• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Possible Lions dark horses

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
Considering the lack of fit/on form wingers, I don't think Thom Evans is a bad shout for a dark horse.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Schweinsteiger_Webby @ Apr 16 2009, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Considering the lack of fit/on form wingers, I don't think Thom Evans is a bad shout for a dark horse.[/b]
Yeah I think that with the ball that he gets from the better Lions player rather than Scotland he could really flourish. He's so quick and strong so if you can get him in the right position he will score tries

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alexmac @ Apr 17 2009, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Schweinsteiger_Webby @ Apr 16 2009, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Considering the lack of fit/on form wingers, I don't think Thom Evans is a bad shout for a dark horse.[/b]
Yeah I think that with the ball that he gets from the better Lions player rather than Scotland he could really flourish. He's so quick and strong so if you can get him in the right position he will score tries
[/b][/quote]

Yup, he's dreamy. The Magners League try scorers table don't lie.

http://www.magnersleague.com/129_1931.php

That is because Rocky Elsom is the man, and no team has been able to stop him this season, but Munster did manage to slow him down a bit.

Shaun Edwards also payed tribute to Declan Kidney on RC and said that Kidney advised the Lions coaches that under the ELV's, you need to play with 2 fullbacks and a winger instead of two wingers and a fullback.

15. Byrne
14. Armitage
11. Kearney

???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Apr 17 2009, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Another dark horse ....

Gareth Delve[/b]

well they're off to Twickenham to watch the final tomorrow so last chance to impress for him and the likes of Tindall and Roberts.

Well, i think anything can happen, i think there will be some club bias with Meech and Edwards obviously. I think these players that go as dark horses will just be squad players, as they haven't featured as caps lately, but would be handy fall backs. I think a squad of 33-35 and there will be some old dogs in there like Vickery.. they wn't get near the test 22 i hope though.

club bias aside the form of Wasps and the players in question being mentioned doesn't merrit a place on the tour and from the get go the other players will be thinking what the hell is he doing here, he's been shite all season. We've seen nothing from Sackey, Lewsey, Vickery and Cipriani to suggest that they deserve to go on tour. It's one hell of a gamble to hope that these guys can pull it around once they're in that tour environment and we saw what taking too many gambles did 4 years ago.

I don't think there will be to many supprises, as An Tarbh says, we are all to aware of the pitfalls of taking to many gambles!

Although I still reckon Strettle would be a good shout :)

Yes, i agree.. but what SHOULD happen and what WILL happen are two different things, that have never met before. Once you run out of killer, you are just left with filler, and Paul Sackey would do that very well. I'm just saying i think we will all be surprised who is picked to tour. It's not about the top 35 players, because i don't think we will find 35 standouts who will be competing for the starting XV.. it's more about the 22 and the rest are capable deputies.. which is why Quinlan-type players would go.

Once the main 22 is sorted and we are 3-4 deep at maximum, it's also rans who are going to make the reserves/2nd XV and some of them are going to be controversial and undeserving to say the least.. Meech and Edwards will pick who they can rely on although unspectacular, rather than players to set the world alight in this category.

In the past, the likes of Greenwood have been picked before they was even starting club games. And although it's unrelated, Theo Walcott was in that England squad for the WC and he had not even played a senior game for Arsenal. If that can happen in the national game at the world's largest non-olympic sports event, then it can on a Lions tour.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Apr 17 2009, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes, i agree.. but what SHOULD happen and what WILL happen are two different things, that have never met before. Once you run out of killer, you are just left with filler, and Paul Sackey would do that very well. I'm just saying i think we will all be surprised who is picked to tour. It's not about the top 35 players, because i don't think we will find 35 standouts who will be competing for the starting XV.. it's more about the 22 and the rest are capable deputies.. which is why Quinlan-type players would go.

Once the main 22 is sorted and we are 3-4 deep at maximum, it's also rans who are going to make the reserves/2nd XV and some of them are going to be controversial and undeserving to say the least.. Meech and Edwards will pick who they can rely on although unspectacular, rather than players to set the world alight in this category.

In the past, the likes of Greenwood have been picked before they was even starting club games. And although it's unrelated, Theo Walcott was in that England squad for the WC and he had not even played a senior game for Arsenal. If that can happen in the national game at the world's largest non-olympic sports event, then it can on a Lions tour.[/b]

I agree, Although both those examples didn't work out all that well, Greenwood got knocked sparko and Walcott never got near a pitch.

I'm still hoping for 35 players who all have a chance of playing their way into the test side,, Get on tour then get in the team is what I'm hoping the message is.

How about John Barclay? He didnt have a great 6N but his Glasgow form is immense. He scored twice against Llanelli and his work rate is great.

Again, this is what i mean. Not every player can be in favour at test level all at once, and if you keep steady at club level you can expect to be in with a shout, like someone like Barclay. i know who i'd pick, and it'd be for the right reasons.. but rugby, like any other sport has people at the top who seem to think that what they think is the be all and end all. And if that is putting Lewsey on tour, thne it'll happen.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Apr 17 2009, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In the past, the likes of Greenwood have been picked before they was even starting club games. And although it's unrelated, Theo Walcott was in that England squad for the WC and he had not even played a senior game for Arsenal. If that can happen in the national game at the world's largest non-olympic sports event, then it can on a Lions tour.[/b]

And BOD got his first Ireland cap before he got his first Leinster first team cap.

There's an interesting fact for all you fellas there yonder!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 17 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Apr 17 2009, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And BOD got his first Ireland cap before he got his first Leinster first team cap.

There's an interesting fact for all you fellas there yonder!
[/b][/quote]

yeah but understandable considering the only games which Leinster played at that point were the HEC games which were done and dusted by January and he was capped on the Summer tour to Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daylightfire @ Apr 17 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Greenwood got knocked sparko[/b]

Was that the time his mum got a bit hysterical in the dressing room "William! William mummies here .................... Oh what have they done!"

****** myself laughing. Cant believe he isnt reminded of that every day!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Apr 17 2009, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daylightfire @ Apr 17 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Greenwood got knocked sparko[/b]

Was that the time his mum got a bit hysterical in the dressing room "William! William mummies here .................... Oh what have they done!"

****** myself laughing. Cant believe he isnt reminded of that every day!
[/b][/quote]

no doubt Sky are saving that for next week's Rugby Club.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alexmac @ Apr 17 2009, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How about John Barclay? He didnt have a great 6N but his Glasgow form is immense. He scored twice against Llanelli and his work rate is great.[/b]

Only problem is that he only plays for 30 minutes.

Having said that those 30 minutes are pretty damn good. I dont think he will, or should, go but i do think he could become the Scottish McCaw in a few years time (or at least I really hope so)

Latest posts