• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa squad for England tests

I think the spine of the team is already there.

With Beast and Jannie the incumbents, Steenkamp and Mujati class overseas players that might get in at a pinch or if we are traveling that route and with Greyling, Kruger and Oosthuizen the local back-up and Kitshoof along with Cilliers good prospects for the future (I suppose you can lump both Oosthuizen and Nel in that category as well)

Between Bismarck and Strauss we have very handy hookers and Chiliboy has always made a positive impact off the bench if it comes to that. I wouldn't mind Chili on the bench one bit even though I think Strauss and Du Plessis are the best choices for starting.

We are a tad green at lock but Bekker has been around the block and if he can stay fit for once (pity he got injured so much and he hasn't been the tower of strength this year that he was in 2010/11). Etzebeth is the one rookie that simply has to get a starting berth straight off the bat. There's just no 2 ways about it IMO. With Van der Merwe and Kruger experienced back-up if not maybe test experience.

We have been ravaged WRT backrow injuries but should still be able to field a decent line-up that should at least gain parity with most other nations. I just hope our selections in this area is up to scratch. If all were fit I'd be very tempted to take a whole host of backrow rookies overseas at the end of the year. Between Brussow, Burger, Spies, Smith, Alberts and Deysel's experience and the form and hunger of J Potgieter, Stander, Coetzee and Kolisi... Also to consider is Vermeulen, D Potgieter, J Strauss, Van der Walt and Labuschagne at the Cheetahs who had an amazing CC last year but hasn't had any chance this year with injury.

I don't think van der Walt has been that poor. Ashley Johnson seems to be only thought of as an impact player. I haven't seen enough of his this season to judge, but his tackling was rather poor last season.
England are still working on their pack, and they were made to look better than what they are against Ireland.

I rate Steenkamp quite highly, but would avoid calling up non-SA based players wherever possible. This goes for Mujati as well. Francois Steyn is supposed to be returning to South Africa, but there seems to be little news lately.

Lwazi mvovo has done enough to warrant a start. He's the form SA winger IMO.
Is frans steyn up for selection?

I think keegan Daniel should get picked he's on good form and there's not too much else. He's a very good team player(sets up a lot of tries) seems quite unselfishHe's also the man

Last edited by a moderator:
How has Werner Kruger been getting on?
Jannie is a good player for us, but I don't think he is really up to par for an international.
Beast has been in great form since returning from injury, still going with him over Oosthuizen.

Habana at 13? If you want your openside wing to get no ball! Fourie leaving has caused a bit of a problem. Ebersohn, de Jongh, and Jordaan are all good talents, but have plenty to work on. I am told that Jan Serfontein is the future greatest centre by Bulls fans...
Unfortunately some people do not understand and like the Mujati/BJ Botha incident I fear the same is going to happen. That is what the policies say unfortunately so beast will be there. No other way around it.

I think the spine of the team is already there.

With Beast and Jannie the incumbents, Steenkamp and Mujati class overseas players that might get in at a pinch or if we are traveling that route and with Greyling, Kruger and Oosthuizen the local back-up and Kitshoof along with Cilliers good prospects for the future (I suppose you can lump both Oosthuizen and Nel in that category as well)

Between Bismarck and Strauss we have very handy hookers and Chiliboy has always made a positive impact off the bench if it comes to that. I wouldn't mind Chili on the bench one bit even though I think Strauss and Du Plessis are the best choices for starting.

We are a tad green at lock but Bekker has been around the block and if he can stay fit for once (pity he got injured so much and he hasn't been the tower of strength this year that he was in 2010/11). Etzebeth is the one rookie that simply has to get a starting berth straight off the bat. There's just no 2 ways about it IMO. With Van der Merwe and Kruger experienced back-up if not maybe test experience.

We have been ravaged WRT backrow injuries but should still be able to field a decent line-up that should at least gain parity with most other nations. I just hope our selections in this area is up to scratch. If all were fit I'd be very tempted to take a whole host of backrow rookies overseas at the end of the year. Between Brussow, Burger, Spies, Smith, Alberts and Deysel's experience and the form and hunger of J Potgieter, Stander, Coetzee and Kolisi... Also to consider is Vermeulen, D Potgieter, J Strauss, Van der Walt and Labuschagne at the Cheetahs who had an amazing CC last year but hasn't had any chance this year with injury.
Burger was actually moved to 7 this year. It is a shame Coster got injured as he can play no. 8 and on the wing.

