• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - Italy vs England (11/02/2012, 16:00)

Lets get Billy Vunipola called up - he was ridiculous against Saracens today, smashed anything and everything in his way, and he's only just out of nappies.

He's not ready, anyways plenty of time to develop at club level. Arguably he's only playing because Wasps can't afford anyone better... I doubt he'd make his way into the first 15 of any other premiership club.

I was only joking :p

Looks a great prospect for the future though - think he's only 19.

Were Toby Faletau, George North or Scott Williams ready?

that is a different situation as they were both the best players, it's different from picking some 20 year old with potential who isn't the best player in that position at the time

Faletau was putting great performances regularly in the Magners League and Wales' number 8's were Jon Thomas, Powelly and Ryan Jones (the first two are pants and the latter is no longer quick enough for an 8 and now more suited to 6 or 4), so he was quite obviously the best choice by some distance and did well from the start with Wales

whilst when George North was called up, Wales had Halfpenny injured at the time, so considering Cardiff Blues reserve Chris Czekaj was called up in North's debut, we were pretty short on wingers and North who had scored several tries early season was the best option and did well from the start with Wales

Did anyone see the Quins play? In my eyes Nick Easter really should of been in the squad he has been fantastic since the world cup. He is proven and i really think he is the best No. 8 in the country we could do with his experience against wales. He was dropped to early he should of been in the squad.

Just wanted to throw that in there as i have been watching Easter closely and i really think he is playing the best rugby of his life.

He may be playing the best rugby of his life but I'd still not have him near the England squad.
I've seen some people say Borthwick should be brought back in - took us long enough to get rid of these two, lets not even joke about this :(

He may be playing the best rugby of his life but I'd still not have him near the England squad.

why? he's been the form number 8 in England this season, and is one of the best number 8's at tidying up crap ball at the back of poor scrums

He's selfish with the ball, slow, lazy and poor at the breakdown. His saving grace is that he's a good catcher in the lineout/from the restarts, often making some ridiculous one handed takes.
He may be playing well atm, but that's a flash in the pan compared to all the dross he's served up over the years.

But he has also been the worst number 8 in the 6 nations for some time now. England need to look at different options, maybe have him in the squad as cover at most.

Agree guys i have seen Easter have bad games but is Dowson better at the moment? I dunno<_<

But he has also been the worst number 8 in the 6 nations for some time now

Come on thats unfair Welshglory. He has faults but that statement without any evidence or qualified reasoning is a bit OTT.

I don't know man. Who would you say hes been better out of the 6 nations? Sure hes put in some good performances but as far as talent and ability goes he lacks it compared to the other guys.

Would you say hes better than any of

Parisse, Zanni, Ryan Jones, Andy Powell, Jamie Heaslip, Harinordoquy, Picamoles, Johnnie Beattie,

Welshglory i see what your saying but i think we both agree he should be in the squad at least :). As there is a question mark on Morgan lasting all game. People not convinced about Dowson so it makes sense to have Easter.

As there is a question mark on Morgan lasting all game.
Literally only by Peat, though!
Agree guys i have seen Easter have bad games but is Dowson better at the moment? I dunno<_<
It's six of one and half a dozen of another.
Neither are great options but I'd pick Dowson over Easter for the simple fact he isn't Easter. It's a fresh slate and all that. He did better against Italy than against Scotland, so hopefully he will continue to improve (though off of the bench, next time...)
We already know exactly what Easter will bring to the table.

And this is why I hate England fans.

Easter is a shockingly over-rated cart horse. But lets call him up. After all, Dowson is only a stop gap and Morgan is clearly not worthy of a proper chance. While we're at it, let's have Mears, Borthwick, Moody, Perry, Wilkinson, Noon, Tindall, Cueto, Varndell and Balshaw back in the team. There's progress.

Easter is much better than Powell who main skill is to run sideways, and Johnnie Beattie who has gone from a promising number 8 to a lazy lump who struggles to get on the Glasgow bench even though Richie Vernon left and at number 8 the current version of Ryan Jones who now more suited to 6 or 4

there are lots of good number 8's in the 6 Nations, to be honest whoever England pick is likely to be the worst of the 6 Nations

I think you have been harsh on Easter TRF_Olyy, I've seen him behind a Harlequins scrum this season going rapidly backwards yet manage to make yards he shouldn't have done and give QUins forward ball from going backwards

It's not as if England are picking a quality player like Parisse etc ahead of him either, it's Dowson who hasn't been that impressive and is normally a flanker

Easter was named best number 8 of this season's Heineken Cup by the way

He might not have been in the best of nick, but calling Beattie a lazy lump is hardly a befitting or accurate description of him.

To add to Olyy, Easter's too old. He's not got as much scope for improvement as Morgan, Narraway or even Waldrom has. Sometimes it's better to take a small short-term hit in quality so that you can develop and bring on the game of younger players.

Is it just me

I may be mistaken but dont Sarries play Farrel and Barrit with Farrel at 13 and Barrit at 12. I only ask because if Farrel wasnt kicking I dont think I would have known he was playing and Barrit seems good in defence but in attack seems conspicuous by his absence.

Why would Lancaster et al play them the other way round when its been such a succesful partnership at Sarries. Is Jordan Turner Hall a better option at 12 with Farell moving to 13 or should we keep this team and see what Flood can do if/ when he comes back?

have you not seen him play for Glasgow lately? he has even admitted last year he wasn't "motivated" for Rabo PRO12 matches

a big fall for him after being a good player in 2010 to now warming the Glasgow bench behind Ryan Wilson

'Have you not seen him play for Glasgow lately?'

Of course I bloody have, I wouldn't be bloody commenting if I hadn't, would I?

I'd bet my bottom dollar that the comments you refer to we're made round the world cup period, and him missing out due to injury. I'd also be gutted if I missed out in the world cup if I were mismanaged like he was, but it hardly turned him into this useless oaf of a player you refer to him as. Especially as Lineen tried in vain to play him earlier in the season when still hadn't recovered properly, leaving him to be cast out for a while before making an appearance off the bench (against a Welsh team I think) in which he was the best of our back rowers when on IMO. I long ago stopped trying to wrap my head around Lineen's selection policies, many of the shining lights (Hogg, Weir, Ryder, etc) this season have been down to the regulars not been available. I wouldn't gauge a player based on what Lineen thinks of him, that's for sure.

One can criticise Scottish players all day for not being up to the level of other nations, but I'd be ****ed by Borat before I stop defending their efforts when the defence is warranted.

Latest posts