actually goes on in English rugby! Tch! A waste!

Justin Marshall rarely played for the Ospreys and because they already had Welsh talent like James Hook coming on up who outplayed him any day. Also, he is a two faced, turncoat, money grabbing toss pot, he left the Ospreys in the lurch when they actually did need him to run off to Japan to chase the dollar! Ospreys only bought him as cover, not as a replacement so I don't quite see how you can compare them in the same light.

Guys, if you want the real foreign legions, go to France. Most of Stade Francais is made up of Argentinians!

good to see presticle's ignorance come out again. i have next no doubt Luke will sign with Sale. all the mail is heading that way.

if you think hes going to make glaring defensive lapses against the likes of Andy Farrell your dreaming. Thats assuming Mr. Farrell doesn't have another one of his mysterious virus's to keep him out of 3/4's of the season.

good to see presticle's ignorance come out again. i have next no doubt Luke will sign with Sale. all the mail is heading that way.

if you think hes going to make glaring defensive lapses against the likes of Andy Farrell your dreaming. Thats assuming Mr. Farrell doesn't have another one of his mysterious virus's to keep him out of 3/4's of the season.
[/b]

Sorry, my ignorance? :lol:

Oh, I am very sorry sir, obviously the fact that I watch the GP day in day out, follow it every hour of every day and passionately support a top 4 GP team means absolutely nothing when it comes to commenting on the state of Rugby in England today!

Obviously I should yeild so a bunch of people who rarely watch anything NH, let alone the GP! Wow! What a wonderful bounty of knowledge you guys have, whatever morsels of knowledge about the GP and English rugby will you inform me of next?

Please remove ones crown from yonder orifice and smell the hot coffee of reality sir!

All Blacks No. 12 Luke McAlister will join Sale on a two-year contract when the World Cup ends in October.

McAlister said that he was committing himself to Sale for the next two years with the option of a third, a timescale which would allow him to return to New Zealand and compete for a place in the 2011 World Cup.

"I want to go overseas and experience a different lifestyle," said McAlister. "You only get one shot at it and I want to make the most of my career. I have lived in Manchester before and liked it," said McAlister, who spent 10 years of his boyhood in the north, including a stint in Manchester United's academy, when his father, Charlie, played rugby league for Oldham Roughyeds, Castleford and Sheffield Eagles.

http://www.allblacks.com/index.cfm?layout=...ewsArticle=6413

-------------------------------------------------------------

gutted to see him go, very young player, only turning 24 this year, he just established his international career. would have had a bright future in the ABs midfield.

nothing can be done now. Atleast we have him for the WC.

bring on Toeava and Conrad Smith for the centre pairing.

noooooooo.jpg

Although on Close Up he said something about the NZRFU already drawing up a contract for him to return at the end of 2009.

well he was either going to go now or after the next world cup and has decieded to go now and proabbly come back in time for the 2011 world cup.

<div class='quotemain'> good to see presticle's ignorance come out again. i have next no doubt Luke will sign with Sale. all the mail is heading that way.

[/b]

Sorry, my ignorance? :lol:

Oh, I am very sorry sir, obviously the fact that I watch the GP day in day out, follow it every hour of every day and passionately support a top 4 GP team means absolutely nothing when it comes to commenting on the state of Rugby in England today!

Obviously I should yeild so a bunch of people who rarely watch anything NH, let alone the GP! Wow! What a wonderful bounty of knowledge you guys have, whatever morsels of knowledge about the GP and English rugby will you inform me of next?

Please remove ones crown from yonder orifice and smell the hot coffee of reality sir! [/b][/quote]

Well Considering the Fact You Think Marshall is a Fly Half...

Justin Marshall rarely played for the Ospreys and because they already had Welsh talent like James Hook coming on up who outplayed him any day.[/b]

And stop listening to Shtoves nonsense, McAlister will have no problem on defence. It took Mortlock 60 minutes and for the Wallabies to be a Man Up for him to do anything against an out of position Luke who had 36 hours to prepare for the job, and even than it was Mauger who was getting run over and causing all the damage.

2 Weeks Later, with McAlister in his rightful position at 12, Giteau was non-existant and Mortlock had to resort to running sideways and zig-zagging through fowards to gain metres. So I think he will do fine against unproven quantities like Allen (Running through Nonu a player does not make) and Tait (lol... Tait, most overhyped Englishman this side of Ben Cohen) - especially on the slower English Grounds. Suppose One Small Positive is that he will get to run around and through Mauger twice a year before coming back after 2 seasons.

As an Auckland and All Blacks supporter, its really sad to see him go... At least for auckland we gain Nick Evans but for the AB's theres gonna be a huge gap to fill, with Mauger gone aswell... Bring on another promising youngster!

McAlister is a big loss but it will ease the way for some more new blood, he is a good player but is yet to impress on the big stage.

can't believe he decided to leave! would've been awesome to see Evans and McAlister next season for the blues.

He is so young!

stupid europeans.

I wonder why aren't we able to pay our All Blacks enough to make them stay? should we make the seasons longer? copy them northern leagues and play a few comps at a time?

How much is he getting paid? I'd drop him now lol and say, "we picked you just to know where your going next year, now we know, we dont need you for the WC"

Its just not funny, he's too young! so much for that great combination we're talking about (mcalister+toeava)

Latest posts