I would go
1. Sports ministers Loto Pick/Coenie
2.BDP
3. JDP
4. F. van der Merwe
5. Bekker
6. H. Brussow
7. K. Daniel
8. M. Coetzee

9. Hougaard
10. Megaboot Steyn
11. Ludik
12. JdV
13. Taute
14. Aplon
15. Lambie/Joe "Dirt" Petersen

16. Maruis Jonker
17. Meisiekind/De Jongh
18. Mvovo
19. Habana
20. CJ Stander
21. Ginger Ninja
22. Lotto Pick no 2/Coenie

Last edited:

I think keegan Daniel should get picked he's on good form and there's not too much else. He's a very good team player(sets up a lot of tries) seems quite unselfishHe's also the man
Mvovo: Yes, been in good form, but Habana might have him in defence and other aspects around the field.
Daniel: Not at all. His form has been varied, but nothing to warrant selection over the other wing forwards.

Francois Steyn, it is my understanding, will be involved.

Personally I don't think Mvovo gives so much more on attack compared to Aplon, Petersen and even Habana to make up for the loss in workrate and defense.

Frans Steyn is set to play 2 of the 3 tests but is getting married on 1 of them; I can't remember if it was the first or last but I think it's the last one he'll miss.

Daniel is a good player but IMO there are better option particularly if we are looking beyond the incumbent loosies. Maybe I just don't like his attitude and he has a tendency to give away very silly penalties.

engsa.gif

Forwards (22): Coenie Oosthuizen, Tendai Mtawarira, Dean Greyling, Jannie du Plessis, Pat Cilliers, Werner Kruger, Bismarck du Plessis, Adriaan Strauss, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Flip van der Merwe, Eben Etzebeth, Andries Bekker, Juandré Kruger, Marcell Coetzee, CJ Stander, Heinrich Brüssow, Keegan Daniel, Willem Alberts, Jean Deysel, Pierre Spies, Ryan Kankowski, Josh Strauss.

Backs (20): Francois Hougaard, Jano Vermaak, Piet van Zyl, Morné Steyn, Pat Lambie, Elton Jantjies, Peter Grant, Wynand Olivier, Jean de Villiers, Juan de Jongh, JJ Engelbrecht, Bryan Habana, Bjorn Basson, JP Pietersen, Gio Aplon, Lwazi Mvovo, Akona Ndungane, Zane Kirchner, Jaco Taute, Joe Pietersen.

Meyer named his 42 man squad which includes a few surprise inclusions and exclusions. Ryan Kankowski for one is pretty baffling since he hasn't played one minute of Super Rugby this season, would've thought that maybe Siya Kolisi had done enough in his debut season to be named. Jean Deysel is another Sharks player with little playing time this season, whilst Pat Cilliers seems a bit lucky to be named especially with the Stormers front row showing a lot great ability.

Kind of shocked that Dewaldt Duvenage has been omitted, I think he's South Africa's second best scrumhalf playing in Super Rugby. He has a real smooth passing game and is really quick to the rucks and has a better than average kicking game. Would rate Charl Mcleod better than Vermaak as well.

Source: http://www.supersport.com/rugby/springboks/news/120524/Meyer_starts_to_show_his_thinking

No real surprises except maybe for Kanko (although we do lack a little bit of depth in terms of dedicated 8th men at the moment).
Akona and Peter G getting the form nod but I doubt they will crack the 22.

Zane Kirchner in predictable, hopefully he'll be second choice to Joe Pietersen (or third choice if Lambie starts).
Great to see JJ make the squad (deserving IMO) but once again it's unlikely he'll make the match 22.

All in all looks good. No complaints from my side, I'm a bit peeved to not see Siya Kolisi somewhere but he hasn't been better than Stander or Coetze so it is understandable.
No issues with Duvenage not being their, I thought he's had a middling to low performing season and the three scrummies on offer are almost definitely our best.

No real surprises except maybe for Kanko (although we do lack a little bit of depth in terms of dedicated 8th men at the moment).
Akona and Peter G getting the form nod but I doubt they will crack the 22.

Zane Kirchner in predictable, hopefully he'll be second choice to Joe Pietersen (or third choice if Lambie starts).
Great to see JJ make the squad (deserving IMO) but once again it's unlikely he'll make the match 22.

