• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland v Ireland, 24/02/13

Where'd you hear that?

Oh no he wasn't officially asked by the IRFU or anything - but he was a pundit months ago on a match and they were talking about Kidney, and jokingly asked O'Shea would he take the job if the IRFU came knocking and I'm pretty sure he said no I don't think so.

Well lets not forget O'Shea has a good thing with more money at Quins, can keep on his TV work, is still involved with RFU in some ways and well has already stated its not for him at moment. IRFU can't be blamed for that

We'll see what happens they have to allow Kidney's contract to run out first.

Oh no he wasn't officially asked by the IRFU or anything - but he was a pundit months ago on a match and they were talking about Kidney, and jokingly asked O'Shea would he take the job if the IRFU came knocking and I'm pretty sure he said no I don't think so.

Public denial is no surprise; given some of the rumours I've heard about the irfu tho, wouldn't be surprised if he were telling the truth.

Yeah that's what I thought you were talking about. Today it was suggested to him seemed he was modestly putting it down but considers it a possibility.

Well **** that for a game of soldiers.

Ireland played well in patches but were lost without Sexton.. we are ****ed up **** creek without a paddle and now without a rudder.

Kidney out.

And Rodge to be declared enemy of the state.

It's weird to see Maitland in a Scottish jersey.

Weird...and wonderful!

Didn't notice him (or any of the Scots backs for that matter. Lamont was particularly anonymous) much during the game til someone mentioned he had a great game. Went back and watched it- he got through a power of work today and was one of our best players. He supports attacks and kicks so well. He must have been off and running all the way over to the opposite wing the moment ROG went for that ill-fated kick.

Great 'find' for Scotland.

I have spent the whole day in the pub drowning my sorrows and almost dying someone kill kidney

60660_rogwtf.gif
This.. makes me sick as a dog

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying here...what, coz I don't like Owen Farrell ? I don't have the right to dislike Farrell ??...What gif ?!...

No, wasn't talking about you not liking Farrell, Yoe, was talking about some of my compatriots not rating him. Just wanted to show them a 10 who doesn't know what the hell he's doing as a comparison. I meant the GIF you posted of ROG, hadn't seen someone had posted it before. :)

Kidney can't be blamed for us not winning, we had the opportunity but couldn't take it, not really his fault. What is his fault is the inadequate team rotation and selection over the last 3 years. Had Jackson been played on the bench against both SA and Argentina, then he would have had the experience that would have given him more confidence in this game. Although everyone was happy to see Kidney had dropped ROG, as it turns out, he still had a hugely negative effect on the performance.

Right, this, this has been griping me all night at work and I have to respond. Yes you can blame him. Not solely, he wasn't the guy making a ridiculous amount of errors, but he was the guy that set the scenario and sent out several error prone units that could have been reinforced.

Examples

Lineout - Problem was Best got the yips largely down to just how much better Scotland's jumpers were - Solution, either or both of Toner and Henderson could have started, giving Ireland superior targets.

Goal kicking - A raw guy who hasn't kicked in ages missed a lot of kicks - Solution, either pick one of the regular kickers, or have McFadden on hand to provide his goal kicking expertise

Failing to convert breaks - Keith Earls guilty of tunnel vision on a few occasions - Solution, don't pick him, it's not news.

I could go on, first two at least could have been easily foreseen. Kidney should get his fair share of the blame.

But then Peat, you've got to confess for a total neutral, and I do mean total, it was entertaining to watch. Maybe the good coach from Ireland just wanted to keep it close. :)

Not wanting to upset our Irish friends one bit, do feel for you guys, it was one of those games where you couldn't take your eyes off. Ireland have to score from there...... no wait on. Look at that break from the centre.... no hang on...... Oh, a really kickable penalty...... no wait on they've kicked for touch. Then there was the "What the **** was Mr Kidney going to do next?" factor.

Not taking one thing away from Scotland, they showed serious heart, but Ireland were, by far, the better side. And they butchered it.

