• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand v Ireland, 7th June 2008, Westpac Stadium, Wellington New Zealand

Alan quinlans got an ankle injury so Shane jenning comes on to the bench and Leamy starts. Im glad fitzgerald has finally been picked in the centre always thought hed be better there than on the wing. Would have liked to see Tony Buckly start despite his scrumaging. As for tuitivake he cant be slower than Bow

The season has been such a contrast for us. From the lows of the WC and the 6 Nations at international level to the highs of the Magners League (a relatively low-key high associated with winning winning a poor league) and the HEC.

The biggest factors for me are;

Home advantage - Still worth in or around 8 points in my mind.

Post season hangover - I'm not convinced the Munster lads will mentally be in the right place for this series. If they are, they could do some serious damage to this NZ pack.

No EOS - Given that we sent Bradley down with the team I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

New NZ Team - Possible defensive frailties (not talking about Nonu here) due to lack of time together.

The players have proven they can compete at club level, but those same players have consistently underperformed at international level that I dont really understand any Irish optimism at this stage. The facts are, Ireland have been totally **** all year. Swapping Eddie O'Sullivan for Michael Bradley is hardly an instant cure for general shitness.

Not sure why everyone slags off Nonu. He is a top class player and was one of the best centers in the Super14. Personally, I don't think Smith is All Black material, even though he is a Mauger-type of player. This test, for Conrad, will be either a sink or swim time. If he doesn't perform I wouldn't be surprised if he is dropped in favour of Tuitavake or even Kahui, when he returns from injury.

Andy Ellis and Dan Carter will play well together and bring in their form from the Crusaders. I was surprised that Andrew Hore was starting ahead of Kevin Mealamu as Mealamu always performs when he is in an All Black jersey.

The two props look good, but I would have liked to seen a new face to partner Ali Williams, a.k.a Spiderman, in the second-row, perhaps Boric or even Thomson. The back-row looks very strong and I'm looking forward to the two young guns at number eight clashing with eachother.

This will be a baptism of fire for Luke Fitzgerald, but thankfully he has the legend that is Brian O'Driscoll as a partner in the center. Kearney will hopefully continue his good form in the green shirt, while the second-row of O'Callaghan and O'Connell will prove what the Kiwis are really made of.

The front-row battle with be pivotal, with, in my view, Ireland just pinching it. It'll be great to see David Wallace go up against the New Zealand King Richie McCaw and cause him a few problems, just like the Highlander's back-row did when they beat the Crusaders in Christchurch.

Ireland could have a real chance here I think, but then again they've never actually beaten the ABs and without a side that look truly dominant I just can't see it happening.

Both teams are on a bit of a low, but the All Blacks at home are almost impossible to beat. They havent lost since 2003 at home, i cant see that changing. Exciting to see the likes of Fitzgerald and Heaslip in the starting lineup.

It's possible wouldn't you say? I mean, shambolic RWC exit not withstanding (and one not exactly without controversy), the same policy did produce something like 44 wins out of 48 games over 4 years... that's one loss a year (and I think 2 of those were in South Africa - one of the hardest places to play). [/b]

Add onto that the fact that Henry is having to start from scratch then the tactic makes sense. However, I'm sure that this time he'll know what his optimum XV will be come 2011 and stick to it when the tournament starts.

Not sure why everyone slags off Nonu. He is a top class player and was one of the best centers in the Super14. [/b]
I agree. Nonu was really good this season. I think he'll put on a good display at centre. If there are any failings for NZ, I think it will be team failings.

First post ftw.

Is anyone else Questioning Murphy's lack of inclusion in the 22. Don't get me wrong Girv is an awesome players, but I can't see him changing the game if he comes on at all, which leads me to believe Bradley intends to play the game without using any back substitutions even in times of difficulty.

I realize Murphy is shocking on the wing but he prooved last year he is awesome at full back, and Kearney can play quite comfortably on the wing.

I think as cover for 15 Murphy would allow Bradley more options. Maybe you disagree.

Doesn't Murphy play at full back at Leicester? The guy seems to have adventure in spades when at FB.

Welcome to TRF, You're right though. Murphy definitely offers more off the bench than Girve.

Welcome to TRF, You're right though. Murphy definitely offers more off the bench than Girve.
[/b]

Thanks for the welcome.

