• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] Wales vs. South Africa (02/12/2017)

Why is Faletau allowed to play for Wales but Francois Louw is not allowed to play for SA when both of them play for Bath?

When joining Bath he got in his contract that he can play in every Wales game even outside the window. Bath knew this and have said that they are prepared to pay the fine if they get one.

When joining Bath he got in his contract that he can play in every Wales game even outside the window. Bath knew this and have said that they are prepared to pay the fine if they get one.

I was under the impression that it's the RFU that has the say on players being released for internationals falling outside the test window?

Even if that clause is in his contract, it's a bit of a double standard being set.

Not that we'd want the elderly Louw playing anyway.

He's a retreaded blindside flank passed his best and not exactly a prospect for the future of Bok rugby.

Much prefer Chris Cloete or Jaco Kriel at 6 when fit.

I was under the impression that it's the RFU that has the say on players being released for internationals falling outside the test window?

Even if that clause is in his contract, it's a bit of a double standard being set.

It's Premier Rugby the ones who organise the league have the rule that no English players can be released outside the window. Yeah it's not really fair but until the punishment is docking points instead of a small fine I don't think clubs are going to be that bothered about breaking it.

Not that we'd want the elderly Louw playing anyway.

He's a retreaded blindside flank passed his best and not exactly a prospect for the future of Bok rugby.

Much prefer Chris Cloete or Jaco Kriel at 6 when fit.

Cloete is not eligible as he's not playing in SA, and Kriel is injured.

Louw hasn't exactly done much wrong this year in a bok jersey. Certainly deserves to be there ahead of others like Cassiem and Mohoje.

Hi

Bear in mind that South Africa under this coach will more than likely be looking to getting it's colour mix right rather than select on merit..

In other words we'll see a guy like Uzair Cassiem (blindside flank) selected ahead of Dan Du Preez to play 8th man. Cassiem has been exposed all season long as an average club player. He really is pathetic and doesn't belong there. We can expect Dan Du Preez to come on for the last 20 minutes or so.

Word has it that Warrick Gelant will be wearing the 15 jersey on Saturday. He is a dynamic talent and should have been in the mix ages ago. I'm hoping he 'll make the jersey his own.

I see most are a little concerned about Wales and their showing of late. I wouldn't be if I were you. Wales have beaten the useless Boks in their last three encounters. Besides ... the Boks have a a mix of quotas and bozos playing for them under this coach. The talented boys are back home preparing for the coming festive season.

I think Wales have what it takes to beat this Bok side. I will be cheering for them.

Good Luck!!

Wales have beat the Boks in the last three encounters? Are you not counting the World Cup Quaterfinals?

Not good news for Wales in the front row. Rob Evans is struggling apparently, as is Leon Brown. Rhodri Jones has been called up.................................... To put in this into perspective for SA fans he can't even get into a crap that is the osprey's team at the moment and has just played two anglo welsh games all season. Looks like Wales' scrum will be a penalty pinata Saturday.

As above its the prl who run the league and have the tiles with regards to player release.
They have a deal with the rfu where the rfu pay the club's for access to their players outside of the test window. They don't have this agreement with any other club hence Saints (and now bath) getting fined for releasing Welsh players for outside the windows tests

The Wales team:

Wales: Halfpenny; Amos, S Williams, H Parkes, S Evans; Biggar, A Davies; R Evans, Dacey, Andrews, Hill, A W Jones, Shingler, Navidi, Faletau.

Replacements: Dee, W Jones, R Jones, S Davies, Lydiate, Webb, Patchell, Watkin.

ken Owens out as well which makes the front row a bit weak although Dacey is pretty decent. Parkes will make his debut as expected, he fits will into a Scarlets team that plays a good brand of rugby at 12 so let's hope he can continue the form for Wales. Aled Davies is the surprise selection here, he's a talented player and I'm surprised they threw him into the deep end with a start and not from the bench. Finally see Patchell this AI, I just hope he get's on at 10 with some decent game time. bench should add a but of impact with Dee, Davies, Webb and Watkins coming on. Obvious weakness is Andrews in at thight head for the scrum and ...shudder.... Rhodri Jones on the bench. At the start of the AI with all the players fit I was pretty confident about this game now with the injuries I'm not so sure. With Louw and Vermulean out I expect Wales to win the back row contest and I think we will need it with the scrum retreating on every feed. Still don't understand picking Hill over Seb Davies.

