• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa squad for England tests

Louis Koen has did some good work the last couple of months with the younger kickers in SA and he had a good kicking percentage when he played...

Pieter de Villiers might just give our dumber props some knowledge at scrum time...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Is Montgomery no longer part of the Springboks' staff?

Sent from my computer using Firefox

No way, taking a dump is a perfect time for deep philosophical thoughts. I can't even begin to count the amount of times I reached a mind staggering epiphany whilst taking a dump.

No way, taking a dump is a perfect time for deep philosophical thoughts. I can't even begin to count the amount of times I reached a mind staggering epiphany whilst taking a dump.

Agreed, but now I can share it on TRF...

Usually 'sharing is caring', in this case 'sharing is scaring'. Please don't!

News24 reported yesterday that Heyneke Meyer called Fourie Du Preez and offered him the Captaincy on a short term period.

Now the question is, will he take it??

News24 reported yesterday that Heyneke Meyer called Fourie Du Preez and offered him the Captaincy on a short term period.

Now the question is, will he take it??

This is a HUGE step backwards, even if it is supposedly a short term thing.

This is a HUGE step backwards, even if it is supposedly a short term thing.

No it's not, Fourie Du Preez is a great player and he will be very refreshed for the tests. For the Short term it's great as he can help the young ones settle in, and he's now only 30, IMO he still has one more World Cup ahead of him. And he was once the greatest scrumhalf in the world, he can be again, he the General for a reason. And if Hougie plays wing, then that great move which won us the game vs. Wales in the World Cup will be back in the mould.

Also, Ruan Pienaar is back in SA, he was at the Cheetahs game last night...

Well, SA are short on true quality halfbacks.
I like Duvenage, but he isn't consistent enough.
McLeod is dire, we should be playing Hoffmann and Reinach.

If Ruan Pienaar can reach his previous best, then that is wonderful. Hougaard on the wing surely won't happen, he hasn't really played there all season. Anything to keep Habana out though. Willie le Roux should certainly be involved in some capacity. I have not seen much of Akona Ndungane, but le Roux is quite impressive, he offers a unique skillset, with his previous experience as an inside back.

It seems evident that Lambie will be playing fullback, better hope Pietersen/Viljoen hit some form soon, as Lambie is wasted back there. Shame Jaco Taute is being playing in midfield.

Well, SA are short on true quality halfbacks.
I like Duvenage, but he isn't consistent enough.
McLeod is dire, we should be playing Hoffmann and Reinach.

If Ruan Pienaar can reach his previous best, then that is wonderful. Hougaard on the wing surely won't happen, he hasn't really played there all season. Anything to keep Habana out though. Willie le Roux should certainly be involved in some capacity. I have not seen much of Akona Ndungane, but le Roux is quite impressive, he offers a unique skillset, with his previous experience as an inside back.

It seems evident that Lambie will be playing fullback, better hope Pietersen/Viljoen hit some form soon, as Lambie is wasted back there. Shame Jaco Taute is being playing in midfield.

Looks like he picked up a serious shoulder injury on Saturday. :(

No it's not, Fourie Du Preez is a great player and he will be very refreshed for the tests. For the Short term it's great as he can help the young ones settle in, and he's now only 30, IMO he still has one more World Cup ahead of him. And he was once the greatest scrumhalf in the world, he can be again, he the General for a reason. And if Hougie plays wing, then that great move which won us the game vs. Wales in the World Cup will be back in the mould.

Also, Ruan Pienaar is back in SA, he was at the Cheetahs game last night...

Yes it is, du Preez is well past his best and was once a great scrumhalf(best) but Hougaard is the future and we need to stick with him there, as he still has a way to go. Would be unfair to ask Hougaard to play wing once week, and halfback the next. Every time Hougaard came on at the WC, whether for Habs or du Preez, he added a spark and we were so much better.

We do NOT need another Smit- Bismark situation. And what makes Fourie a good choice for captain? Why don't we just call Smit and co. back as well?

Yes it is, du Preez is well past his best and was once a great scrumhalf(best) but Hougaard is the future and we need to stick with him there, as he still has a way to go. Would be unfair to ask Hougaard to play wing once week, and halfback the next. Every time Hougaard came on at the WC, whether for Habs or du Preez, he added a spark and we were so much better.

We do NOT need another Smit- Bismark situation. And what makes Fourie a good choice for captain? Why don't we just call Smit and co. back as well?

Agreed 100%!

I'm not too worried; I trust Meyer when he says it's (the captaincy) only on a short term bases. In my mind that means whoever the captain is whether it's Spies, Du Pree or De Villiers, it's only for the tests against England and presumably th Rugby Championship.

Beyond that though I hope/pray/wish that we start working at bringing some form players in and giving them the exposure to test rugby they deserve and need as all three of Spies, Du Preez and De Villiers aren't there for the long haul or are even the best in their position ATM (I'm taking Du Preez's form as RWC form as Japan doesn't count IMO).

I'm not too worried; I trust Meyer when he says it's (the captaincy) only on a short term bases. In my mind that means whoever the captain is whether it's Spies, Du Pree or De Villiers, it's only for the tests against England and presumably th Rugby Championship.

Beyond that though I hope/pray/wish that we start working at bringing some form players in and giving them the exposure to test rugby they deserve and need as all three of Spies, Du Preez and De Villiers aren't there for the long haul or are even the best in their position ATM (I'm taking Du Preez's form as RWC form as Japan doesn't count IMO).

Exactly!

Meyer wants to start his tenure as Bok Coach with wins! and Du Preez has shown that he can beat England (2007 comes to mind). Form is temporary, class is pemanent.

Exactly!

Meyer wants to start his tenure as Bok Coach with wins! and Du Preez has shown that he can beat England (2007 comes to mind). Form is temporary, class is pemanent.

Really? You want him back because he beat them half a decade a go? Wonder what Percy is up to now days.....he available as well? Also, why is picking du Preez going to get us wins? Hougaard right now is better than du Preez, simple. If du Preez really wanted to prove other wise he should of kept playing in SA.

Really? You want him back because he beat them half a decade a go? Wonder what Percy is up to now days.....he available as well? Also, why is picking du Preez going to get us wins? Hougaard right now is better than du Preez, simple. If du Preez really wanted to prove other wise he should of kept playing in SA.

LOL! you are completely misreading what I'm saying, when Du Preez is on form, there's no-one better than him at scrumhalf. Yes Hougaard has the X-factor and yes he's the best in Super rugby. But you can't hide away from Du Preez's class and his massive contributions he has given to the Boks.

Our Bok Squad is going to be very green (inexperienced) and you need a lot of experienced guys when playing top-level rugby. Meyer knows this, and he doesn't make that many mistakes.

But before you all jump on your bloody high horses, Calm the F down... Fourie hasn't accepted the proposal yet...

Latest posts