Feicarsinn

Super Αdmin
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
6Nations.jpg

Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (17/03/2012, 14:45)

Wales.png
Versus Magners.png
France.png

So we meet again.
I'm so sorry this isn't quite the "finals" of the tournament we were all so eagerly waiting for...we stumbled across a dumb tie and a terribly disappointing loss at home before this...but we're now challengers in Cardiff.
Que le meilleur gagne. May the best team win.

Of all the teams to be playing with a Slam on the line the last I'd choose is France. This match could go any which way. While you'd expect the Welsh to take it, if France start with Trinh-Duc and drop Rougerie, they could be a completely different team than the one that player against England.

Vincent Clerc has been ruled out with a shoulder injury. Gutted because I do like watching him play.

Squad of 24 retained for the game:
Poux, Mas, Debaty, Attoub;
Servat, Szarszewski;
Pierre, Papé, Maestri;
Bonnair, Dusautoir, Harinordoquy, Picamoles, Ouedraogo;
Yachvili, Parra;
Trinh-Duc, Beauxis;
Fofana, Rougerie, Fritz;
Buttin, Palisson, Poitrenaud.

Left out from the England game: Nallet, Dupuy, Mermoz, Clerc (through injury) and Malzieu.

Some big calls there.

Squad of 24 retained for the game:
Poux, Mas, Debaty, Attoub;
Servat, Szarszewski;
Pierre, Papé, Maestri;
Bonnair, Dusautoir, Harinordoquy, Picamoles, Ouedraogo;
Yachvili, Parra;
Trinh-Duc, Beauxis;
Fofana, Rougerie, Fritz;
Buttin, Palisson, Poitrenaud.

Left out from the England game: Nallet, Dupuy, Mermoz, Clerc (through injury) and Malzieu.

Some big calls there.

no Malzieu?

stupid

Where did Buttin come from? Was he just called up or has he been apart of the squad?

No idea what Dupuy was doing in the matchday 22 as it was, let alone starting against England.

Where did Buttin come from? Was he just called up or has he been apart of the squad?

first time he is called in the group, he is playing for Clermont and seems very promising. Very young as well (19 I think) which is quite rare in the french team.

I think I'm right in saying that we're pretty much guaranteed the championship, the only question is whether it comes with a Slam or not. The points difference is realistically too much for England to make up, although theoretically not impossible.

This should take some pressure off the Welsh players, because it won't be the end of the world if the Slam doesn't come our way (and I'm sure Gatland will drum this into their heads). France is always a difficult match, especially when you look at our record against them, but I couldn't think of a better way to go into a Grand Slam match, with a remarkably large points difference cushion (as far as 6 nations go), and into what should be an exciting and open game.

I'm not nervous, just excited. Not because I think we'll definitely win, but because as far as international rugby goes, this is as close to a win, win situation there is. Although losing by a big score, and England winning by a big score, resulting in England winning the championship would be totally heart-breaking.

1st selection, he is playing for Clermont and seems very promising. Very young as well (19 I think) which is quite rare in the french team.

Ah i see. I've seen a few youtube tributes and he does look very promising. He seems to play a similar game to Lee Byrne (08 season).
A 6'4 fullback is always very useful!

Think Buttin can play wing or fullback. Interesting to see Fritz in the squad as well.

Yachvili was injured
Yachvili has played for the last 2 weekends for Biarritz. There's been a bit of a hoo-haa in France claiming the powers that be are deciding against calling him up so he can help BO stay clear of relegation - he's scored about 40 points in their last 2 fixtures...

Last edited:
Think Buttin can play wing or fullback. Interesting to see Fritz in the squad as well.

Not really for Fritz. 28 years old, has never been very good with the french team (does not mean he is not a good player with Toulouse), we have David or Bastaraud (Mermoz and Fofana are already around) behind him that are younger and good enough. I do not understand this selection, it is pretty useless.

It is an overall french problem this selection of Fritz. during this time, wales is selecting georges north at 18years old, Scotland is selcting hogg at 19 years old, I do not know what is the age of Owen farrel for England but he is young, no doubt...this choice of players for the Wales match is completely crap, I'm gutted. we continue in same mistakes...

Ooh didn't know that my apologies. Im guessing Serge Blanco might know a few people at the top and is pulling some strings.

Not really for Fritz. 28 years old, has never been very good with the french team (does not mean he is not a good player with Toulouse), we have David or Bastaraud (Mermoz and Fofana are already around) behind him that are younger and good enough. I do not understand this selection, it is pretty useless.

It is an overall french problem this selection of Fritz. during this time, wales is selecting georges north at 18years old, Scotland is selcting hogg at 19 years old, I do not know what is the age of Owen farrel for England but he is young, no doubt...this choice of players for the Wales match is completely crap, I'm gutted. we continue in same mistakes...

Interesting i do think France should have taken Fritz and Jauzion to the world cup though

Agree with your comments around David & Basteraud, thats why I thought the selection of Fritz was interesting, he isn't the person I thought they would bring in.

I don't think it's that much of a disaster. It's a one-off call up for the final game of the championship. Rougerie will move out to where he belongs on the wing to replace Clerc and Fofana will be in the centre with an actual midfielder who is experienced and knows what he's doing at international level. Fritz scored a good try on the weekend too, so it's not like he's past it or off form. Pretty decent call if you ask me.

Latest posts