• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Potential citings for Quarterfinals

Perhaps ITV don't want punches shown to kids watching on TV. Hardly helps the sport's image.

End of the day SOB will be banned 'off camera'

Perhaps ITV don't want punches shown to kids watching on TV. Hardly helps the sport's image.

Poor argument.

And yeah he will be banned off camera (lets see for how long, I have the feeling that it won't be very long...Lets be nice with our Irish cousins, poor them , they have lost enough) but in fact he should have been red carded after 1.30 minutes of the game, this is the reality.

French team was so crap that I'm not even sure it would have helped us to win but it would have been fair to red card him directly...if the event would have been properly shown by the ITV filming team...

That's a kind of puerile response. They don't have any difficulty showing all sorts of other unsavoury stuff when it suits. If they didn't want kids to see nasty bits, the Six nations might have passed without anyone knowing what Liam Williams looks like. Come to that, you wouldn't have seen much of Hartley either, and Cian Healey would have been invisible. I'm not sure what image you think the game has anyway. When you have Hooper picking up a one week ban for an assault, while Tuilagi gets 5 weeks for running too fast, the image, I'd suggest is already pretty tarnished.

Let's be straight lads. He deserves a ban BUT it is no more than a week or 2 that's deserves.

Why does he deserve a ban?

This isn't fukkin wendyball.

- - - Updated - - -

Just seen the punch and have to say what a joke. Cannot believe we are going down this road, first with Tuilagi on a 5 week ban and now SOB for giving someone a bit of biff for holding on to him. Suppose the hand wringers and the terminally upset armchair fans will all be screaming for a "lengthy ban" while those of us who played the game for years can only shake our heads at the stupidity of it all.

Indeed, its all gone crazy.

Its only a matter of time before you've the half-time talking heads saying things like "oooh, there is definite contact there" (as someone is brushed by someone else), "definitely a penalty".

Why does he deserve a ban?

This isn't fukkin wendyball.

It is not boxing either...Hop for at least 3 weeks ban, he should not be allowed to play again for this world cup. Anything less will be biased.

Because that is what the rules say..... maybe?

Really?
[h=1]Law 10.4 - Dangerous Play and Misconduct[/h] (a) Punching or striking.

A player must not strike an opponent with the fist or arm, including the elbow, shoulder, head or knee(s).
Sanction: Penalty kick

See the underlined bit ? I'm not seeing red cards there.

Okay, I keep hearing this story about a finger, that is purely a rumour and a wrong one. From the screenshots you can clearly see Pape has grabbed his side, nowhere near his shorts.
Punch.PNG

Secondly, which is bad news for Schmidt and O'Brien, is that it is clearly a fist. He is in trouble, no questions asked there.
Punch 2.PNG

It is not boxing either...Hop for at least 3 weeks ban, he should not be allowed to play again for this world cup. Anything less will be biased.

How would it be biased? The low entry is 2 weeks and the mid entry 5. It's reasonable enough to expect it to be at the low entry point considering it was a body shot and open palmed. That wouldn't be a biased decision. Either one is possible and acceptable imo.

Also it's an Australian commissioner so I don't know if that falls under your theory about Irish and British citing?

Edit: Just seen saulen's post, looks like a fist in that picture but in the front on angle it looks like an open hand when he actually makes contact. Suppose it's up for the commission to determine.

Last edited:

I would agree, had Pocock not just been let off on a similar offence. Either both should get a ban, or neither.

original

Also it's an Australian commissioner so I don't know if that falls under your theory about Irish and British citing?

His great grandad was sent out to Australia for putting up graffiti on the walls of Dublin castle slagging off Joan D'Arc and Queen Victoria.

And yeah he will be banned off camera (lets see for how long, I have the feeling that it won't be very long...Lets be nice with our Irish cousins, poor them , they have lost enough) but in fact he should have been red carded after 1.30 minutes of the game, this is the reality.

Considering you butchered the last opportunity there was an early red card in an RWC game, it wouldn't have made a difference...:p

To be honest, I think it is just Irish fans hoping for one-week. It looks bad and there is no covering it up so I think he is out of the WC.

I would agree, had Pocock not just been let off on a similar offence. Either both should get a ban, or neither.

original

I would really like to understand in which way it is similar ?? First the welsh player is fully stopping pocock to get back into the game...and secondly, poccok is not even making anything bad behind, there is a fakish move of the knee...Nothing to do with what SOB has done, a world apart...

Punch to the plexus bad, knee to the plexus good? I've said all along that O'Brien should get a ban, I'm not saying he shouldn't. At the same time, a bit of consistency would be nice.

Considering you butchered the last opportunity there was an early red card in an RWC game, it wouldn't have made a difference...:p

Not entirely wrong :p we still won at the end :D and went to the final. I thought the red card against wales was tough and a lot of french people thought so.

To be honest, I think it is just Irish fans hoping for one-week. It looks bad and there is no covering it up so I think he is out of the WC.

This is what I think as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Punch to the plexus bad, knee to the plexus good? I've said all along that O'Brien should get a ban, I'm not saying he shouldn't. At the same time, a bit of consistency would be nice.

And the strength, the premeditation, the precise targeting put in the move ?? Absolutely not the same...

Latest posts