Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
New Zealand name World Cup squad
New Zealand have named seven European-based players in their 23-man squad for the World Cup in South Africa.
Blackburn Rovers central defender Ryan Nelsen will captain the side who are appearing in the tournament for the first time since their debut in 1982.
Plymouth's Rory Fallon, Chris Killen of Middlesbrough, Tommy Smith of Ipswich, West Brom's Chris Wood and Motherwell's Michael McGlinchey are also included.
They join Denmark-based Winston Reid, who plays for FC Midtjylland.
Reid, who played for Denmark's under-20 side before switching allegiances, is one of two uncapped players named by coach Ricki Herbert, along with former under-20 international Aaron Clapham.
Clapham, who plays for Canterbury in his homeland, impressed in Sunday's trial match where he lined up for New Zealand A against a New Zealand Football Championship All Stars XI and created his side's second goal in a 2-0 win.

Clapham aside, Herbert's squad contained few surprises with the former All Whites defender pledging to select the 18 players who helped get New Zealand to the World Cup.
While he backtracked on that slightly - omitting Aaron Scott - the bulk of the squad involved in qualifying was retained.
Jeremy Christie was another notable inclusion after being forced to move to the Tampa Bay Rowdies after he was axed by the Wellington Phoenix at the end of the 2008-09 A-League season.
Herbert, who played in the 1982 World Cup in Spain, said both Christie and Clapham had deserved their selection.
"Aaron has come into this group and looked very comfortable," he said
"He is the type of player that should be around the international scene for many years and he has a big future in the professional game.
"Jeremy has always been on the radar and I have kept in close contact with his coach at Tampa Bay and we believe he will offer a great deal to the squad."
The squad reassembles in Auckland on 19 May and will travel to Melbourne for a match against Australia before going on to a pre-tournament camp in Austria and warm-up games against Serbia and Slovenia.
They will arrive in South Africa on 6 June ahead of their Pool F matches against Slovakia, Italy and Paraguay.

New Zealand squad
Goalkeepers: James Bannatyne (Team Wellington), Glen Moss (Melbourne Victory), Mark Paston (Wellington Phoenix)
Defenders: Andy Boyens (New York Red Bulls), Tony Lochhead (Wellington Phoenix), Ryan Nelsen (Blackburn Rovers), Winston Reid (FC Midtjylland), Ben Sigmund (Wellington Phoenix), Tommy Smith (Ipswich Town), Ivan Vicelich (Auckland City)
Midfielders: Andy Barron (Team Wellington), Leo Bertos (Wellington Phoenix), Tim Brown (Wellington Phoenix), Jeremy Christie (FC Tampa Bay Rowdies), Aaron Clapham (Canterbury United), Simon Elliott (unattached), Michael McGlinchey (Motherwell), David Mulligan (unattached)
Strikers: Jeremy Brockie (Newcastle Jets), Rory Fallon (Plymouth Argyle), Chris Killen (Middlesbrough), Shane Smeltz (Gold Coast United), Chris Wood (West Bromwich Albion)

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8672235.stm

Will they pefrom the Haka before the games? I just can't picture a football team doing it. Maybe Ryan Nelsen could pull it off

Not everyone from NZ can perform the Haka, they need to focus more on losing anyway. So we can kill this WC-Soccer buzz thats going on, an focus on a real sport.

Not everyone from NZ can perform the Haka, they need to focus more on losing anyway. So we can kill this WC-Soccer buzz thats going on, an focus on a real sport.

Wow someone that takes real pride in their country here.

I'd say he's fairly alone or in a minority over that. Most of NZ is really pretty excited and hoping they do well.

Wow someone that takes real pride in their country here.

A LOT actually, but I'm a bit of a realist when it comes to sports, I'm glad they made it, but I can't see them winning a match.

I'd say he's fairly alone or in a minority over that. Most of NZ is really pretty excited and hoping they do well.

Yeah you're right, but i know that once we're out of the the WC, the All Whites will once again be forgotten, and all attention will be on the RWC.

Who is Israel Dagg?? I am fascinated by the play of this guy against Ireland

Guess he's going to shine

Israel Dagg is the All Whites captain, his father is Zeus and his mother is your mother.

The All Whites need Ed Fairhurst, if they had him they would win the World Cup easily. I mean, he is such a multi-talented person I'm sure he would be the best soccer player about.

Ed%20Fairhurst.jpg

Gents this is about Football / Soccer and not rugby. On topic please.

The All Whites are playing this afternoon ... pitty im working!

How are Slovakia? Is it that they're good, or that NZ are bad that the odds are stacked so heavily against the all whites?
8/1 for them to win, 3/2 for Slovakia

Reckon it will be a good game.

NZ has Nelson from Blackburn in defence, they at times lack some flair in the midfield but have some tidy strikers in Smeltz, Killen, Fallon and Woods.

Also Chris Moyles is providing alternative commentary for the game.

Ah! Didn't know that,
Loving the jingles they've got

NZ seem to have the upper hand

It's a bloody close run thing so far, but I almost fear to say that New Zealand have had the narrowest of edges in the game so far. I'm still prepared to have my heart broken.

New Zealands passing is shocking... Man this WC is goal shy so far. Slovakia are threatening a lot though. Can't see NZ winning this one. They will be lucky to get a draw i think.

New Zealands passing is shocking... Man this WC is goal shy so far. Slovakia are threatening a lot though. Can't see NZ winning this one. They will be lucky to get a draw i think.

It is slow and not that accurate, but we've got some not bad touches on attack. It's just that Slovakia will probably beat us to it and get a goal I reckon.

Oooooh, very tight offside call there :O, My flag was up I'd say.

Latest posts