• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Highlanders vs Crusaders. Forsyth Barr Stadium (3/3/2012, 06:35 GMT)

have we any first fives in the woder training group? coughtonybrowncough

In that case Jabby, the Blues might as well have brought Spencer back. It's a shame Slade isn't back yet, while the Landers have the forward pack to front against the Crusaders (against anybody really), their lack of backline strength is going to cost them this game. Losing Crotty, who IMO is miles better and more of a threat than AWhitelock, isn't going to hurt them as much as losing Noakes is going to hurt the Highlanders. Be a brave man who bets against a Saders victory.

ODT said:
Rugby: Highlanders drop Jimmy Cowan
ODT said:
All Black halfback Jimmy Cowan has been dropped from the Highlanders' starting XV for tomorrow's big game against the Crusaders.
Cowan, who played poorly against the Chiefs last weekend, has been replaced by Aaron Smith.
Lima Sopoaga starts at first five in place of the injured Chris Noakes, while All Black first five Colin Slade returns from injury to appear on the bench.
Highlanders to play Crusaders:
Ben Smith, Buxton Popoali'i, Tamati Ellison, Phil Burleigh, Hosea Gear, Lima Sopoaga, Aaron Smith, Nasi Manu, John Hardie, Adam Thomson, Nick Croswell, Josh Bekhuis, Chris King, Andrew Hore, Jamie Mackintosh (captain). Reserves: Jason Rutledge, Bronson Murray, Culum Retallick, James Haskell, Jimmy Cowan, Colin Slade, Telusa Veainu.

Big call but the right one I believe, not a bad call with salde either, ten minutes at the eand, really ease him back in

cheers for the compliment, never thought of myself as brave

considering Soponga is considered as number 2 and Noakes was 3 im not sure it will hurt us too much. They have said Noakes ony got the start to make things easier on Burleigh (as they play together for BOP). now Soponga and Burleigh have had another week to gel I think we will be ok. smith, Smith, gear, ellison and buxton et al ain't exactly the dross we have had before

Last edited:
Brilliant game so far from the Highlanders, I missed the opening 15 minutes which I presume the Crusaders had control of.

Hardy has been somewhat unlucky so far, been in space with supportinng players which he probably thought he couldn't pass to with any positive effect, so keeping the ball and going to ground with supporting players in-tow to form the ruck was probably the right call, as opposed to going backwards and the receiver being tackled with one less supporting player and more Crusaders support.

This game is awesome. But the Highlanders aren't rucking much at all, they are just getting any Crusaders' player that enters the ruck into a headlock and wrestling them away. Something refs will need to sort out soon.

Aye, hate that headlock technique, we saw last year with Michael Rhodes (against a NZ team I think) jus how dangerous it can get if the ref doesn't clamp down on it.

Otherwise 20-10 o the Highlanders at half-time. Gear has been a monster on defence with some good hits.

Yea, Gear is finding his feet in this side. Good to watch.

I like this game, proper rugby. Both teams try to go wide when possible but when its not on they pick and drive to suck in the defenders. Some of the other teams in Super rugby could learn something from watching this game instead of this nancy volleyball style that seems to be so prevalent

Last edited:
Aye, hate that headlock technique, we saw last year with Michael Rhodes (against a NZ team I think) jus how dangerous it can get if the ref doesn't clamp down on it.

Otherwise 20-10 o the Highlanders at half-time. Gear has been a monster on defence with some good hits.

The Highlanders. How ironic.

Excellent half of running rugby. The Highlanders have it by the balls as long as they can keep the tempo up. I'd expect the Crusaders to try and turn things around in the next 40 however, they usually win their games in the final 20 minutes of the second half so watch this space.

Smith is having an outstanding game, he difinatly deserves his spot over Cowan. A bit disappointed we havn't seen more of Gear though.

Oh dear, if the Highlanders lose the scoreboard watcher is going to be lynched.

Missed the last 10 mins, what happened?

All I saw was Peyper bloody end the game too early, the scrum turnover should have happened. wtf was he thinking. (I hope I'm wrong, what do you think SmartCooky?)

Smith played very well today - sort of sealed Cowan's fate. Dunno if he's got a boot on him though, I don't recall him kicking once...

Had the Highlander's had last night's ref they'd be penalised off the park, they're flopping over the ball every second ruck.

All I saw was Peyper bloody end the game too early, the scrum turnover should have happened. wtf was he thinking. (I hope I'm wrong, what do you think SmartCooky?)

The way I see it is that when the scrum collapses and it's a reset scrum, they have to play the scrum, but if the feed was good and the opposition turn it over, and the ref blows in favour of the other team (in this case, the Crusaders) then it's a new scrum and therefore the ref has the right to then end the game...

Smartcooky, please feel free to edit if I'm wrong...

The way I see it is that when the scrum collapses and it's a reset scrum, they have to play the scrum, but if the feed was good and the opposition turn it over, and the ref blows in favour of the other team (in this case, the Crusaders) then it's a new scrum and therefore the ref has the right to then end the game...

Smartcooky, please feel free to edit if I'm wrong...

Right on the money Heineken. Jaco was correct to end the game at that point.

A scrum that is reset is the same scrum, and it has to be completed even if time is up. However, a wheeled scrum results in a turnover of possession, so it is a new scrum, and if time is up, the game is over.

Last edited:
Oh yea, I remember asking a kind-of related question on the refs forum before. I hate 5.7(e) it confuses the hell out of me :lol: Thanks for the replies.

GEAR!!!! :D

i really like what jamie Josephs is doing with his players!! with motivation etc... this team looks hungry for a win, they play with passion and desire!!!

esp with Gear... he is a diff player under Josephs... he really seems motivated and his work rate went up!! brilliant... i'm sure Gear is still running at 35%...

he can offer a lot more!!!

Nice 1 highlanders!!!

Latest posts