ratsapprentice

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
http://www.espn.co.uk/premiership-2014-15/rugby/story/241241.html

Aviva Premiership clubs will be allowed to recruit an additional marquee player ahead of the 2015-16 season and will have an additional £500,000 available in the salary cap.

At present the salary cap is £5m in the Premiership with clubs permitted to sign one marquee player whose wages are outside of that limitation. But The Times claims those rules will change ahead of next season with the salary cap rising to £5.5m - £1m up on where it was two years ago - as the inevitable post-World Cup merry-go-round kicks in.
The additional marquee player has to be recruited from overseas but could theoretically be English; it could pave the way for Steffon Armitage to return to the Premiership for example. Other clubs have already been linked with high profile recruits for the 2015-16 campaign with Bath rumoured to have agreed a deal to sign Wallabies scrum-half Will Genia.

After all this I don't know if I want Armitage back.

Kvesic by that time will hopefully be there by that time.

Will be interesting to see who teams target.

Leicester I'm not sure maybe a 7 (if Matera joins the super rugby Argie team), 8 and maybe another 13/wing.

Props we are fine for when all fit and the yound academy lads are getting game time now and looking like they have lots of potential.

Guessing maybe looking at a SH player who didn't get into the World cup squad could be a idea for a season to help with the world cup as some of the internationals will be tired.

maybe the likes of Brussow, Briad or maybe a prop if we look at it as a short term thing.

and then after the world cup season is done look for more of a long term signing.

Reckon the likes of Parling and Deacon will be off after the WC, so maybe try and juggle the cap around and get some cap to replace them with some experienced players.

Who knows.

I find it hard to believe that Armitage wasn't offered Marquee contracts when he re-signed with Toulon.
It's still possible that he doesn't actually want to play for France - highly, highly unlikely though.

Pretty sure that Genia is still very much our main target.

I have a feeling that a fair few of the signings will be made on the back of RWC performances.

I find it hard to believe that Armitage wasn't offered Marquee contracts when he re-signed with Toulon.
It's still possible that he doesn't actually want to play for France - highly, highly unlikely though.

Pretty sure that Genia is still very much our main target.

I have a feeling that a fair few of the signings will be made on the back of RWC performances.

Yep expect there to be keen eyes on the lesser "known nations".

Sure cockers will be asking Freddie Tuailgi to be doing the rounds on the South sea islanders for him. (before Deano try's to get him).

I really wish rugby journalists would stop shoehorning Steffon Armitage into every single piece they can. He's happy in Toulon and England are happy not picking him when he's there. There is no evidence to suggest he wants to return to the Premiership for any money. In fact, if he is does want to play for France he isn't going to move home for any reason. As Rats says, the idea that he hasn't been offered a marquee contract is mad. It's just that he's still going to be paid more and have a better quality of life in France.

Rant over.

Couldn't agree more, mate. ^^

Also agree, Tigs, that there'll be more signings from Tier 2 nations than there have been previously.
I reckon it's going to become quite the showcase for them now.

I must be honest I don't think that the 500k will be spent on new players. I think it will go on trying to keep English guys over here honestly, players like Launchbury and Corbisiero will probably be offered big new contracts from here and abroad. Obviously not all of the money would go on renewing contracts but I think a large amount will go on keeping the english talent in england

Latest posts