All in all looks good. No complaints from my side, I'm a bit peeved to not see Siya Kolisi somewhere but he hasn't been better than Stander or Coetze so it is understandable.
No issues with Duvenage not being their, I thought he's had a middling to low performing season and the three scrummies on offer are almost definitely our best.

Agree 100%. My sentiments exactly. Just hope F Steyn is still set to play the 2 tests they indicated. Apart from that considering injuries and some players overseas not coming into contention I don't have an issue with the 42 although it'll be interesting to see what the actual match day line-up is going to look like.

... but Kanko? Anyway, I ams ure he'll not make the 22 and not even the 42 when any of Vermeulen, J Potgieter, Smith and Burger are fit. Would have liked to see Kolisi get just reward ahead of Kanko/Deysel but I'm sure he'll get his chance.

Last edited:
Agree 100%. My sentiments exactly. Just hope F Steyn is still set to play the 2 tests they indicated. Apart from that considering injuries and some players overseas not coming into contention I don't have an issue with the 42 although it'll be interesting to see what the actual match day line-up is going to look like.

... but Kanko? Anyway, I ams ure he'll not make the 22 and not even the 42 when any of Vermeulen, J Potgieter, Smith and Burger are fit. Would have liked to see Kolisi get just reward ahead of Kanko/Deysel but I'm sure he'll get his chance.

That supersport article mentioned that Frans Steyn and Ruan Pienaar would most likely join the squad the next week

That calms my nerves, tx... I should probably read the articles through in the future...

Did you watch Boots & All last night? They said that that was just a training squad of Super 15 players and that Heyneke will pick a final squad next week with Overseas players also in the squad...

They mentioned Mujati as one of the guys that might join the squad too...

My 22 for the English:

1. Beast (he, Oosthuizen or Greyling could start and I'll still be happy)
2. Bismarck (Strauss can't run over him like he did over Strauss on Saturday)
3. Kruger (or Dr du Plessis, I heard rumours of Coenie maybe playing tighthead? wouldn't mind having him there)
4. Etzebeth (obvious choice)
5. Bekker (not completely on form yet but I think it's just a matter of time)
6. Brussouw (we probably need a fetcher)
7. Coetzee (Alberts is not on form yet and misses too many tackles)
8. Strauss (definition of unfair - if Spies gets chosen and he doesn't. If Spies is in his 2009 form then yea obviously him)

9. Hougaard (obvious choice)
10. Lambie (you can't compare his defense to that of Steyn and I don't see a difference between their goal kicking this season honestly)
11. Mvovo (yea Habana is getting some form back, but this guy has been on form the entire season!)
12. F Steyn (power, x factor, kicking. I think he is a must there)
13. de Villiers (I suppose. JDJ is good, but too selfish I'd say)
14. Pietersen (stronger than Basson on defense, but anyone of them could do)
15. Taute (when last did we have a freakin' running fulback? Sorry but I don't rate Pietersen)

16. Strauss (just that bit better than Chili)
17. Coenie (or Greyling, don't mind)
18. Kruger (he really deserves a chance)
19. Alberts (or Spies. If Deysel gets more game time then I'd pick him)
20. van Zyl (didn't know who he was at the start of the season, but really took notice)
21. M Steyn (luckily Lambie and F Steyn can play almost anywhere, M Steyn can take over kicking if we were to lose Lambie)
22. Aplon (can cover wing and fullback. I would concider JDJ as well seeing that Lambie and F Steyn can also play fullback and I think Taute could be good on the wing)

Did you watch Boots & All last night? They said that that was just a training squad of Super 15 players and that Heyneke will pick a final squad next week with Overseas players also in the squad...

They mentioned Mujati as one of the guys that might join the squad too...

I didn't. That's good to know, thanks. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Mujati in there at 3. Doesn't give an inch to Jannie but I am sure anyone has better discipline than Jannie LOL. Kruger and Cilliers also decent options at 3.

