• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Queen Elizabeth II

We're only 24 hours in guys...plenty of time to lose our collective minds.

Although unlike Diana they're more prepared for the news cycle this time. Probably why William is already named Prince of Wales rather than waiting time.

I'm not really the crying sort (puppy training thread excepted), but I found myself with a pretty big lump in my throat at one point and I know others did likewise. Definitely feel a bit reflective. As @Bada-Bing! says it's more the end of an era.

The aftermath of Diana's death was a game changer. But as a society we're forever being encouraged to share our feelings so it's hardly surprising when we see more people react that way. And the cameras are always more likely to pick out the wailers than the quiet contemplators.

As for those who booed the minute's silence they're just the dregs. Doesn't matter who the silence is for or your thoughts on them - no excuse for not outwardly respecting it.

My own opinion is that those crying are more crying for an end of era and what she represented rather than over her actual death - she was 96 at the end of the day.

Mawkishness and outpouring was definitely worse when Diana died, but mostly because of circumstances of her demise. End of the day that was primarily due to her not wearing a seatbelt.
And her driver being 3 sheets to the wind

And her driver being 3 sheets to the wind
Apparently she would still have walked away from it had she worn her seatbelt, despite the the driver being drunk and driving way too fast.

She was thrown forward so violently against the seat in front where Reece Jones was sat, which caused a small tear in chest and in turn the internal bleeding, which she died from. Wearing a seatbelt would have prevented this.

Only have to look at Trevor Reece Jones, who was the only one who survived, who put his on, when he realised Henri Paul was driving way too fast.

Apparently she would still have walked away from it had she worn her seatbelt, despite the the driver being drunk and driving way too fast.

She was thrown forward so violently against the seat in front where Reece Jones was sat, which caused a small tear in chest and in turn the internal bleeding, which she died from. Wearing a seatbelt would have prevented this.

Only have to look at Trevor Reece Jones, who was the only one who survived, who put his on, when he realised Henri Paul was driving way too fast.
yeah the chances of her living would have been exponentially higher but the guy crashing the car is a bigger issue. Always wear your seatbelt, but it shouldn't be considered an intervening event when determining what caused the death.

yeah the chances of her living would have been exponentially higher but the guy crashing the car is a bigger issue. Always wear your seatbelt, but it shouldn't be considered an intervening event when determining what caused the death.
Yes, of course the driver was to blame for being inebriated and should never have been behind the wheel in the first place. But ultimately Diana's responsibility to protect herself and put on her seatbelt. Apparently she broke an arm and was walking and talking post crash, only later did she collapse because of the tear in her chest, and die post surgery.

Even Diana's sister is on record to say she normally did and could not understand why she didn't that night. Probably too distracted by the chasing paparazzi. One of those would have, could have, should have moments in history.

Cricket got it right whilst Football bottelled it.

It being ******* everywhere is what I expected thankfully in this modern age you can actually escape it if you wish (unless you were a football fan at the weekend), Diana was way worse as it was just bloody relentless for everyone. All hail the internet and video streaming!

Zero communications yesterday from work about the bank holiday, hell zero communications about it general. Usually their pretty good at this stuff so it kinda sucks they've ignored UK employees (as well anywhere else she was the monarch of). The bank holiday bothers me more though I need to actually move a bunch of meetings as I'm off Friday and I can't plan as I don't know if I'll be in Monday or not.

It's embarrassing enough the North Korean level of propaganda you see with the Queens face plastered over everything but to be arresting, or moving on, peaceful protesters is just next level. Makes me ashamed.
Apparently police are stating one law for arresting them under then changing it after. Yeh absolutely shameful way to silence and remove peaceful protesting.

It being ******* everywhere is what I expected thankfully in this modern age you can actually escape it if you wish (unless you were a football fan at the weekend), Diana was way worse as it was just bloody relentless for everyone. All hail the internet and video streaming!

Zero communications yesterday from work about the bank holiday, hell zero communications about it general. Usually their pretty good at this stuff so it kinda sucks they've ignored UK employees (as well anywhere else she was the monarch of). The bank holiday bothers me more though I need to actually move a bunch of meetings as I'm off Friday and I can't plan as I don't know if I'll be in Monday or not.
Absolutely and it created a martyr out of her, which is why the whole why wasn't she wearing a seatbelt got completely lost in the whole conspiracy nonsense and hysteria perpetuated at the time and since.

Didn't your company make clear UK employees should take it out of their holiday allowance instead as a way around it?

Apparently police are stating one law for arresting them under then changing it after. Yeh absolutely shameful way to silence and remove peaceful protesting.
So funny how the right go on about free speech and go around calling everyone on the left snowflakes but get so offended at the mildest statements that are contrary to their core beliefs. It's almost like they're the snowflakes.

Didn't your company make clear UK employees should take it out of their holiday allowance instead as a way around it?
They haven't said a word just what I would expect to happen to some of us. We also have people on old contracts that just say they get all bank holidays in addition to their normal leave so they have to have it off regardless.

They haven't said a word just what I would expect to happen to some of us. We also have people on old contracts that just say they get all bank holidays in addition to their normal leave so they have to have it off regardless.
Nuts. Yeh it boils down to what the individual employment contract says. No wonder your firm is keeping quiet and not giving a blanket yes or no.

Last edited:
We've had ours confirmed - as it's a national bank holiday they're not taking it out of our holiday allowance, which I was surprised about

We had a glut of patients cancelling - about 2/3 of the day's worth, so we decided to cancel the rest and get the garden in order

I read even Australia are giving next Monday off as a public holiday. Maybe @Kiwiwomble can confirm?
Thursday the 22nd is a one off public holiday, our official delegation will return and then they're doing a ceremony at parliament…hence the delay

They actual funeral is obviously going to be overnight for us so don't need the day at actually watch