• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] Wales vs. New Zealand (25/11/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Wales.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
New%20Zealand.png

Venue: Principality Stadium
Time: 19:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Not exactly confident about this one. Wales showed a bit of promise against Aus but with 14 changes against Georgia the team didn't get any more time to bed in and get used to this new system. As long as Williams is fit I would expect the same team that played against Aus but with Tirpuic at 7.

Just been announced that Liam Williams is injured (huge loss) and is out as well as Cuthbert (not a loss). Another wing I assume will be called up, not sure who though, Tom James? This all but confrims a Amos, Halfpenny and Evans back 3.

In the press conference today Shaun Edwards talked about Roberts starting 13............

if that happens I might just end it.

Last edited:
Expect/hope to see:

01 Rob Evans
02 Ken Owens
03 Tom Francis (doesn't sound like Lee is fit, and certainly isn't match fit)
04 Jake Ball
05 Alun-Wyn Jones
06 Aaron Shingler
07 Justin Tipuric
08 Taulupe Faletau

09 Rhys Webb
10 Dan Biggar (I would like to see Priestland, but maybe too much change in midfield then)
11 Steff Evans
12 Owen Williams
13 Scott Williams (who else?)
14 Halam Amos
15 Leigh Halfpenny

16 Eliot Dee (don't think Dacey is good enough personally)
17 Wyn Jones (scrummaging should come first, and Nicky Smith needs to improve in that department)
18 Leon Brown
19 Seb Davies
20 Josh Navidi
21 Gareth Davies
22 Rhys Priestland
23 Owen Watkin

Expect/hope to see:

01 Rob Evans
02 Ken Owens
03 Tom Francis (doesn't sound like Lee is fit, and certainly isn't match fit)
04 Jake Ball
05 Alun-Wyn Jones
06 Aaron Shingler
07 Justin Tipuric
08 Taulupe Faletau

09 Rhys Webb
10 Dan Biggar (I would like to see Priestland, but maybe too much change in midfield then)
11 Steff Evans
12 Owen Williams
13 Scott Williams (who else?)
14 Halam Amos
15 Leigh Halfpenny

16 Eliot Dee (don't think Dacey is good enough personally)
17 Wyn Jones (scrummaging should come first, and Nicky Smith needs to improve in that department)
18 Leon Brown
19 Seb Davies
20 Josh Navidi
21 Gareth Davies
22 Rhys Priestland
23 Owen Watkin

I agree with this team.

I'm starting to get more and more disillusioned with the coaching setup from their comments in press conferences and actions with selections etc. Their lack of awareness to what the public's issues are are ridiculous and somehow the don't see what every single other person can see in rugby, i.e continuation of picking Cuthbert, Sam Cross getting in the squad instead of Thomas Young.

He is still there, captained the side that played Georgia last week, has been injured for almost a year coming back a few weeks into the season. He's also the same as always, strong in defence but doesn't really offer anything else. Shingler is a great athlete that will get round the park, much more useful with the ball in hand as well as the lineout.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...acks-are-not-the-fearsome-team-they-once-were
"Former Wales captain Gwyn Jones says the All Blacks are 'not the fearsome team' they once were."
this is annoying because this gets said every few years. ABs arent gods. theyre human. this aura you go on about isnt constructed by the ABs. the ABs train to be a better team, they dont build "aura's"
i really wish people would stop saying this and then making out that it will make a difference to how the ABs perform. whether youre intimidated by their aura or not really is your own problem

On Monday Wales have a **% chance.
Cuthbert is injured.
Wales' chances immediately improve by 200%

On a serious note, I don't see wales winning. Too many injuries and too much experimentation to beat a team that is well established.

Sad to say for a NH side, but Wales are looking at a hiding. Too many key players missing.

Sad to say for a NH side, but Wales are looking at a hiding. Too many key players missing.
Scotland had heaps of injuries and really took it to the ABs.
as they say in the NFL "any team can beat any other team on any given Sunday"
ABs need to consider that welsh can beat them and prepare accordingly

Not looking rosy is it?? Without our 2 most potent threats L Williams and JD2 we have zero chance of worrying this AB side . ABs superior in every aspect of the game ( attacking continuity , set piece and Defense ) can't see how we even begin to win this one! All we can hope for is a decent performance and fight from the boys and if we get that then it may be a decent result .

[QUOTE ="MikeTheNative, post: 880327, member: 74084"]Just been announced that Liam Williams is injured (huge loss) and is out as well as Cuthbert (not a loss). Another wing I assume will be called up, not sure who though, Tom James? This all but confrims a Amos, Halfpenny and Evans back 3.

In the press conference today Shaun Edwards talked about Roberts starting 13............

if that happens I might just end it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah me too, for fucks sake every time we take a step forward selectors knock us back a step, progress seems to stand still

Shaun Edwards: "Even though the All Blacks only had 40 per cent possession, they still scored three tries and were very dangerous. But starving them of the ball is one way of keeping their attack quiet."
yeah that's one way but more accurately (as Scotland did) you have use the ball constructively.

Expected Welsh team according to WalesOnline (who usually get these things right):

The probable Wales team: 15. Leigh Halfpenny, 14. Steff Evans, 13. Scott Williams, 12. Owen Williams, 11. Hallam Amos, 10. Dan Biggar, 9. Rhys Webb, 1. Rob Evans, 2. Ken Owens, 3. Tomas Francis, 4. Jake Ball, 5. Alun Wyn Jones, 6. Aaron Shingler, 7. Josh Navidi, 8. Taulupe Faletau

Replacements: Gareth Davies, Jamie Roberts, Rhys Priestland, Cory Hill, Kristian Dacey, Leon Brown, Justin Tipuric, Wyn Jones

Better than I expected if true. I probably would have gambled a little and started Tipuric, but the coaching team should know best there. Good impact available on the bench, apart from Roberts that is! Injuries have maybe forced his inclusion somewhat, but I'd have preferred to see Watkin as the back-up instead.

Good to see Wyn Jones getting the nod. Should ensure our scrum remains competitive till the end.

That team could be worse I suppose and because of injuries there is not much else they could have done. I'm not sure what the point of having Jamie Roberts on the bench is though, might have had Seb Davies on there instead of Cory Hill.

Latest posts