Whats the deal with Sexton, how much longer is he out for? If hes not back for France I'd probably go with 10. Madigin 11. McFadden 12.Marshal with PJ on the bench.
If sexton is fit I'd like to see Fitzy have a shot at 11 he didn't really get to do much yesterday and has been on good form, I'd like to see him make a return.

On the lineout I have to agree with Peat Toner should have been picked, I know this is 20/20 hindsight but as a national couch whose job is to pick and coach a winning team you think he would have noticed the Fact that our lineout was a lot shorter.

Have to disagree as I don't think Toner would've offered much apart from lineout and even for that he isn't a guaranteed ball winner.
Also think McFadden isn't answer at wing. People say Earls is best at wing and same goes for McFadden at centre but he shouldn't be in at 11 just to kick at goal either. Madigan should've started yesterday on form but its hard to see a lot of changes for France. sexton will return and maybe 1/2 more but wont be much change

Yeah having said that Toner would have been a good option I forgot to mention that his lack of rucking ect. would be detriment. It's true hes not a 100% ball winner but he is more comparable in size to Hamilton and Grey making him just a little more competitive. It would have been harsh on DOC who has been in much better form this season. Also I really noticed how much we miss POC yesterday with lineouts going wrong it's just something thats not happen to us in a very long time.

On Earls, he is a fantastic wing but he just dosen't seem to be on form I'd love to see him playing how he did at RWC again. I feel like he needs some time away from the Irish set up tbh. MM you probably know this but is it true that he actually prefers playing center?

Yes it's true he told Penney he only wants to be 13 and in fairness was doing ok there for us but big step up to international level and he's not there at centre yet but has it for wing. I agree he isn't full of confidence but who is in Irish set up. And regards Toner, he just isn't up to it physically which means he'd have his fair share of problems at lineout as in at this level the pressure is that bit more. POC is badly missed in calling where to throw as he studies and identifies strengths and weakness of the opposition at lineout. I'm all for giving form a go ie Madigan but Toner no.

A few more thoughts.

- Toner is not an option. He is barely Pro12 level 2nd row, nowhere near HEC class and on a different planet from test-match level. That "discussion" should be straight out buried.

- Keith Earls has awareness issues. Normally that is hidden on the wing, but when entering multi-phase play it can be shown up. Are his undoubted ball skills enough to offset that? Given the form of Luke Fitz and the possible need for a goal-kicking McFadden, I can't make the case for him playing vs. France. Another goal-kicking option would be Keatley at 15, its not as if Kearney is setting the turf alight at the minute - but don't expect the pundits to even suggest that.

- I would very much like to see Henderson in for POM. POM is not playing very badly, but I feel he is not adding much either. [Well, really, I'd like to see SOB at 6, but given our lineout issues, having a tall 6 in there might be a good compromise]

- Murray needs a good kick up the hole, told to speed up and also needs taught how to kick a ball - his technique is shocking. Reddan was noticeably smoother and quicker at the base in the last 5-10 mins. Again, I'd very much like to see Reddan in vs. France.

- If the lineout is iffy, and the Scottish mid jumpers are getting up - go short. Bad, bad calling of the lineout and not for the first time this year either.

No, wasn't talking about you not liking Farrell, Yoe, was talking about some of my compatriots not rating him. Just wanted to show them a 10 who doesn't know what the hell he's doing as a comparison. I meant the GIF you posted of ROG, hadn't seen someone had posted it before. :)

Oh I haven't posted a GIF with O'Gara here...ever. Got me mixed up with someone else...

Luke Fitz for Earls is fair call as he's on form but people calling for guys based on no form or just for 1 role such as goal kicking or lineout only.

Luke Fitz for Earls is fair call as he's on form but people calling for guys based on no form or just for 1 role such as goal kicking or lineout only.

I'd much rather have Mcfadden than Fitz. He's been in good form for Leinster and has never had a bad game for Ireland with Earls, in form or not being picked ahead of him. I prefer him in the centre but he's more than up to it at wing.

Latest posts