Parkes seems like a 'cap him before he changes his mind' selection

Bit like the Denny Solomona situation

The Springbok team to play against Wales in Cardiff is:
15. Andries Coetzee, Emirates Lions – 12 caps, 0 points
14. Dillyn Leyds, DHL Stormers – 8 caps, 5 points (1 try)
13. Jesse Kriel, Vodacom Bulls – 28 caps, 35 points (7 tries)
12. Francois Venter, Toyota Cheetahs – 6 caps, 5 points (1 try)
11. Warrick Gelant, Vodacom Bulls – 1 caps, 0 points
10. Handré Pollard, Vodacom Bulls – 25 caps, 206 points (2 tries, 35 conversions, 39 penalty goals, 3 drop goals)
9. Ross Cronje, Emirates Lions – 9 caps, 10 points (2 tries)
8. Dan du Preez, Cell C Sharks – 2 caps, 0 points
7. Pieter-Steph du Toit, DHL Stormers – 31 caps, 20 points (4 tries)
6. Siya Kolisi, DHL Stormers, – 27 caps, 20 points (4 tries)
5. Lood de Jager, Vodacom Bulls – 35 caps, 20 points (4 tries)
4. Eben Etzebeth (captain), DHL Stormers – 66 caps, 15 points (3 tries)
3. Wilco Louw, DHL Stormers – 4 caps, 0 points
2. Malcolm Marx, Emirates Lions – 13 caps, 15 points (3 tries)
1. Steven Kitshoff, DHL Stormers – 22 caps, 5 points (1 try)
Replacements:
16. Bongi Mbonambi, DHL Stormers – 13 caps, 5 points (1 try)
17. Trevor Nyakane, Vodacom Bulls – 36 caps, 5 points (1 try)
18. Ruan Dreyer, Emirates Lions – 4 caps, 5 points (1 try)
19. Oupa Mohoje, Toyota Cheetahs – 17 caps, 0 points
20. Uzair Cassiem, Toyota Cheetahs – 7 cap, 5 points (1 try)
21. Louis Schreuder, Cell C Sharks – 0 caps, 0 points
22. Elton Jantjies, Emirates Lions / NTT Shining Arcs (Japan) – 22 caps, 203 points (2 tries, 38 conversions, 38 penalty goals)
23. Lukhanyo Am, Cell C Sharks – 0 caps, 0 points

I am hoping Schreuder and AM get about 20 min to play i think but can become great Boks , happy about Gelant and Dan starting , sad that Dreyer is on the bench instead of Thomas i think Thomas can add more to the boks and is a massive future prospect !

10. Handré Pollard, Vodacom Bulls – 25 caps, 206 points (2 tries, 35 conversions, 39 penalty goals, 3 drop goals)
Replacements:
22. Elton Jantjies, Emirates Lions / NTT Shining Arcs (Japan) – 22 caps, 203 points (2 tries, 38 conversions, 38 penalty goals)

I really like this team. Hope i don't regret saying this but the team has a nice balance to it. One of the best teams selected under AC in my opinion. But the fact that i consider this a good team selection does not take away from my desire to include more of our Euro based players.
Only thing i would have changed is to remove Ross Cronje form the team. Only looks good in a Lions team.

Andries Coetzee is not as bad as peopel make him out to be.
We need to decide do we want a Willie le Roux or a Andries Coetzee. He seems very reliable and the kind of player you would like in a world cup final. There is a miconception that our back three is bad under the high ball but in truth it has only been our wings that has failed us so far.

Replacements:

I bolded the players i like ! Most are Sharks ofcourse !! But maybe thats what the bokke is missing !! SHARKS ! XD ..... more on a serious less bias note i really hope the players given a chance now take it with both hands !! That is of they get onto the field ofcourse !!

Go Bokke !

A bad fixture for the Welsh to be having absences in their front row - Ken Owens is a very big blow. I was really quite impressed by them against NZ, and even think Biggar has looked sharp this autum. If they can somehow compete up front then I quite fancy them. The roof should help to give their pack half a chance (whereas Italy in the rain got smothered by the Bok pack).

Latest posts