My 22 for the English:

1. Beast (he, Oosthuizen or Greyling could start and I'll still be happy)
2. Bismarck (Strauss can't run over him like he did over Strauss on Saturday)
3. Kruger (or Dr du Plessis, I heard rumours of Coenie maybe playing tighthead? wouldn't mind having him there)
4. Etzebeth (obvious choice)
5. Bekker (not completely on form yet but I think it's just a matter of time)
6. Brussouw (we probably need a fetcher)
7. Coetzee (Alberts is not on form yet and misses too many tackles)
8. Strauss (definition of unfair - if Spies gets chosen and he doesn't. If Spies is in his 2009 form then yea obviously him)

9. Hougaard (obvious choice)
10. Lambie (you can't compare his defense to that of Steyn and I don't see a difference between their goal kicking this season honestly)
11. Mvovo (yea Habana is getting some form back, but this guy has been on form the entire season!)
12. F Steyn (power, x factor, kicking. I think he is a must there)
13. de Villiers (I suppose. JDJ is good, but too selfish I'd say)
14. Pietersen (stronger than Basson on defense, but anyone of them could do)
15. Taute (when last did we have a freakin' running fulback? Sorry but I don't rate Pietersen)

16. Strauss (just that bit better than Chili)
17. Coenie (or Greyling, don't mind)
18. Kruger (he really deserves a chance)
19. Alberts (or Spies. If Deysel gets more game time then I'd pick him)
20. van Zyl (didn't know who he was at the start of the season, but really took notice)
21. M Steyn (luckily Lambie and F Steyn can play almost anywhere, M Steyn can take over kicking if we were to lose Lambie)
22. Aplon (can cover wing and fullback. I would concider JDJ as well seeing that Lambie and F Steyn can also play fullback and I think Taute could be good on the wing)

That almost 100% what I would want to see as well, at least where it counts; I agree there is very little between Greyling/Oosthuizen/Beast all plenty able and also amongst our wings though here not in a good way LOL; solid enough but there are about 9 NZ/Aus wingers that'd get in ahead of any of wings ATM. I'd also through in Willie le Roux's name at wing though I think it'll snow all over SA before we have a white winger.

What can be said about this training squad?
Is it a good prediction of the june squad?

Springboks training squad:
Forwards: Coenie Oosthuizen, Tendai Mtawarira, Dean Greyling, Jannie du Plessis, Pat Cilliers, Werner Kruger, Bismarck du Plessis, Adriaan Strauss, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Flip van der Merwe, Eben Etzebeth, Andries Bekker, Juandré Kruger, Marcell Coetzee, CJ Stander, Heinrich Brüssow, Keegan Daniel, Willem Alberts, Jean Deysel, Pierre Spies, Ryan Kankowski, Josh Strauss.
Backs: Francois Hougaard, Jano Vermaak, Piet van Zyl, Morné Steyn, Pat Lambie, Elton Jantjies, Peter Grant, Wynand Olivier, Jean de Villiers, Juan de Jongh, JJ Engelbrecht, Bryan Habana, Bjorn Basson, JP Pietersen, Gio Aplon, Lwazi Mvovo, Akona Ndungane, Zane Kirchner, Jaco Taute, Joe Pietersen.

Well, look at the positions.

Loose head prop:
Coenie Oosthuizen
Tendai Mtawarira
Dean Greyling

Hooker:
Bismarck du Plessis
Adriaan Strauss
Chiliboy Ralepelle

Tight head prop:
Jannie du Plessis
Werner Kruger
Pat Cilliers

Lock:
Eben Etzebeth
Andries Bekker
Juandre Kruger
Flip van der Merwe

Openside:
Heinrich Brussow
Keegan Daniel
Marcell Coetzee

Blind side:
Willem Alberts
Jean Deysel
CJ Stander

8th man
Pierre Spies
Josh Strauss
Ryan Kankowski

Scrum half:
Francois Hougaard
Piet van Zyl
Jano Vermaak

Fly half:
Morne Steyn
Patrick Lambie
Peter Grant
Elton Jantjies

Wings:
Lwazi Mvovo
Bjorn Basson
JP Pietersen
Gio Aplon
Bryan Habana
Akona Ndungane

Centers:
Juan de Jongh
Jean de Villiers
JJ Engelbrecht
Wynand Olivier

Full-back:
Jaco Taute
Joe Pietersen
Zane Kirchner

Given the talks that Frans Steyn and Ruan Pienaar are still joining the squad, a lot of players will be dropped still. My picks for being dropped:

Greyling
Cilliers
Deysel
Stander
Kankowski
Vermaak
Jantjies
Ndungane
Mvovo
Engelbrecht
Olivier

Louis Koen and Pieter de Villiers (French prop, don't worry) in the staff now.
Can't believe I have an excuse to use this:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts