• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NZ vs Wales - June 2016

I'd be happy with a Highlanders/Chiefs backline and a Crusaders forward pack, with a few extras thrown in.

1 Moody
2 Coles
3 Franks
4 Retallick
5 Whitelock
6 Kaino
7 Cane
8 Read
9 Smith
10 Cruden
11 Savea
12 Ngatai
13 Fekitoa
14 Lowe
15 Smith

16 Taylor
17 Crockett
18 Faumuina
19 Tuipulotu
20 Dixon
21 Weber
22 McKenzie
23 Ranger

What has TKB done to deserve being dropped?

Rene Ranger ahead of NMS?

Much as I like James Lowe (being a Makos fan etc), he's a left winger not a right winger.

Last edited:
What has TKB done to deserve being dropped?

Rene Ranger ahead of NMS?

Much as I like James Lowe (being a Makos fan etc), he's a left winger not a right winger.

Nehe Milner Skudder is injured for the season isn't he ?

Nehe Milner Skudder is injured for the season isn't he ?

Yes he is out for 6 months after dislocating his shoulder. Certainly won't play against Wales.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, I'm not quite sure the Welsh boys quite know what they're in for when they come out here. I really have a feeling they're going to get absolutely rekt in every test given the current form and depth of all our players.

I think Welsh boys are quite realistic that don't have a cats hell in chance of winning, unless NZ are really rusty or don't perform in one of the tests. You only have to look at the videos posted by Nick Bishop of G & G rugby to see that speed of Wales's ruck work/clearance is light years behind even Argentina, let alone NZ. But I hope at least the tests are semi competitive.

Nothing, just Smith, TJ and Weber have all played better. All 3 have made it impossible not to pick them so far.

Well, I seem to recall that TKB was chosen ahead of Weber for the 2015 RWC when he was not playing (I think he might have had one ITM cup match under his belt when picked)

I think you will find Hansen will pick the type of player he wants as a SH sub rather then purely on form. Aaron Smith, TJP and Brad Weber are all very similar in the way they play, but TKB offers something different. He is tall for a SH (1m87 - 6ft 2), a strong, physical presence and a ball-running SH in the mould of Justin Marshall. If you look at Hansen's selections at RWC..

v ARG (Smith TJP-68 min)
v NAM (TJP, TKB - 48 min)
v GEO (Smith, TKB - 71 min)
v TON (Smith, TKB - 72 min)
v FRA (Smith, TKB - 65 min)
v RSA (Smith, TKB - DNP)
v AUS (Smith, TKB - 71 min)

...its quite obvious that he regards TKB as an impact player, or a player who can carry on if things are going OK, but to change the game if things aren't working

IMO, Smith, TJP and Brad Webber are vying for the 9 starting spot, while TKB will get the 21 slot unless his suffers a form slump or injury.

Well, I seem to recall that TKB was chosen ahead of Weber for the 2015 RWC when he was not playing (I think he might have had one ITM cup match under his belt when picked)

I think you will find Hansen will pick the type of player he wants as a SH sub rather then purely on form. Aaron Smith, TJP and Brad Weber are all very similar in the way they play, but TKB offers something different. He is tall for a SH (1m87 - 6ft 2), a strong, physical presence and a ball-running SH in the mould of Justin Marshall. If you look at Hansen's selections at RWC..

v ARG (Smith TJP-68 min)
v NAM (TJP, TKB - 48 min)
v GEO (Smith, TKB - 71 min)
v TON (Smith, TKB - 72 min)
v FRA (Smith, TKB - 65 min)
v RSA (Smith, TKB - DNP)
v AUS (Smith, TKB - 71 min)

...its quite obvious that he regards TKB as an impact player, or a player who can carry on if things are going OK, but to change the game if things aren't working

IMO, Smith, TJP and Brad Webber are vying for the 9 starting spot, while TKB will get the 21 slot unless his suffers a form slump or injury.

Yeah completely true, that's why I was not too disgruntled with TKB's selection for the RWC. He can pace a game nicely when he comes on and as you said, adds a real physical appearance, so if he's selected over Weber due to versatility options, I have absolute no problems there, definitely a great tactical option. Once again our depth in a position is simply staggering.

Given NMS won't play against Wales I would like a back 3 of

Lowe
B Smith - Right wing
Mckenzie

to be played at least once, poss twice to see how it goes.

Ben Smiths best year in international rugby IMO was a right wing when he scored so many tries, this would allow for Mckenzie to get a run and Lowe to play left wing.

WRU have given the green light for Justin Tipuric and James Davies to go off to Rio.
http://http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wru-give-green-light-justin-11164346

Apparently they're two of the XV's players targeted by Simon Amor for the GB 7's squad.

Will miss the tour to NZ though in order to be available for the pre-Olympics tournaments.

While we're gonna miss Tipuric, and you always want your best players available, this apparently opens the way up for Ellis Jenkins and Thomas Young to be called to the Tour.

12 Ngatai
13 Fekitoa

Living in London for the last 16 years (Been living overseas for the last 18 years, but bought a house in Whangarei last April 2015, so I'm going home in to live with the family at xmas time) has blunted my knowledge of some of the homegrown. However i was ever an uber fan of Conrad Smith from the time he was understudy to Tana at the Canes, and grew to be a huge fan of Nonu as he developed over time.

I've seen a bit of Fekitoa and he looks very capable but I have limited knowledge about Ngatai.
Is he much chop?
I mean he has massive boots to fill and i don't recognise the kid. How many caps has he got?

Wales have a very settled and strong defensive team. If they are let off the leash by Gatland they could catch the AB's cold.
Jamie Roberts is an enormous human being an is Ngatai going to be up to the challenge of trying to stop the human colossus?

WRU have given the green light for Justin Tipuric and James Davies to go off to Rio.
http://http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wru-give-green-light-justin-11164346

Apparently they're two of the XV's players targeted by Simon Amor for the GB 7's squad.

Will miss the tour to NZ though in order to be available for the pre-Olympics tournaments.

While we're gonna miss Tipuric, and you always want your best players available, this apparently opens the way up for Ellis Jenkins and Thomas Young to be called to the Tour.

i think its just saying they would be allowed. dont think they have been approached yet. it also doesnt take into the fact that they may not want to do it as might hamper their 15 ambitions. especially davies, say tipuric does go its likely that davies would tour to new zealand which im sure he would prefer than being in the olympics (granted this sounds insane but he has never been capped, if he really wants to play for wales now would be the time, as he is playing really well)

I met James Davies on a flight from London to Dubai. The Welsh avens team were on the same plane, and he had managed to get bumped up to business class. This was on Emirates, so it was quite impressive.

He was knocked out by the fact there was a bar there. He didn't drink anything, as he seemed genuinely terrified of their fitness coach ..... But I belive that he ate for 7 solid hours!

A really nice, genuine bloke. I spent a bit of time with him, couldn't ask for a nicer, more normal human being.

I met James Davies on a flight from London to Dubai. The Welsh avens team were on the same plane, and he had managed to get bumped up to business class. This was on Emirates, so it was quite impressive.

He was knocked out by the fact there was a bar there. He didn't drink anything, as he seemed genuinely terrified of their fitness coach ..... But I belive that he ate for 7 solid hours!

A really nice, genuine bloke. I spent a bit of time with him, couldn't ask for a nicer, more normal human being.
the davies brothers do come across as very genuine people

i think its just saying they would be allowed. dont think they have been approached yet. it also doesnt take into the fact that they may not want to do it as might hamper their 15 ambitions. especially davies, say tipuric does go its likely that davies would tour to new zealand which im sure he would prefer than being in the olympics (granted this sounds insane but he has never been capped, if he really wants to play for wales now would be the time, as he is playing really well)

Olympics is huge though, so can see why someone like Davies would jump at the chance.

Tips is out of all rugby for the rest of the season anyway to recover from his concussion, Olympics included.

Definitely opens up a chance for one of Davies, Jenkins, Young or Navidi to get into the squad. Be interesting to see who Davies goes with if he's selected for both.

Definitely opens up a chance for one of Davies, Jenkins, Young or Navidi to get into the squad. Be interesting to see who Davies goes with if he's selected for both.

Wish we were so blessed in all positions. There's serious depth at openside, that's excluding the likes of Cudd and Olly Griffiths at the Dragons!

Wish we were so blessed in all positions. There's serious depth at openside, that's excluding the likes of Cudd and Olly Griffiths at the Dragons!

really like olly griffiths from what ive seen of him at under 20's level. id go with davies though for the tour of new zealand, unless of course he prefers to go to the olympics! although i think he would choose the tour over it. as we have so many options at flanker he needs to put his hand up and seize the opportunity

Personally if Davies is keen to go to the Olympics let him go. I would give a run to Ellis Jenkins and Thomas Young. Preferably Jenkins.

really like olly griffiths from what ive seen of him at under 20's level. id go with davies though for the tour of new zealand, unless of course he prefers to go to the olympics! although i think he would choose the tour over it. as we have so many options at flanker he needs to put his hand up and seize the opportunity

Yeah, Griffiths looked a class act for the U20's. Not had the same impact in his appearances for the Dragons when he's had the chance though. Still a big prospect, and some very encouraging words for Lyn/Kingsley about believing the hype surround him.

I'd probably have James Davies as next in line behind Warbs/Tips, really dynamic player who's so good over the ball. Following closely behind would be Ellis Jenkins, more of a grafter, but another huge talent. Not seen much of Young since he left the Blues, but he's making a big impact at one of the top clubs in Europe atm, so must be doing something very right. Navidi's no slouch either, but playing a lot of rugby at 8 has possibly put him down the openside list, but his versatility may be of benefit, especially as a potential impact sub.

Personally if Davies is keen to go to the Olympics let him go. I would give a run to Ellis Jenkins and Thomas Young. Preferably Jenkins.

Nice to see you posting again Cymro! I agree that if Davies is keen to go to the Olympics, he should be allowed. Plenty of players just as deserving to go to NZ. But if he'd prefer a chance to kick-start his international career in a hotly contested position then I wouldn't be surprised. I think most players would see playing for Wales for the first time as a bigger honour, especially if they thought another player may get in there first and restrict future chances. After all, the olympics wouldn't have been a childhood rugby dream for any of them, but playing for Wales would have been.

Last edited:

yea if he wants to go then of course he should. im glad the WRU are happy with him to go if he chooses too. i think jenkins will get the nod, purely due to availability in the future, as he plays in wales

i think jenkins will get the nod, purely due to availability in the future, as he plays in wales

Me too. No danger of Young being poached either, as he's tied to Wales due to U20 appearance v France.

Latest posts