I think over 80 minute Girv is the conservative choice, he is an excellent tackler, excellent positioning and unbeatable under the high ball. But is that what we want in a sub.

My opinion is that Murphy should be used as an impact sub for Ireland, however maybe our lack of depth over the past few years have made us overlook this asset.

anyway...

I think the AB's will be at a huge disadvantage for this game. They are playing against the old rules, and after playing for 14-16 weeks under the new rules will have alot to do to get back to the old stuff.

will be a challenge, and will make it that much easier for the irish givin that the abs only have a couple of weeks together, some of them only started with the team this week.

anyway...

I think the AB's will be at a huge disadvantage for this game. They are playing against the old rules, and after playing for 14-16 weeks under the new rules will have alot to do to get back to the old stuff.

will be a challenge, and will make it that much easier for the irish givin that the abs only have a couple of weeks together, some of them only started with the team this week. [/b]
That's all I've been trying to say for a while now...
It just seems that the AB's are, at the moment, at a disadvantage and if the Irish play to their best can capitolize on that.

<div class='quotemain'> anyway...

will be a challenge, and will make it that much easier for the irish givin that the abs only have a couple of weeks together, some of them only started with the team this week. [/b]
It just seems that the AB's are, at the moment, at a disadvantage and if the Irish play to their best can capitolize on that.
[/b][/quote]

Too true. I might put a sly 10 on Ireland to win, just so I don't feel too ****** off in the event of an AB loss.

I'd love to have the confidence to bet on Ireland....

When was the last time we won an away tour match against a southern hemisphere team... I don't think we did while Eddie was coach. Last season we lost 2 around this time of year to Argentina, I know it was our second string but it was theirs too.

What channel's are showing the match, or are any ?

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> anyway...

[/b][/quote]

Too true. I might put a sly 10 on Ireland to win, just so I don't feel too ****** off in the event of an AB loss.
[/b][/quote]
Dont waste money on a bet on Ireland. Its a terribly off form Ireland against an AB side with some changes up front but with more than enough fire power to win by at least 20 points. Save your money.

I'll take your word for it.

So whats this Fitzgerald guy like? Any good? Is he a Ma'a Nonu type player, or more of an Aaron Mauger type player?

Hes a Fullback, that usually plays on the wing and we have thrown him in at first center.....

He's young and quite energetic offensively, light on his feet and quick. I don't think he is a good passer or kicker (although Tony Ward seems to think so). He played Out Half for Blackrock College (traditionally considered one of the better rugby Schools in Ireland, Brian O Driscol went there) so I must assume he has some skills with foot and hand but I am not sure.

I think he is going to get mullered to be honest, I also don't think we should start a lightweight first center beside ROG.

If he gets space you can expect a lighting game, he will benefit greatly off ROG's flat passing provided he has time before the crunch hits him. I still think we would be better off with Trimble but he is a mile better then Horgan playing center.

EDIT: Actually Trimble is Injured, maybe he is our best bet. Bowe sometimes plays Center for Ulster though....

I might put a sly 10 on Ireland to win, just so I don't feel too ****** off in the event of an AB loss. [/b]

Gee I might put $20...what is the TAB paying?

$6.25 for Ireland to win......

Hmmmm...so I give $20 and I might collect $125!!!!

Fitzgerald is all potential at the moment, he hasnt actually delivered anything meaningful yet. Considering he has barely broken into the Leinster team, all the hype is a little excessive. I dont think he will be half as isolated as some people say. BOD has already spoken of how they will be interchanging positions regularly, and Wallace has always been quick enough to cover the channel.

I'm not worried about the 10-12 channel too much to be honest.

Was watching a bit of the S14 final again last night. The sheer ferocity of the breakdown competition scared the bejesus out of me. Waugh, McCaw and company were literally flinging their bodies into rucks. I didnt think any NH teams could compete with that until it was mentioned that the new laws only ping offenses in these areas as free kicks. The risk vs' reward under the new laws makes it more rewarding to challenge for a turnover. I wonder however if this mentality could cause problems for the SH teams under the normal rules. A danger of being pinged off the park for consistent infringment in this area?

Any idea who the ref's are going to be NH or SH referees?

Latest posts