• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

THE LIKELY WINNERS Positives and Negatives

valley commando

First XV
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Pontypridd
Has the last few weeks altered views on who will win the WC ?

PLUS
For me I was impressed with the Boks they have shown a vast improvement as the competition moves forward, the kick up the backside after Japan was maybe what they needed.
Oz did everything right against England, the only chink I saw was they didn't look comfortable under the high ball.
Argentina seem to be getting it together after a slow start and will push however they meet in the 1/4s
France are looking impressive.

MINUS
New Zealand didn't look all that last week, they made plenty of mistakes, its a long time since Carter missed that many, I was unimpressed with them.
Ireland yesterday were distinctly average and made plenty of mistakes.

PREDICTION
France to make the final.
New Zealand to not make the final.

i really fancy Argentina, once they click they seem to cut sides apart. could run france or ireland very close.

France, I've said for the beginning, ilI think they are being underestimated- frighting powerful forwards, quick agile backs- plenty of depth. If Wales beat Australia and top the group I would fancy them to beat scotland or Japan and make the semis , Australia look too good though so I'm not banking on that

i really fancy Argentina, once they click they seem to cut sides apart. could run france or ireland very close.

They do seem to improve game by game and aren't scared of blooding youngsters, I think they could beat Ireland but would come unstuck against the French.

- - - Updated - - -

France, I've said for the beginning, ilI think they are being underestimated- frighting powerful forwards, quick agile backs- plenty of depth. If Wales beat Australia and top the group I would fancy them to beat scotland or Japan and make the semis , Australia look too good though so I'm not banking on that

I've said it several times, I'd love a Wales France final, for 2 reasons, a chance to get our own back for 2011 and I've had a tenner on the final;ists at 100/1, mind you that was before the WC started and pre our injury crisis, but I strongly believe France will win their group and get to the final.

Couldn't agree more man, they have one of the best packs, the best scrum, and the two best wingers by a country mile. Their wingers are on fire, lighting everyone up, playing from the back as it should be done. It really is beautiful to watch, and I now have a big soft spot for the Argies. I am very worried about Ireland's ability to finally get over the quarter final exit-hump, whether we beat France or not. Very tough side of the draw for us.

It's not really rational, but i have this feeling RSA will get away with this one.

South Africa vs Oz final maybe? Wouldnt that be a cracker

I wouldn´t be surprised if we face a semifinal with only teams from the southern hemisphere. South Africa is likely to win Pool B, while I think Australia will win Pool A, although I will cheer for Wales. They´ve impressed me the most since they have had to overcome so many injuries so far.
Argentina will be tough to play either for France and for Ireland. If the Argies can unleash their wingers like in the match against Tonga they get a real chance to advance to the semis.

New Zealand is a whole different matter. It will be interesting if they can improve against sides like France or Ireland. If the All Blacks find their composure, they probably will go to the finals. Otherwise the quarter final could be the end of their campaign.

Last edited:
I have all realistic options ~equal; I simply can't split them:

NZ were my favorites and possibly still are but they've looked beatable. Saying that I know things can change drastically from 1 game to the next so they remain my tournament favorites because that amount of talent and know-how will count.
England are obviously out. They were a big favorite of mine beforehand. Their eit really makes me reconsider what I had in mind for SF and final fixtures.
Aus I'd have had behind all of SA and Ireland at the start but they are looming ominous I have to admit. I just cringe at the prospect of us getting Pocock'ed again in a RWC. I'm hopng SA and Aus both top their pool and some else deal with them.
SA. Sure, we lost to Japan. In a weird way that's almost *why* I have us as a realistic option; I suspect we won't be complacent for any of our remaining matches where I see complacency as our main enemy. At our most motivated I really believe we have it in us to beat those above us.
Argentina, Ireland, France and Wales are all realistic options but I see their chances as less (though not a lot less but just that feeling in the gut) than that of NZ, Aus and SA though anything can (and probably will) happen in a one-off knock-out fixture.

I have all realistic options ~equal; I simply can't split them:

NZ were my favorites and possibly still are but they've looked beatable. Saying that I know things can change drastically from 1 game to the next so they remain my tournament favorites because that amount of talent and know-how will count.
England are obviously out. They were a big favorite of mine beforehand. Their eit really makes me reconsider what I had in mind for SF and final fixtures.
Aus I'd have had behind all of SA and Ireland at the start but they are looming ominous I have to admit. I just cringe at the prospect of us getting Pocock'ed again in a RWC. I'm hopng SA and Aus both top their pool and some else deal with them.
SA. Sure, we lost to Japan. In a weird way that's almost *why* I have us as a realistic option; I suspect we won't be complacent for any of our remaining matches where I see complacency as our main enemy. At our most motivated I really believe we have it in us to beat those above us.
Argentina, Ireland, France and Wales are all realistic options but I see their chances as less (though not a lot less but just that feeling in the gut) than that of NZ, Aus and SA though anything can (and probably will) happen in a one-off knock-out fixture.

Hoping that France or Ireland cause and upset against NZ then Wales someone overcome your boks, and last of all Scotland or Japan beat Australia (which definitely won't happen) haha. Be nice to see the competition not be between the big 3. Argentina could very well beat France/Ireland too which will mess people's theories up a little

Hoping that France or Ireland cause and upset against NZ then Wales someone overcome your boks, and last of all Scotland or Japan beat Australia (which definitely won't happen) haha. Be nice to see the competition not be between the big 3. Argentina could very well beat France/Ireland too which will mess people's theories up a little

Very possible. I'd be surprised if Scotland or Japan managed to turn over Aussie but then again Japan did turn my Bokke over so I'm loath to fully count anyone out really.

Ireland, France, Argentina and Japan all in the Semis would certainly go against what anyone would've thought at the start and make the bookies smile I'd bet.